PDA

View Full Version : 'Normal' one page checkout % incomplete?

GGG
12-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Driving me insane.

We are averaging about 25% of visitors to our one page checkout who don't complete check out. This seems insane to me. Isn't this after shoppers have verified shipping rates, entered coupon codes, etc? I don't believe they have all forgotten their credit card.

Our other #s are good...ratio of abandoned carts to completed orders, site bounce rate, etc.

Is 25% a 'normal' one page checkout fail or do I need to do something to address it?

Thanks.

bty_marketing
12-05-2012, 06:26 PM
That doesn't seem high to me. Personally, I may get that far and just see how it feels to be spending that much. Sometimes, I go back and edit my cart. Sometimes, if my wallet is somewhere else, I may put off getting it, then by the time I do, I re-think my purchase. (One reason I think offering PayPal is great for impulse buys.) I would say I checkout about 60% of the time, but another 40% I chicken out before pulling the trigger. Lately, I've been a big candidate for abandoned cart emails and often it does get me to come back and purchase but other times, I've just decided that it was a bad idea and let it go. Maybe everyone is not as decision-impaired as myself.

deanp
12-06-2012, 07:44 AM
I agree with Shelly. Well said.

shamieya
12-06-2012, 09:59 AM
That doesn't seem high to me. Personally, I may get that far and just see how it feels to be spending that much. Sometimes, I go back and edit my cart. Sometimes, if my wallet is somewhere else, I may put off getting it, then by the time I do, I re-think my purchase. (One reason I think offering PayPal is great for impulse buys.) I would say I checkout about 60% of the time, but another 40% I chicken out before pulling the trigger. Lately, I've been a big candidate for abandoned cart emails and often it does get me to come back and purchase but other times, I've just decided that it was a bad idea and let it go. Maybe everyone is not as decision-impaired as myself.

Since I started doing this, I've been more conscious of how I shop one and I do this as well. I'll put everything in the cart and then decide I don't really need to buy this right now or I want to sleep on it and come back. This is about the same as my store (if that helps, lol).

GGG
12-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Isn't there a difference between the shopping cart and the one page checkout?

I bail on shopping carts all the time...however, by the time I'm in the checkout page I'm ready to go.

shamieya
12-07-2012, 07:14 AM
Yes, I was talking about the checkout- I start putting in my payment information and then I contemplate my decision. Actually Volusion is better than most, IMO, because there's only one page. I have bailed out on other sites with 3-4 pages where you put in billing add, shipping add, review order, etc. For my own site, I'm afraid to do too much more to it. You don't want to distract people but you still need to be persuasive. My opinion is it should be as simple as possible.

GGG
12-07-2012, 07:26 AM
LOL. Just goes to show everyone shops differently.

Get me on the checkout and you've got my $...:)