PDA

View Full Version : Google Adwords "Dedicated Account Managers"?

LoloP
07-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Howdy all,

I just got off the phone with Google - a fellow named Jeremy called from Google to offer me a 30 day service of account management, and a $100 credit. Since I set up an Adwords account recently for the product ads, I guess they thought I didn't know my way around Adwords?

Anyway, long story short, they asked for my permission to access my Adwords account with the following terminology :
To better assist you, I'm happy to help make changes to your Google
AdWords account. To authorize me to do so, please see the process that's
described below.

Consistent with your agreement to the Google Advertising Terms and
Conditions, we'd like your permission to make the following types of
modifications ("Approved Adjustments") to your ad campaign(s):

1. Campaign changes: Includes the ability to pause and resume campaigns,
edit targeting settings, add or edit ad groups, and edit campaign
distribution.

2. Placement changes: Includes the ability to add and delete placements,
pause and resume targeted placements, add or delete negative sites and
categories, and edit placement-level bids.

3. Ad Text changes: Includes the ability to add, edit, and delete new ad
text, edit destination URLs (landing pages), add or delete tracking URLs
to ad text and placements, and pause/resume ad text.

4. Keyword changes: Includes the ability to add and delete keywords, and
increase or decrease the maximum cost per click.

5. Monitor the overall performance of your campaign(s).

We'll notify you of any Approved Adjustments after they've been made, so
you won't have the opportunity to change or cancel such adjustments before
they're posted live.

The final authority and risk for your account rests with you. You're
responsible for the content of your ads, complying with AdWords policies,
and complying with any applicable local laws and regulations. If you
disagree with any of the Approved Adjustments, please make sure to change
and cancel them as soon as possible.

To allow us to make Approved Adjustments, please respond to this email
with "I agree for Account: (insert number(s))" to indicate that you've
read and understood the changes, and authorize Google to act on behalf of
your company in making any Approved Adjustments.

If you'd ever like to cancel this blanket approval for Approved
Adjustments, please respond to this email with "I would like to cancel,"
or contact us directly.

Do you have questions about Quality Score? Check out our easy new guide to
Quality Score for ads showing on search:
10 things you should know about Ads Quality - AdWords Help (http://adwords.google.com/support/aw/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=guide.cs&guide=23572&ctx=foot).

Sincerely,

Jeremy Hysing
The Google AdWords Team

------------------------
In exchange for me allowing Jeremy to do all of the above, I would get a $100 adword credit code from Google.

Has anyone else been approached by Google directly like this and been asked for such permission to be granted? The fellow sent me an email from a google.com email address, which I replied to, and he then received (my little security test). But his agreement seems a little far-reaching to me.

RickT
07-12-2012, 12:45 PM
I get calls all the time that make sound like they are from Google, but if you question closely, they are not. Regardless of whether this was from Google or not, you are giving them a blank check to do whatever they want. I sure won't do it.

Phil
07-12-2012, 01:27 PM
We'll notify you of any Approved Adjustments after they've been made, so
you won't have the opportunity to change or cancel such adjustments before
they're posted live.

So they're going to change your campaigns before asking for approval, and you get to pay whatever huge bill they feel like creating with no recourse? Hmm. Sounds too open ended to me.

LoloP
07-12-2012, 01:50 PM
He said he worked for Google, but I Googled him and found out he works for a company out of Phoenix called Revana.

Its a marketing company posing as Google. But he has a google.com email address that he checks, so Google may be allowing 3rd party companies to market as though they are Google, to sell people on Adwords.

I feel almost scammed - Anyone who says they are Google most likely are not Google.
Chances are, the more he can run up my Adwords bill, the more of a kickback he gets from Google.

LoloP
07-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Just found this:
Why am I being contacted by Revana? - AdWords Help (http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=86173)

Why am I being contacted by Revana?

Revana, a wholly owned subsidiary of global outsourcing provider TeleTech, Inc, works with Google AdWords to help establish initial online advertising campaigns and provide customers with related support and services.

