PDA

View Full Version : PayPal Express not pre-populating State/Province dropdown

Urbanbiketech
05-21-2013, 06:23 AM
Hi,

I've recently activated PayPal Express Payments. I've run a test order through and have an issue. When returning from the PayPal Express login process, Volusion populates every address field EXCEPT for the province, likely because it is a dropdown menu.

As the customer, it's easy to miss the missing province field and when clicking on complete order, Volusion throws up a big ugly yellow list of errors/notes. (see screenshot)

I'm going to set the phone number to optional which should get rid of a couple of those errors, but can anyone tell me how to fix the Province field issue?

Is this happening with US accounts? Does PayPal populate US state properly? I would sincerely appreciate it if someone could test with a US PayPal account. No need to complete the order, just go throug the PayPal Express login process to see if it populates the US state.

Thanks,

V

Margaret
05-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Yup, it populated for me.

OHC
05-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Populates for me too. Did not populate the phone number.

Urbanbiketech
05-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Thank you. So it must be a Canada-specific issue. I wonder why the telephone number isn't populating, though?

AWCthreads
05-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Did not populate the phone number.

Is it supposed to populate all the required fields?

Urbanbiketech
05-21-2013, 11:45 AM
I guess not. It looks like PayPal Express doesn't send over a phone number, so the only way to know that is when the customer attempts to complete the order and gets that yellow error box.

I called Volusion, and there's no way to make the telephone number optional with the Volusion platform. I really was hoping for PayPal Express to be seamless. What's needed (as I do see the value in having a customer's phone number) is a big reminder or highlight on the phone number field so that it's clear what's missing. I actually glossed over the little red stars a few times...might have been tired.

demitrius
05-21-2013, 12:59 PM
There is an option in PayPal itself to make a phone number mandatory, have you tried that?

http://www.redbridgenet.com/development/require-phone-number-in-paypal-express-checkout/

OHC
05-21-2013, 01:07 PM
There is an option in PayPal itself to make a phone number mandatory, have you tried that?

http://www.redbridgenet.com/development/require-phone-number-in-paypal-express-checkout/

Thanks Demitrius! That worked!

Marc_NY
05-21-2013, 01:26 PM
If you want you could handle this with a script which whenever a Paypal Express order flow comes in it automatically populates with "blank' characters and if you also like will hide the telephone number field(s). This would allow the form to pass the Volusion stupid test.