PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Bing accepting URL with SEO friendly redirects URL - anyone else?

GentleBath
03-11-2014, 05:57 PM
I am setting up a new Bing using the new Bing Module from godatafeeds. I finally thought I had addressed all of the issues and errors but I received another email from Bing saying that they will not accept a redirecting url. What they showed me is that the url godatafeeds is pulling is the non-SEO friendly url and when they click on it, of course they are redirected to the SEO friendly url and that apparently is not acceptable to them.

Has anyone else addressed this issue with them or godatafeeds and fixed it to Bings satisfaction? They say they can not use it for rich captions because of the following:

The latter of these two URLs is the one that appears in our search results. Because the URL provided in the feed differs from what it resolves to (and what is in our results) it cannot be successfully matched.

I thought about maybe having godatafeeds create the url out of our www+ short name + product code + .htm but just wanted to find out if anyone else has addressed this first?

GentleBath
03-11-2014, 07:02 PM
Well, my idea was a flop! Although the above fields combine nicely into one long url, it will not work due to the spaces between the words in my product name short!

I don't know if it would even work if I went in and added them all myself, as I don't know how that would effect the real urls? I will have to ask godatafeeds if they could do something on their end fix it. For now, I may just op out of rich captions and go straight to product ads.

Kitty
03-12-2014, 12:38 AM
Well, my idea was a flop! Although the above fields combine nicely into one long url, it will not work due to the spaces between the words in my product name short!

I don't know if it would even work if I went in and added them all myself, as I don't know how that would effect the real urls? I will have to ask godatafeeds if they could do something on their end fix it. For now, I may just op out of rich captions and go straight to product ads.

Good luck sorting it out Brenda I am sure you will find a workround you usually do.

Of course this is one of the benefits gained by using truly SEO friendly URL's such as those offered by other shopping carts than Volusion.

Rather than the hashed up SEO Friendly Redirects that Volusion do to try to compensate for the problem of using non SEO Friendly URL's which cause problems such as this.

GentleBath
03-12-2014, 12:53 AM
GGG - I read back when you were trying and it seems to be the same sticking point. Did you ever come up with a solution?

Kitty
03-12-2014, 12:55 AM
Sorry to sound so neg but on topic this is the main reason I never tried submitting to Bing no point with the crappy urls.

GGG
03-12-2014, 03:30 AM
GGG - I read back when you were trying and it seems to be the same sticking point. Did you ever come up with a solution?

Brenda, I haven't looked at the thing in about 3 months, but I don't use GDF. The issue I had was exporting the image url's.

Can't you just tell GDF to export the seo friendly URL? I would think an issue with all V stores?

I really, really need to get back to this!

GentleBath
03-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Yeah! GDF was able to fix it! They added a new rule they called the "Conical URL Rule"and it will use the parent SEO Friendly URL for all child products! Now Bing should get the URL that matches what comes up in the SERPS.

GGG-I know it's been a busy time for you too, but you don't know how much better it made me feel that I am not the only one that ends up getting distracted by life and my projects sit there for months sometimes.

GGG
03-13-2014, 04:13 AM
GGG-I know it's been a busy time for you too, but you don't know how much better it made me feel that I am not the only one that ends up getting distracted by life and my projects sit there for months sometimes.

Good to hear GDF stepped up.

Too many other things on my plate right now. I promise I have a great excuse for Bing feed delay...um, could I have dedicated staff for this stuff like the big boys? :eek: