PDA

View Full Version : Google's New Shopping Campaigns- Who's Changed Over?

GentleBath
09-03-2014, 09:57 PM
I have been MIA this summer so I could take my boys on a Mom and son vacation, get my son off to college and work in my garden. Now that summer is over and things are slowing down I trying to get back in gear (kinda) but my Google Ad Words campaigns are in disarray.

I shut all my PPC off while I was on vacation and sales tumbled of course (my DH stayed home and shipped for me) but when I turned it on sales only improved slightly but according to Ad Words and confirmed by GA my Google campaigns have not contributed to ONE sale in the past 30 days!

I have never had such a miserable ROI on Google and wondering if anyone else is seeing a decline as well. I left Bing off completely as that never got off the ground and I am not ready to tackle them again.

I still don't know how well the conversion tool is working with everyone using so many devices. It always seems that sales are up when Google PPC is on and way down if I shut it off, so I don't always trust the data 100%.

Then there is the NEW shopping campaigns replacing the PLA's and last time I tried one it had a dismal performance. I turned mine on last night but wondering if ya 'all have switched over and if you have any tips or tricks to making them profitable yet?

I am just afraid that we had hit a wall in competing with the larger stores with big budgets and if we have been priced out of PPC? There is just a limit to how much we can bid per item and we are at it now. Up until this month we used to at least run above 1.0 ROI but now with this month we are below.

gifty
09-04-2014, 11:42 AM
I switched over last week to the new program and doubled my costs while my ROI dropped in half. The poor results could have been due to the holiday but I do not think so. I am still trying to get it back under control. I tried really hard to duplicate the campaign I had running under the previous program however I had a lot issues with the feed update. In other words everything would be correct in the feed in the Google Merchant Data center area but when I would get to Adwords the Feed would not be updated so I couldn't make the selections the I needed to make. I spent many hours last week trying to learn the new interface, tweaking our feed and so on with less than stellar results. Hopefully I will get it dialed in as I can learn more. I would love to hear from others how they are doing and any tips you might have.

MelanieF
09-05-2014, 05:01 PM
I hear that putting your hands over your ears and shouting "LA LA LA" very loudly can have a significant impact. I am going to try that this week.

GGG
09-06-2014, 06:54 AM
I hear that putting your hands over your ears and shouting "LA LA LA" very loudly can have a significant impact. I am going to try that this week.

omg. Melanie, you owe me a keyboard. Laughing so hard that I just spewed coffee all over mine. ;)

gifty
09-09-2014, 11:14 AM
Our feeds are beginning to settle down. Beginning to do a little better. I will keep you guys posted.

GentleBath
09-15-2014, 04:48 PM
Still tanking with the new Google Shopping campaigns! I called in last week for advice and the girl had me bid down to the product ID level (LOVE that). I also updated/optimized my feed this weekend tweaking names, titles, types and adding labels. I went back and sorted by Product type and then by ID then pulled out my bigger/more profitable items to bid higher on them and then lower on the everything else group.

The problem though is not getting impressions or clicks, I am and a LOT! None of them are buying so it is almost worse because it now a huge expense with NO ROI! While I love how they have made it so flexible to set up I am not getting anywhere near to the ROI I had been getting with PLAs???

It REALLY STINKS too that V has still not updated the 3rd party page with all of the changes yet. They added a few but not all plus no where at all for any of the custom labels, ad labels, etc.

In addition I had to rerun by API output after my PW expired and I did not even SEE the new fields on the API page so hth are they exporting the new info if it is not in the API feed????

I'm cranky already and it is only Monday...

Rick H.
09-17-2014, 07:10 AM
What we really need right now are the "Custom label" fields. I suppose it will take Volusion a year or two to add those.

Ironically, I asked for general custom fields for our own use years ago in a feature request. Are you listening, Volusion???

ritchey
09-17-2014, 08:55 AM
Open a case and ask. If your not seeing the field when you generate it, I doubt its being exported.

>In addition I had to rerun by API output after my PW expired and I did not even SEE the new fields on the API page so hth are >they exporting the new info if it is not in the API feed????

If I remember right, your using a third party for feeding Google. godatafeed.

I guess no way to add the field until Volusion finally ads it. Since there is no extra field that can be re-purposed for that.

Your getting traffic, which is good. Another way to look at it, is find out why they are not converting. May be try qualeroo or similar to ask?

gifty
09-17-2014, 10:41 AM
We use Godata Feed and our own spreadsheet to provide the listings to Godata instead of using the automatic Volusion Feed because of the limitation in fields you mention. So our spreadsheet has all of the columns that Godata Feed can tie into the Google Feed. I have done my best to duplicate our previously somewhat successful Google Product campaign we had before the change. The result with the new version for us is that traffic is down and the costs have more than doubled. So I tried to reign in the costs by sub dividing each group down by my higher profit items and lower profit items. Then I lowered the bids on the less profitable items. We are still not getting the same amount of traffic we were getting before the switch and the costs are double to triple what they were. Today we have added a special promotion coupon to see if that will make difference. I am still working on this project to see if I can fix it. I am wondering if everything is just in a flux with the change over in terms of what and when ads are showing and so on. Advertisers who made the switch months ago reported good results so something is happening to make the results so poor. I plan to let it rest for another few days to see what happens. I will let you know.

