PDA

View Full Version : Guide to Low Cost Google AdWords Campaigns

GentleBath
10-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Very good series from Portent Inc on starting a low-cost Google Adwords campaign. It covers almost point for point all the techniques that have taken me about 2 months and umpteen phone calls to the AdWords Support line to implement.

Since I have implemented all these features and settings in my AdWords Campaigns, ROI have really improved and costs are coming down. It has produced saving outside of AdWords too with reduced shipping costs related to bid adjustments to my regional area.

I have not formally compared the difference but a guestimate is that our regional sales are now running about 8:10 and that is wonderful for shipping costs! At one point I actually disabled all states in the West Coast and Hawaii and Alaska. I reinstated CA and AZ when my sales dropped in the few months but even now that our sales are picking up we still are getting most of them from our targeted states and a lot more in our home state which has the largest bid adj of all.

Also I have large neg KW for every campaign and PLA. I try to review search terms weekly and add any new Neg KW to the list. I am finally getting the search terms and url matching up nicely, at the start I was spending a fortune on totally inappropriate terms and matches, it surprising how off-base google can be matching terms without any limitations.

Building Successful Low-Budget PPC (http://www.portent.com/blog/ppc/building-successful-low-budget-ppc-tracking-your-success.htm)

Ken
11-08-2013, 02:38 AM
Brenda,

Every Monday I go true all the search terms and every week Google finds another odd words to add to search terms as to justify clicks. Google know we don't sell these items or have any relation to it but they don't care, it is all about $$$$$$ at google these days. I don't even complain anymore it take too long and it is a waist of time for a few dollars (G. call, e-mail as if they cared it is closer to harassment) properly as found by most others. Just keep the unproductive keywords down like garden wheat.

Thanks for the link. Appreciated.

Ken

GentleBath
11-09-2013, 08:18 PM
Ken - my neg KW list is 20x's longer (or more) than my KW list! I do what you do and check all terms weekly and adjust my lists - add neg KW, adjust KW and repeat! It was amazing what a help that Neg kw could be.

Also FYI, someone at Google taught me the use of Broad Match Modifiers and that is what I mostly use in neg KW. That takes any queries with my banned words off the table for clicks. That probably help me clean up my matches more than anything.

So +wholesale will neg out any query with wholesale in the string even if there is a direct match to one of your KW. Have to careful, but with some terms it is very helpful.

Ken
11-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Brenda,

We have one add group for each item and groups for broader important terms. To control this in the best possible way I made separate negative keyword libraries for different categories groups and one shared negative library that work for everything. So as an example: zipper, zip, zipped, zib, -and all the variations of this keyword will not be used anywhere (think I removed 15 variations of this word alone).
It works well only it just Bing would offer the same shared library feature. For Bing I can suggest there download Bing Ad Editor, it is a bit "old style MS-Dos - 1998) but atleast you don't have to sit and wait for the rendering during the update. Microsoft servers are so bad so is there report module.

GentleBath
11-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Ken,

It works well only it just Bing would offer the same shared library feature. For Bing I can suggest there download Bing Ad Editor, it is a bit "old style MS-Dos - 1998) but at least you don't have to sit and wait for the rendering during the update. Microsoft servers are so bad so is there report module.

That is good to know. I have not used Bing AdWords for a year or so. I dropped them after only a few months due to poor roi probably about this time last year. I have heard they have improved greatly over the course of this year, so I am going to try and setup a product feed to them and try their ads one more time. Do they have a version of PLA or something close? When I used them last it was only for text ad campaigns.

Ken
11-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Brenda,

Within Bing you can setup a "store" and upload your products via a FTP feed. It is free when you advertise on Bing it also shows photos.
I have noticed in Bing if you search on an excat match to our product description, our product pictures actually comes up in the natural listing as a thumb nail pic. But I don't think that relate to the FTP feed but nice to see.

GGG
11-11-2013, 07:25 AM
Ken,

I have a question about the Bing FTP feed (although I guess could apply to many other situations)...when I export my product urls...I'm getting the long details.asp link. Is there a way to export and get the regular product URLs...what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Kelly

Ken
11-11-2013, 07:52 AM
Kelly,

Good question. I choose to build a excel sheet long time ago and use it for manual FTP feed. We don't have many items so fairly easy. Of cause it means I have to upload it manually on a regular base but I can also duplicate some items and market them under different keywords when fitting. Sorry I could not be of better help.

Ken