PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using New AdWord Shopping Campaign format? Tips?

GentleBath
03-14-2014, 10:27 PM
I am going to work on setting up a new Shopping Campaign in AdWords. Does anyone use one and have any feedback on things to do/not do? It talks about creating more than more at a time too? Has anyone started one with a High or Medium priority setting?

Seems very nice, but already I notice that I have a few out of date Product Types I need to change and if you change your structure you lose all data, history for the previous structure which could be a pain. At least my disapproved products reappeared in just a few days and that was a relief to see!

Damica
03-16-2014, 08:29 AM
Brenda:

Would you please keep us advised on how this works for you.

We don't spend a lot of money on "Adwords" but we do continuously try different settings. I would really like to see some of the figures that you end up with, such as "CTR" for your different ads, "CTR" for the different keywords that you use. Which type of keywords work best for you. Broad match, Phrase match, BMM, Exact match. "CTR" for your different sitelinks (How many sitelinks are you using?) What is your best landing page? What is your QS for the various keywords and ads that you run.

I don't want to get to personal, it just helps to know what some of the other "real world figures" look like.
Thanks

GentleBath
03-16-2014, 01:12 PM
Sure will, I am in the same boat, our budget is minuscule compared to most. Also, unlike most all other advertisers our text ads have always outperformed our PLA/Shopping campaigns no matter what I did.

One of the MOST exciting features I discovered last night was the ability to view those metrics now AT THE ITEM LEVEL! Now if you set up the new shopping campaign you can view all products in your feed. If you go into campaign dimensions and click on shopping than you can view by ITEM ID! It pulls up all items with these metrics at the top so now I will be able to see what is and is not giving us an good roi.

That being said, it still won't matter if my text ads always outperform them and shopping just drains my budget (which it has done in the past, high CRT but low conversions. The one thing that does not show on shopping (yet) is any QS so that you can only see in other campaigns.

GentleBath
03-16-2014, 10:36 PM
I don't want to get to personal, it just helps to know what some of the other "real world figures" look like.

A couple of other things you might like is that now to get a "benchmark" CTR and CPC for each Sub Category that you have. I hope that will be helpful in showing me pages or categories that may need improvements. You don't have any QS scores either but I just assume they use the same data they have in the other campaigns that do have QS.

Another note, is that like PLA campaign you do not have any keyword or ads. You can only have one "promotion" ad per campaign so now I see why you would want to have several/many campaigns running at once. I split mine up into two campaigns so I could have a different promotion for each.

I took my best selling category and made it a new shopping campaign with a promotion that I hope will attract more clicks to the products. I also raised it to a Med priority campaign, so supposedly those ads have priority other same product ads in other campaigns, text or shopping.

All of my other products are in my first shopping campaign with a more generic promotion that fits anything. So far my traffic has increased a bit but no big lift in sales at all from them. I had upped my budget too as I lost almost 6 days in adwords due to disapproved products last week. I have certainly made up for it this weekend but not from Google PPC!

When I look at my GA stats it is so interesting but my highest converting traffic comes from a FREE source, so it is very disappointing when I look at my Google PPC stats. That being said, for some reason when something goes awry or like last week when I had feed issues in Google my sales take a big hit. There is like this secret Google button that shuts my site off to everything!

GentleBath
03-17-2014, 05:14 PM
This weekend I sent in a request to change our MC account over to our new URL Apps acct. I am not sure why, but the person also did an indepth review of our Shopping Campaign and suggested the following optimizations. I had already done 1 & 2 this weekend but had never even thought of doing #3.

We already feed/adjust bids for our regional states, but I had never thought of pulling out the metro areas for further bid adjustments! I already know that we get more orders per ad to metro areas but because I already added the states I had not thought of adding/bid adjusting the metro areas too.

Per Google MC Support

- Product Groups: I would recommend segmenting your inventory into different product groups, this will give you the benefit of bidding more competitively on your top performing products. Creating different Product Groups is easy and vital to be able to spread your budget fairly across different ranges of products.
- Bidding Strategy: Once the new groups have been created and segmented into more appropriate product groups. I would recommend increasing the Bid in your top performing groups, or your traditional bestsellers, thus allowing you to serve more impressions and won more auctions.
- Location Settings: Within your location targeting, I would also recommend adding in any major urban areas or capital cities. These heavily populated areas within your targets will be your most competitive areas in terms of a click. To ensure you maintain a strong position in these areas I would then look at setting up a bid adjustment or 5% in those areas. For more information on how to use Bid Adjustments, please click here (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2732132?hl=en).

