PDA

View Full Version : Conversion rate help.

mrwishack
05-06-2013, 03:39 PM
If anyone has any suggestions on what we might be doing wrong please feel free to comment. Our conversion rate isn't what it should be and I cannot figure out why.

http://www.wishack.com

Thanks,

Ben
05-07-2013, 01:45 AM
Before we try to figure out any changes, a couple of questions:
First, how are you measuring conversion rate?

Second, what is your conversion rate? If you're not comfortable posting it here then feel free to message me. Conversion rates vary wildly from industry to industry, so it's important to be benchmarking against the right figure.

If I had to make a suggestion now without seeing any of the data I would say to get rid of that giant blue Facebook pop up on the left. It's intrusive and it gets in the way of your nav menu, not to mention slowing the site down.

shamieya
05-07-2013, 05:19 AM
The million dollar question...

You guys have EVERYTHING, wow. I need to do a little shopping. My two cents:

Others have mentioned this before but if your customers tend to buy one item, you may want to test not using the add-to-cart pop-up.

Is registration optional? At the one-page-checkout, it doesn't say. If it is mandatory, you may want to test making it optional. You list benefits of registration so I'm guessing it's optional.

On the product page, shopping cart and checkout I don't see anything telling me how long shipping takes. I don't easily find that info on your shipping page.

When I got to your one page checkout, it looked a little askew- not aligned. That is purely personal opinion though. You have #3 next to shipping, but no #1 and #2. You probably want to test some security symbols on your checkout page and/or around your credit card entry.

Rick H.
05-07-2013, 07:21 AM
Is "conversion rate" the correct question? Conversion rate is a calculation of traffic/conversions and described as a percentage. Is the real question simply that you are not getting expected number of sales?

After a quick look, here are some observations off the cuff:

You have focused too much on meta keywords and not enough (if any) on meta descriptions. Meta keywords were deprecated years ago in relation to SEO. Every page I looked at had the same meta description. This is a big no-no with Google and is seen as duplicate content. Check your Google Webmaster Tools account. If you do not have one, set it up now.

In my opinion you need some serious help with SEO. More (quality) traffic = more conversions. This brings us back to the original question. Is it a conversion rate problem or simply a lack of sales problem?

mrwishack
05-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feed back so far! Being an eCommerce site a "conversion" to us is measured as a sale and if I understand correctly industry average for furniture/home decor should be between 2%-3% conversions to sales.

Rick H.
05-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Ok. To be clear, you should have 2-3 conversions per 100 visitors, based on the the average that you mentioned.

mrwishack
05-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Yes thanks correct.

mrwishack
05-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Thanks Ben,

Blue Facebook "like" Pop out has been nuked...we have had a few people mention this and we have found a better solution.

Rick H.
05-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Ok. Now that we have the definition of conversion rate agreed upon, I would not rely too much on what the "industry average" is. Ultimately, you have to blaze your own trail anyway.

I don't see any functional problems with your site, but as mentioned in my previous post, you need to do some SEO work first. Get those meta descriptions rolling. Also, there is very little content on your home page.

I also see that you have used default descriptions from many of your vendors....so has your competition....this dilutes your presence in the marketplace. And speaking of marketing, I see no listings in Google Shopping, for example, yet your competitors are all over the place.

I'm not so sure that you have a conversion issue. It looks more like an SEO and Marketing issue.

GGG
05-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Only had a few minutes to look at and always working on our own conversion rate, but for what it's worth.

Please lose that FB pop-up. I think it's distracting people from your page and your products.
EDIT: Would people quit typing while I am? LOL

Having said that, I headed to your cribs category since I did purchase a crib online 6 years ago...

a) I noticed weird characters in some of your product descriptions. You may want to go through and get those corrected.
If I'm spending several hundred $ or more online, I prefer a feeling of professionalism/confidence in the site & in the company. Those weird characters make me nervous as a customer.

b) I noticed that while your product descriptions state that a crib is available in four finishes...I then had to go up and type in the crib name to actually locate/click on the color I was interested in. Not really sure how you could change that, but it's a little confusing when reading the description.

c) Have you compared your prices to your competitors? I didn't have a chance to do that, but I spent much time doing so 6 years ago.

d) Given the size/price of your products, you may want to address how returns are handled immediately. Well, if it's a good/easy return policy I mean :) Again, I had no time to check...but that's always a big concern when I purchase a large item online.

e) I made a fast pass through your dining room sets since recently purchased a new one in brick and mortar. Can't remember what description I was on, but I kind of thought it was full of b.s. because if you have a 60 inch table I can't see how you're getting more than two chairs on a side unless it has a leaf? I didn't see a leaf?

Therefore, I'm not sure I'd stick with the straight manufacturer descriptions...they usually have no clue what they're talking about.

Bottom line...try to think like your customers/shoppers.

And I had no idea there were such cute vanities available for my Granddaughter!!....lol...yep, I may be back.... :)

Rick H.
05-07-2013, 11:52 AM
BTW - I see you have plenty of Facebook posts. Social marketing is secondary regardless of the hype. For us it is waaaaaaaaay secondary. Put some of that Facebook time/effort into your site instead.

Also, ResellerRatings.com is a ripoff. Your rate may be low now, but once you start to get some reviews, they will jack up your rate to an unreasonable amount. I would ditch them before they start trying to put their hand in your pocket.

shamieya
05-07-2013, 12:16 PM
And I had no idea there were such cute vanities available for my Granddaughter!!....lol...yep, I may be back.... :)

I've actually ended up shopping at a couple of commenters' stores. I need some furniture too!

mrwishack
05-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Rick,

Thanks for the feedback. The reason I am feeling as though we are having a conversion problem is that with the CPC marketing we have done we seem to spend very quickly and not get the expected result. When I list items on Shopping.com the traffic is targeted in that they find a dining table on shopping.com see us listed and click to come to our site but don't convert. I'm just not sure if it is a security thing (site throwing up warning or people aren't feeling secure) or as mentioned above maybe my check out process needs to be clearer. I do agree with your assessment of my SEO and I have pulled back on the marketing to try and figure out my "conversions" but with all the help we will figure this out.

Thanks!!

P.S. This is the best marketing we have done in a while ;)

Ben
05-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Rick,
with the CPC marketing we have done we seem to spend very quickly and not get the expected result.

CPC is really hard to get a good return from, if it's not making sales stop, do some analysis and ramp it back up gradually focusing on one campaign at a time.

To be totally honest I think 3% is optimistic, generally the higher the ticket price the harder an item is to sell online so for smaller items 3% might be achievable but on the furniture I'd aim a bit lower.

I totally agree with what has been said about SEO, sort out your meta descriptions and work through your products making your description unique - manufacturers product descriptions are the bane of many an ecommerce site. If you don't have time to do it then spend your CPC budget on hiring a freelancer.

KKS
05-08-2013, 12:06 PM
I agree that SEO is top priority.

Do you have a Pinterest page? The link in your footer goes to the general sign in page. Pinterest brings us some traffic and conversions.

AWCthreads
05-08-2013, 01:11 PM
This is an interesting read: http://www.webanalyticsworld.net/2012/12/case-study-why-you-should-stop-optimizing-for-conversion-rate.html

Which is a post taken from comments given after a post by Avinash Kaushik: http://www.kaushik.net/avinash/silly-marketing-data-strategy-metrics-mistakes/

eellsworth
05-09-2013, 12:17 PM
What's your home page bounce rate? I don't think the home page resonates and should be updated. Here are my thoughts:

Where's your value proposition? Why should I buy from you? Without a reason for them to give you their money you'll make it much harder.
Slider needs to be stronger. The blue overwhelms the page but there really isn't a call-to-action. Time to get outside and enjoy...yet the picture is of empty chairs. You need to build an emotional connection to your hero image. Even something like: You Could Be Here...would connect better. Think about how your furniture will make them feel and then connect that to your products and you'll sell more. Also, your images have not CTA button. It is obvious to you that all you need to do is click on the image.
The Featured Items are disjointed and not relevant to each other. I'd recommend a theme of products or highlight your best sellers. Have a reason why those products are up there and compel them to want to find out more. I also don't like how they're different next time I come back. What if I wanted to see what was there before?
Remember, people don't read on the web...they scan. You need to guide them to where and what you want them to go and do next.
Look into your analytics...where are people exiting? Where are the high bounce rates? What keywords are driving those landing page bounces and exits? Focus your efforts there first.

We see so many stores where people just put up their products and think the sales should start rolling in. That is no longer the case. You need to build an emotional connection with your visitor. Develop that trust. There's no penalty for them hitting the back button and going to your competitor so make the most of that visit and give them a reason to do business with you.

You do that and you're conversion rate will increase.

mrwishack
05-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Wow...I have a lot of work to do! Thanks everyone for all the help. I will post an update in a few days but I better get back to it...

lexity
05-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Wow...I have a lot of work to do! Thanks everyone for all the help. I will post an update in a few days but I better get back to it...

Hi there,

Are you currently running a retargeted ad campaign? If not, I would suggest looking into that to help attract visitors who have come to your site but not purchased as well.

Hope this helps!

- Priscilla @ Lexity