PDA

View Full Version : Back to Basics: Renaming a category

GGG
07-21-2014, 04:03 PM
While Google's hating my site, I may as well move forward with long overdue projects.

I'd like to rename a category. So...

a) Do I use the alternate URL field or set up a 301 redirect from old category to new category? Is there a 'preferred' method?

b) What then happens to discontinued products currently redirected to the category(s) I want to rename? Do I need to change the current redirects to the new category? Or does a redirect...redirect? How many times? Say I'm in a bad mood tomorrow and decide to switch carts. redirect...redirect...redirect?

c) Do I need to leave the discontinued category ID in the product? I would assume not since redirecting category vs. product.

Yep, I already checked the kb.

Thanks!

KKS
07-21-2014, 07:16 PM
a) You have the config variable "301 Redirect to SEOFriendly URLs" enabled. Simply change the category name and I assume you are going to change the Category URL Text (to change the URL). No manual 301 needed.

b) Good question. Last time I changed a category name, I went back to my discontinued products that are 301 redirected and put in the new category name. If you switch carts, a and b may require more attention. Keep your GGG Cliff Notes on changes.

c) The new name of the category will automatically replace the old name in your products.

*Be judicious in your changes. Think them through carefully. Google may knock you back for awhile for the change, or Google may reward you. I'm still being punished for one category that I changed too many times. :(

GGG
07-22-2014, 08:33 AM
Thanks, KKS.

Hmm...I haven't changed a category name since the day we opened. Last thing I need is another Google hit. Maybe I can tweak the display name and meta info instead.

I anxiously await the new responsive design templates to make some major site changes. Would that also be redirect of redirect of redirect? sigh.

However, now looks like after the holidays before I'll be able to implement and I'm tired of waiting on some of this stuff.

KKS
07-22-2014, 10:23 AM
I have no understanding of how responsive design will impact any of this. Waiting for you to lead the way. ;)

GGG
07-22-2014, 10:24 AM
I have no understanding of how responsive design will impact any of this. Waiting for you to lead the way. ;)

Now that's a terrifying thought!!!