PDA

View Full Version : How to properly set-up a Goal and Funnel

Toast
07-03-2012, 08:09 AM
Hi Volusion and Google ninjas,

We just opened our first Volusion store 3 weeks ago.
I had Google analytics set-up on it, but am a newbie at it!

I'm trying to properly set-up a Goal and a Funnel.
I think that's what I need...and I don't think I did it right/optimally...

Here are the settings I've used:

Goal Type: URL Destination
Goal URL: /OrderFinished.asp
Match Type: Head Match
Case Sensitive: is not checked

Goal Funnel:
How do I set this up, when Volusion has a one-page checkout?
In other words, there is no specific funnel or path of pages that lead to the final checkout.
But we still want to see how people GET to the /OrderFinished.asp page
Or rather, we want to see where we lose them, what page(s) they turn around and leave us from...

Any insights?
Tips?

Thanks so much!
Toast

swilliams
07-03-2012, 09:20 AM
To use the funnel....

Check "Use funnel"
Add "/ShoppingCart.asp" as the URL in Step 1
Then add "/one-page-checkout.asp" as the URL in Step 2

Later you can go to Funnel Visualization in Analytics to see where people drop off

eellsworth
07-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Don't forget...you should have an additional filter forcing all of your URLs to lowercase. And finally, you should have a pure, unfiltered or altered profile of your raw GA data.

Toast
07-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Thanks so much guys! Really big help!

I think I need to go to Google Analytics school, though.
...I'm working with a GA account that had already been set-up by someone else (previous site was run using BigCommerce and I re-built it on Volusion), and now that I'm learning more about GA, I'm beginning to see how that's a whole 'nother beast in and of itself...

Thanks again!

jmartyka
07-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Avinash Kaushik's Web Analytics 2.0 is an awesome book on Analytics. Its not specific to GA, but uses GA for most examples. And its VERY readable. Available at your choice of fine book sellers.

AWCthreads
07-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Avinash Kaushik's Web Analytics 2.0 is an awesome book on Analytics. Its not specific to GA, but uses GA for most examples. And its VERY readable. Available at your choice of fine book sellers.

He's also the faculty chair of Analytics at Market Motive (http://www.marketmotive.com/internet-marketing-training-and-certification-signup?top=home&topic=WebAnalytics).

Alvinl
01-02-2013, 02:11 AM
Just to add that I had trouble understanding Google Analytics at first and I hated reading the dry tutorials on Google's homepage as I'm more of a visual person.

I went on Youtube and found these videos by Conversion University quite helpful in getting a good grasp of the topic. If you watch one a day you should be good.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ConversionUniversity

GentleBath
01-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Don't forget...you should have an additional filter forcing all of your URLs to lowercase. And finally, you should have a pure, unfiltered or altered profile of your raw GA data.

What? in GA or V? And btw thanks again for the steps, I think I had mine set-up wrong. I'm in the same boat resetting my GA up again for V.

Ben
01-03-2013, 06:02 AM
I have these layers in the funnel:

Goal page: /OrderFinished.asp
RegEx match type

Step one: -p/ - Viewed a product
Step two: /shoppingcart.asp - Cart
Step three: /one-page-checkout.asp - Checkout

Gives you a 4 layer funnel starting at viewing a product page.

swilliams
01-03-2013, 09:56 AM
What? in GA or V? And btw thanks again for the steps, I think I had mine set-up wrong. I'm in the same boat resetting my GA up again for V.

The lowercase filter should be set up in Google Analytics.

You can do this by:
1. Login to GA
2. Click on Admin
3. Select the appropriate profile (we would recommend having at least 2 profiles with 1 that has no filters, etc)
4. Click on Filters
5. Click on + New Filter
6. Set up as per below

Filter Name = Lowercase URI Filter
Filter Type = Custom Filter ... & ... Lowercase
Filter Field = Request URI

7. Click Save