GentleBath
04-05-2014, 01:43 AM
OK, I am back with my report, but I hate to say it is NOT GOOD. After about 1-1 1/2 weeks it was very apparent my two shopping campaigns were going nowhere and I made some adjustments, I stopped my All Products campaign and left my Best Sellers Campaign, I restarted my PLA campaign to see if the two of them would complement each other too. I let it go another week and it was still horrendous and so I stopped the Shopping Campaign and set everything back to my original settings.

Now that the month is over, I went back and looked at some comparison data and it is SO BAD I can't even imagine what I will do when the shopping campaigns are mandatory! There are a few features not available in the shopping format and evidently these features are a must for my success in AdWords.

A few of the features that I use are critical to my conversions I suppose, the two the seem to be the most important are the Combination of Site-link extensions and Bidding Strategies, namely for me, Top of Page bidding. With the PLA I can use them both and so when everything lines up it must give me a nice Top of Page Ad with all of my site extensions and maybe a photo showing too. The interaction between my text campaigns and product images must be a key for me, and as far as I could tell I was not getting any of the interaction between them with the Shopping.

To give you an idea of just how BAD it was, my total AdWords conversions dropped 85% during the test period! I had NONE, NADDA, ZIP conversions in my two Shopping Campaigns, so thinking that they will soon be mandatory is terrifying! I finally got my Text and PLA campaigns optimized in a way that they all were working together as a group. The new Shopping campaigns just did not seem to enhance my text campaigns whatsoever and it wasn't because I didn't try. I had upped my budget and added all the same targeted locations, neg KW, bid adjustments, whatever I could add that I was using in my PLA campaign, I added but nothing seemed to work.

There are a couple of issues w/ the Shopping Campaigns, first you can not pause or add a new promotion, so everytime you make a change, you lose all of your history. Also, compared to the above optimal PLA Search Ad, I suppose now you will just have your plain ole Text Ads in search results and then your separate product images in the Shopping pages(?) If you use site extensions like I do, it seems like all of that extra info about your store/products will disappear. In the shopping campaign you still only get one promotion per campaign, so without any added site links it really leaves you very limited on how you can market. From my brief experience the results were devastating, to say the least!!

It all seemed so similar in set-up, and with all of the enhanced metrics you would think you could match or improve the PLA performance but it does not seem to operate the same whatsoever. The results were so much worse than I ever could have imagined! And it was not the drop in sales that was the worst! For this drop-off-a-cliff decrease in SALES, I had the pleasure of paying almost 50% MORE MONEY!!! My costs SKYROCKETED!!! My CTR's and impressions were great, so that was not the problem whatsoever! In fact I think they increased, but the conversions were no where to be found along with any increases in visibility!

I could not stick around one minute longer to see if these campaigns would have improved over time. I would have been out of business in a month or two the way that they were going! I am still not seeing much in the PPC news, except a few overview articles mentioning some of the pros regarding the new metrics along with some of the negatives I mentioned above about the ads. All I saw was a small mention of slightly higher costs, which is a gross understatement if my experience in anywhere close to typical!

Has anyone else tried them? I'd love to hear about your experience and if you had similar or different results!!!

gifty
04-05-2014, 10:46 AM
PLAS - with images
Our rep just called Thursday and had us start setting up the new PLAs. I am so hesitant to go that route because my current PLA campaign is finally working. It took us months to fine tune it and get the groups set up correctly for the best conversion/cost. Plus I am showing up first for most of my major searches. He suggested I run both at the same time?? I just do not understand that.

Is it so they make 2 times the money or are they still testing on our dime?

Text Ads
Then I read an article about Adword text ads that also use the product feed that show up in the regular ad positions. My rep says they do not use the feed but instead scan your site. Do you know anything about these? You would have to be very careful when you set them up if you have a site like ours with different kinds of products otherwise your ad copy wouldn't make sense.

Brenda did you work with a Google rep?

Kitty
04-05-2014, 02:47 PM
OK, I am back with my report, but I hate to say it is NOT GOOD...

....It all seemed so similar in set-up, and with all of the enhanced metrics you would think you could match or improve the PLA performance but it does not seem to operate the same whatsoever. The results were so much worse than I ever could have imagined! And it was not the drop in sales that was the worst! For this drop-off-a-cliff decrease in SALES, I had the pleasure of paying almost 50% MORE MONEY!!! My costs SKYROCKETED!!! My CTR's and impressions were great, so that was not the problem whatsoever! In fact I think they increased, but the conversions were no where to be found along with any increases in visibility!....Has anyone else tried them? I'd love to hear about your experience and if you had similar or different results!!!

Brenda you deserve a medal for bravery. I have totally lost my nerve with PLA's! Not the least because my business model prohibits the ability to sell repeat items, stacks the odds against me for starters...

I hate being the cynic all the time but actually this is a roaring success for google. They are just raising the bar so everyone ends up paying them more money and to add insult to injury they plan to make it mandatory for advertisers?

Do keep us posted though your experience reinforces my choice not to participate but also must be a massive help to anyone who is persevering, you always explain things so well.

GentleBath
04-05-2014, 05:43 PM
Our rep just called Thursday and had us start setting up the new PLAs. I am so hesitant to go that route because my current PLA campaign is finally working. I

Gifty - when you are saying new PLA's are you talking about the new Shopping Campaigns or if there really going to be a PLA replacement? I thought PLA's were going away?

Then I read an article about Adword text ads that also use the product feed that show up in the regular ad positions. My rep says they do not use the feed but instead scan your site. Do you know anything about these?

Gifty - do you think he/she was talking about a Dynamic Ads campaign? I do run one of those now, you set parameter and it pulls matching content and keywords off of your site content. It so, I have had some limited success with them, but again at the first it pulled way more then I could imagine costing way more than I expected without any increase in conversions. I was able to scale back and get it profitable but now it is very narrow in scope to keep costs down.

I have a real disadvantage in using this types of campaigns because my budget is so small and my products so varied that I really can't afford to run full throttle campaigns and hope eventually they will pay for itself. Funny how it never seems to be that the more you spend the more you make!

Brenda did you work with a Google rep?

No, I will next time. I don't have a dedicated rep, but just call in to support as needed. I wanted to see what issues there were and what results I had first so I could have them review my setup and results and help me improve on it.

gifty
04-10-2014, 02:54 PM
Gifty - when you are saying new PLA's are you talking about the new Shopping Campaigns or if there really going to be a PLA replacement? I thought PLA's were going away?

He was talking about the new Shopping Campaigns. He actually wanted me to leave my current Google Product Listing Ads live and turn on a duplicate Shopping Campaign from the same feed. When I got off the phone I paused the Shopping Campaign because as I studied it I discovered that the Shopping Campaign requires more fields than the previous feed. Instead of the AdWords label there are Custom Labels 0-4 so I have more work to do.

Gifty - do you think he/she was talking about a Dynamic Ads campaign? I think so. He set one up but I am not getting any clicks so something is wrong. We narrowed it down to a limited number of product URLS. We may have the bid too low.

I need to take some time to work on this and see if I can find out more answers and see what kind of results we can get.

We had just gotten our PLA's really working in terms of ROI. We finally felt that the listings were finally paying off in terms of the traffic versus the cost. And now we have to start over again.

GentleBath
04-11-2014, 12:17 AM
We had just gotten our PLA's really working in terms of ROI. We finally felt that the listings were finally paying off in terms of the traffic versus the cost. And now we have to start over again.

ARGGHHHH! Me too! I was so disappointed to hear they are going away! As for the Shopping labels, if you can work with them, you can also group by Merchant Category, Brand and a few more general groupings. I grouped mine by Merchant Category (Product Type it is called) and thought that was great, but just not the results I was looking for.

As for the dynamic ads, they do take a lot of fine-tuning! I looked at search terms and landing urls very frequently to make my revisions. I ended up targeting only two broad product groups because they were the only ones converting, I had great traffic on my other targets but no conversions.

Best advice I ever read about AdWords was to turn off, shut down, or eliminate anything that does not convert! Now if I could only do that with Shopping Campaigns! Did your rep say anything about the end date for PLA's? I am reading sometime this summer to give everyone time to adapt before the holidays? YIKES!!!

Kitty
04-11-2014, 01:44 AM
Did your rep say anything about the end date for PLA's? I am reading sometime this summer to give everyone time to adapt before the holidays? YIKES!!!

Somewhere I read recently said August I think it was the google blog but can't remember now.