We just got an email from Google saying we are going to have to send them a feed of our reviews if we want them to show with our Google Product Adwords. Our review stars finally started showing up organic search again. Did anyone else get this email?

Starting October 23, 2014 we will begin to only show product ratings on Product Listing Ads for merchants that send us all of their product reviews either directly or through an approved third party aggregator. ....................

GGG
09-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Actually, I emailed them to inquire before I got the email.

Still waiting on the instructions and the acceptance agreement.

MelanieF
09-17-2014, 12:03 PM
Is godatafeed worth the cost? How many feeds do you utilize?

gifty
09-17-2014, 12:50 PM
We have been up to 12 at one time or another. At one time we did spreadsheets for Googlebase, Amazon, Shopzilla, Sortprice, Bing, Shareasale and several others plus the sitemap. I almost lost my mind. This started before the Volusion API was in place. We couldn't use their export because our descriptions were in the above product price and a variety of other issues. Imagine a price change! So moving to Godatafeed was a wonderful thing for us. Now we have Volusion and one spreadsheet that we maintain. I keep the feed all of the time and made changes immediately as they come in.

I wanted to add something on this subject. It could be me and something I am doing wrong but I do not think so. I keep make changes in my bids and other things on product listing only to go back the next day to find that the changes are not there. I think they are having some issues with everyone changing over right now so I would watch your product ads bids/budget really close over the next few weeks.

ritchey
09-17-2014, 03:26 PM
I got the same E-Mail.

On your campaign, some ideas:

1. A competitor is paying more?
2. Your PLA are not as targeted as they were before.
3. What is being displayed for your products changed?
4. Google may have changed their algorithm, resulting in lower quality leads for you.

GentleBath
10-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Well I finally have my shopping campaign under control (somewhat)! There were several area I really worked on but I think the most important was pulling all of my item IDs into the ad Groups! Here is a summary of my changes mostly based on advice from Google shopping phone help.

1. Revised my feed focusing on product name, product type (key) meta title and as many of the new attributes as possible.

2 Set up main campaign and developed three ad groups, all products w/o best sellers and two ad groups both with same best sellers so I can test two ads for the best one. I hope to narrow back to one ad group of best sellers soon, one ad seems to be a clear winner but will let run one more week to be sure.

3. Under each ad group I divided items by Product Types. At first I had a number of outliers and type errors but I went back and clean up all the product types until all item/products all sorted correctly. (You can check items/product type errors by either clicking bubble under product type heading or click + to divide group and then choose item I'd to see all products that sort under each product type group.

4. Next step was to divide each product type by item ID. Essentially this create an ad group of each product but for me this was helpful

5. At first I only pulled out best sellers Item ID and bid them higher and then left the rest in the "all other product type items" with a lower bid. But what happened when the all other group had a higher cost/low results I could not pull up the products that contributed to the cost. Eventually I just add all items under each product type and bid the same but now I can evaluate the roi for each product.

6. With all items visible I was able to lower the bid or even exclude any item that was running costs up without results or roi and bid much higher on my best sellers/higher priced items.

7. After adjusting bids both up and down my campaign cost finally decreased while conversions increased. My theory is that at least my best sellers are being seen, their bids are competitive and my costs are not run up by deadbeat products with little or no roi.

I know that not many of you may be able to pull out all items into the campaign but since I have a little less than a 1000 it was doable for me. Plus now I can evaluate down to the item level the cost vs performance and adjust accordingly. This is the best that I could have hoped for. I plan to go back to my feed and make a few more adjustments to try and further improve my feeds data. I am so limited by Volusions lack of fields but there are a few more things I can try and do with godatafeeds help! Hope this helps anyone struggling with this new format as much as I am. I sure hope you share what is working for you too.

GentleBath
10-08-2014, 10:01 PM
Today was my day to review AdWords campaigns and to my shock and surprise I saw this on my shopping campaign:

Value of conversations/Cost: 6.3

Doing the happy dance right now and keeping my fingers, toes and whatever crossed that this trend continues!!

GentleBath
10-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Update: with the new shopping campaign I was able to test two different ads for the same product group. I made two additional ad groups under the main campaign and added the same group of products to each then excluded them in the main ad group.

In group one I ran the same ad as I have in my main group, in group two I ran a new ad. After the first week group two seemed to far outperform group one, but the impressions in group one were low so I let it run one more week.

Week two recheck and Group Two outperformed Group One 16:1!!! Very easy call - group one turned off! Another very nice feature of the new shopping campaigns!

After my very dismal start I have to say I am very impressed with the new shopping format and the results!

gifty
10-16-2014, 11:53 AM
I am totally confused. How do you run "ads" for the shopping ads. I thought the "ads" were totally pulled from our shopping feeds. Are we talking about the same thing? Are you talking about the Promotion Line for each Group?

Can you clarify?

We are still burning money in comparison to where we were before they made these last changes and we have tried to duplicate the previous campaign as closely as possible.