PDA

View Full Version : A / B Testing on the Volusion Platform

gifty
01-26-2013, 03:06 PM
What are your experiences with A / B testing on Volusion and what testing software are you using? Do you also test your emails before sending them to the whole list?

Quadica
01-26-2013, 10:57 PM
I have never done A/B testing on Volusion, but I do test all of the email campaigns we send out. MailChimp makes this particularly easy to do and the results are always surprising. For example, I discovered that the open rate for our customer base is always significantly higher if we send out text only vs. full graphic emails.

Doing small test emails (to a few hundred subscribers) before sending out a campaign to your entire list also gives you an opportunity to tweak the email in case you get any particularly negative feedback, or emails from folks who point out grammatical/spelling errors.

I swear that at least 5% of my subscribers are English Professors/Teachers/Majors just waiting to pounce.

GGG
01-27-2013, 03:42 AM
I swear that at least 5% of my subscribers are English Professors/Teachers/Majors just waiting to pounce.

Just want to say thanks for the early a.m. laugh :D

JustinWebPro
01-27-2013, 09:27 PM
Edit: (This is for A/B testing on your store, not email)

We used to use Google Website Optimizer for free A/B testing until Google moved the functionality over to Google Analytics (GA). Unfortunately Volusion didn't support the URL parameters used by GA and the store pages would come up as a "Invalid Input" error. I submitted a ticket to Volusion at that time (August 2012) and never heard anything back. They replied to my ticket 2 weeks ago saying they've finally solved the issue.

Since we didn't initially hear anything back from Volusion we ditched GA and started using optimizely.com (not free). It has simple to use interface and people that aren't programmers can easily setup experiments (although knowing a little jQuery does help). I highly recommend them if you're not a developer, but it's not a free service like GA Experiments. If you have a programming skill set and want to save some money, then I would go with Google Analytics Experiments, otherwise use optimizely.com.

Ben
01-28-2013, 03:31 AM
Very similar experience to Justin, I used to use GWO with some success until they pulled it.
I'll be testing Optimizely in the next few weeks and I'll post here when I've got a feel for it.

eellsworth
01-28-2013, 09:23 AM
We use Optimizely.

ritchey
01-28-2013, 09:32 AM
www.Visualwebsiteoptimizer.com

swilliams
01-28-2013, 09:35 AM
We have seen the same as Justin. Previous URL parameter issues using GA tests with Volusion that prevented us from testing. I have not tried in a couple months.
We have used Optimizely with good success on many Volusion stores. There are still a few challenges to make certain elements work, but overall a good product. The bigger challenge sometimes is testing things that you would be able to roll out on Volusion without having too much Javascript running on your site. We have often seen that as some of the visual changes are implemented with JS the visitor sees a jump or a flicker. Just something to be aware of. There are many opportunities that are easily accomplished with Optimizely (even without coding experience as Justin points out), but may not implement well on Volusion. So, even if you have solid data that points to a better user experience, it may not implement well.

All that said, I would recommend Optimizely for Volusion A/B tests.