PDA

View Full Version : Quick Remarketing Guide

Ben
05-17-2013, 03:00 AM
Just thought I'd share a quick overview of how I've just set up a very quick remarketing campaign for someone.
I'm not going to go over the technicalities as these are covered better than I could within Google's literature. I'm just going to cover a few principles you might find useful.

First, make sure you have the analytics code upgraded for remarketing - guide here (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2444872?hl=en)

With the old version of remarketing you had to tag individual pages to create groups of visitors, or audiences, as google calls them. With the updated Analytics code you can define audiences from within Analytics, provided that your Adwords and Analytics are using the same Google account or are linked.

You can define audiences from within the Admin section of your Analytics account under the remarketing tab.

I set up audiences for each of the major categories and brands using the "Visitors who visited a specific page/section of my site" option.
I also created a couple of audiences for star products.

Now here's a quick tip - using the "Create my own remarketing type using Visitor Segments" option, create a list that includes all visitors where revenue is greater than zero. You can use this in two ways, the first is to market to people who have bought from you, the second is to exclude these visitors from other campaigns so you're not harassing people who have already bought.

In Adwords create a new remarketing campaign and set up an ad group for each of the audiences you've made.
If you don't have the time or skills to create display ads yourself, the adwords display ad builder is pretty good. For each category or brand you are creating ads for, just use one of the product showcase templates and drop in images of a few of the best products from that category or brand and include your logo for branding.

Once you've got the hang of it you'll be able to set up new audiences and campaigns in no time.

I've found that showing people ads for products that they've already viewed gives a way better CTR and conversion rate than any other display network advertising I've ever done.