While Google has many valued partners and resellers of Google AdWords in the US and Canada, Revana is the only organization in the US or Canada working on behalf of Google to help new advertisers start and optimize their campaigns.

Always be careful about checking the identity of people claiming to be operating on behalf of Google. The simplest way to do this is to ask them to send you an email to verify their credentials - Google representatives, like those at Revana, will always have an @google.com email address.

RickT
07-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Hmmm. Appears they may be a legitimate company and I don't find anything negative online, under this name. But it appears they just started as Revana in May. Not too much negative on Teletech either, except for some people that didn't like working for them. In any case, I would not give them that much control over my ad spending. If someone does try them out, I'd be curious to hear their experience.

ritchey
07-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Google is pushing adwords. If you google the Google Adwords discount, you sign up for a new acct. and Google will set up your account and help you for 30 days. I signed up 2 weeks ago, and my E-Mails are not getting returned, sigh.

Tips:
1. Google is not your friend.
2. Google's goal is to maximize their profit.
3. Google Adwords is a double edged sword... Be very careful.
4. Do not use broad match!
5. I suggest have google set up everything, and use that as reference.
6. Adwords is like Gardening, it takes constant maintenance.

GGG
07-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Cold day in Hades before I'd be give anyone blanket approval over my AdWords account. Assuming I ever get my feed approved ...

AWCthreads
07-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Let Google tell you the cost of a click, let Google set up your campaign, let Google tell you how much you should spend per click. I need to change my business model.

GGG
07-12-2012, 07:46 PM
I signed up 2 weeks ago, and my E-Mails are not getting returned, sigh.

ritchey, did you try calling that help phone #? I still don't know if it accomplished anything, but I called today to try and get my site deemed 'family friendly'....was able to get through immediately. Your ?s may be of the immediate response nature..

ritchey
07-13-2012, 08:46 AM
I had an account rep assigned to me, and on the initial sign up she was great. I need to follow up more. The general tel. # for Adwords help worked and I got another problem solved on getting my product feeds going, as well as a number of questions answered.

ritchey
07-17-2012, 03:48 PM
So I got my account rep. upset, since she did not get back to me after multiple E-Mails and Calls and I called the general #.

Google AdWords would have been smarter to have a new account rep. assigned to me, but hey, what do emotions and respect have to do with anything?

GGG
07-17-2012, 03:52 PM
ritchey,

I'm beginning to suspect that the account reps at Google aren't much more trained on PLAs than we are...

AWCthreads
07-17-2012, 04:51 PM
ritchey,

I'm beginning to suspect that the account reps at Google aren't much more trained on PLAs than we are...

+1...........

ritchey
07-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Agree, I just found out for the conversion tracking, the default is http. So you need to select https, and generate new code.

GGG
07-17-2012, 05:13 PM
I know I'm in trouble AGAIN when I don't have the first clue what you're talking about...huh? what code where?!

:confused:

ritchey
07-17-2012, 08:01 PM
To set up your conversions, in AdWords, under tools and analysis, conversion, then settings tab and select https tab, then code. Or cheat and give google tech support a call and they can walk you through it. You may also need to do something in your product feed campaign.

At least when I call I get through, unlike my supposed account manager. Rude people just irritate me. I was also talking to my Google AdWords account manager a couple of weeks ago, and she just starts talking to somebody next to her while I was in mid-sentence, it was surreal. No excuse me or anything else. I would NEVER treat my customer like that.

GGG
07-18-2012, 03:42 AM
Thanks, ritchey. In order for me to have conversions, I'd first have to have an ad appear...LOL.

If I don't have this set up...could this be why ads aren't appearing? I don't think so?

The 1st guy I talked to seemed to know what he was talking about. The next person I talked to was as clueless as I am. Guess I just keep calling until someone can give me answers?

sigh.

ritchey
07-18-2012, 09:01 AM
I believe not having conversion set up is separate from your product feed issues.

DeanP
07-18-2012, 11:33 AM
The 100 AdWords credit is nothing. I can hook you or anyone else up with that as well. Just don't let someone bait you into an ad campaign.

Also beware @googlemail.com addresses - they're the same as @gmail.com