PDA

View Full Version : Google Base Feed

ritchey
07-09-2012, 02:42 PM
For some reason my google base feed is showing an expiration date of last week. I just had Google fetch another feed / download, and it's still showing the same thing. I am working to get google product ads going. Feedback sent to Google.

Frustrating!

Phil
07-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Whenever I've had this issue it's been a problem with the feed from Volusion. Export your xml file and confirm that the expiration date is wrong there. If so it's probably some of your child products that are sharing product skus when they shouldn't (you can't have the same sub-sku twice).

GGG
07-09-2012, 04:28 PM
ritchey,

Same thing happened to me once with a 'corrupted' child product throwing a wrench into the works. Actually, Volusion Jen helped me out of that mess.

ritchey
07-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks! I called V earlier, and they referred me to Google. I remembered there was mention of this in the old forum. This is a great example of why this forum is so helpful.

GGG
07-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Yep, that was me. Unfortunately, not a thread I saved.

Phil
07-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Check that the expiration date in the exported file is wrong, if that's the case then the problem's at the source, not with Google.

Kmmy
07-10-2012, 06:30 AM
Whenever this happens to us, it's because of a child product (we have lots of them)

Duplicate product codes in the kit_isproductcode and/or a child product assigned to more than one parent product ( we tried to list the same product as a child for 2 different parent products --it worked in the store but the google feed got screwed up).
Since my functionality is not completely up, I couldn't test this link below, but maybe yours will work:

https://www.yoursite.com/admin/AdminDetails_Generic.asp?Table=kits&SafeMode=SEARCH

Hopefully that's the right link, it's the one tech support gave me but basically you are trying to get a list of all the kit_isproductcode so you can determine if there is a duplicate somewhere. Once we deleted the appropriate dup, and made sure each child is assigned to only one parent, the feed worked again.
Tech support explained:

"The reason why old information is being pulled is because a new feed cannot be generated. The API works by pulling all of the relevant information from your products table and then placing that file in to your ftp. The duplicate child products are breaking this process, so instead of a new file being generated, the oldest feed that was successfully generated gets pulled from the ftp instead."

Good luck -- hope this helps

ritchey
07-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Second interaction with V they let me know which product had the duplicate (copying much of GGG's response in my ticket). First V tech support person was no help, and said it was an issue on the Google side.

Kmmy
07-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Second interaction with V they let me know which product had the duplicate (copying much of GGG's response in my ticket). First V tech support person was no help, and said it was an issue on the Google side.

Yes, they gave me the codes too, but since every support request seems to require 2 or 3 attempts before getting someone who actually understands and addresses the problem at hand, the next time I got kinda impatient (esp when my google feed wasn't working), so I used the link they gave me, did a blank search and was able to find them without tech support. :)