PDA

View Full Version : 3 stores inventory connected via API?

hozeegee
04-24-2015, 12:42 AM
Hi all,

I'm not even sure if this is possible, but a client has 3 Volusion stores selling exactly the same stock and is asking if the inventory could update automatically (each time somebody buys an item) across all 3 stores via the API?

API is not my thing so if anybody can let me know if that could be done, at least I can go back to him with a 'yes' :eek:

Many thanks!
H

JBO
05-07-2015, 08:17 AM
I don't think this is possible. We've looked into it in the past and weren't able to figure it out on the Volusion platform. At least, it wouldn't work with any sort of "real time" inventory. IE, if someone bought product on website A it would take a while (possibly hours) to reflect on website B and website C's inventory levels.

Marc_NY
05-07-2015, 08:24 AM
I cannot see any reason why this could not be done. When an order is complete send a inventory adjustment to the other two stores. no need to do the one with the order as the backend for that store would automatically do that.

This would require a custom ASP page to do all the work.

GGG
05-07-2015, 10:20 AM
I cannot see any reason why this could not be done. When an order is complete send a inventory adjustment to the other two stores. no need to do the one with the order as the backend for that store would automatically do that.

This would require a custom ASP page to do all the work.

huh?! I thought this was impossible w/o something like Stone Edge.

Why wouldn't V have offered something like this years ago?

BabyBeauandBelle
05-07-2015, 02:35 PM
I would love to see this magic performed.

marc.vasquez
05-08-2015, 08:42 AM
That's quite a task - do you currently just export all 3 stores to a spreadsheet and then manually crunch the data? I imagine updating a product isn't too fun either having to update 3 storefronts with that data...

demitrius
05-08-2015, 08:49 AM
Marc you gotta stop proposing ideas. I can already see people lining up.... ha

Marc_NY
05-08-2015, 10:25 AM
Makes no difference, None of the people will cough up the $$$$$ to do it anyway.

Jimmy
05-08-2015, 12:52 PM
Hi all,

I'm not even sure if this is possible, but a client has 3 Volusion stores selling exactly the same stock and is asking if the inventory could update automatically (each time somebody buys an item) across all 3 stores via the API?

API is not my thing so if anybody can let me know if that could be done, at least I can go back to him with a 'yes' :eek:

Many thanks!
H

It should be possible. We have this for 3dcart, and to be honest, it works exactly as you described it.

It's real-time for new orders received on any of these stores. And also has a batch process that updates all items from the master store every 1 hour.

http://apps.3dcart.com/multiple-stores-sync.html

BabyBeauandBelle
05-11-2015, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't assume that, it depends on what sort of $ amount your talking.

Also knowing (yes big grain of salt here) that they will be releasing the REST API some time this year which should get us the ability to connect with other apps already out there that do multi channel inventory it would be a matter of timing vs money spent right now...

Makes no difference, None of the people will cough up the $$$$$ to do it anyway.

JBO
05-12-2015, 03:09 PM

The real question is how much coding is required and how easy of a solution is it to implement. Whether its a $500 solution or a $50,000 solution changes the economics of it greatly.

It should be possible. We have this for 3dcart, and to be honest, it works exactly as you described it.

It's real-time for new orders received on any of these stores. And also has a batch process that updates all items from the master store every 1 hour.

http://apps.3dcart.com/multiple-stores-sync.html

To me, updates every hour isn't "live". With my store we have customers (both retail and wholesale) purchasing products as well as our local customers. I can't be selling products both online and locally with a 1hr lag time.

ritchey
05-12-2015, 04:20 PM
My guess is he refers to inventory changes done on the back end for the master store for the batch update. Jimmy mentioned orders was a real time update.

JBO
05-12-2015, 04:24 PM
My guess is he refers to inventory changes done on the back end for the master store for the batch update. Jimmy mentioned orders was a real time update.

Lets say I split up my websites to have Retail Store ABC & Wholesale Store ABC

Lets say I share inventory with both stores. If I receive (3) units of a specific SKU I could theoretically sell those (3) units from both inventories if there is an hour lag time? I don't see how it would be real-time if its synching with a database every hour. Theoretically it will show inventory both places with a lag time, even if it updates the database immediately.

Marc_NY
05-12-2015, 04:58 PM
What the OP asked for was whether it was possible to update 2 other stores product inventory after any one of three made a sale. To this specific question I say yes, provided all three stores share exactly the same product codes. The OP didn't mention anything about inventory that was added via purchasing or adjusted via the admin panel. That would be also some what possible but certainly complicated and require running a Greasemonkey script and a considerable about of effort.

JBO
05-12-2015, 09:51 PM
What the OP asked for was whether it was possible to update 2 other stores product inventory after any one of three made a sale. To this specific question I say yes, provided all three stores share exactly the same product codes. The OP didn't mention anything about inventory that was added via purchasing or adjusted via the admin panel. That would be also some what possible but certainly complicated and require running a Greasemonkey script and a considerable about of effort.

Your potential solution wouldn't require a scheduled CSV upload from Store A to Store B but would actually push the data over when sales occur? They would essentially have matching stock (within a few minutes)? How much coding would that require?

Marc_NY
05-13-2015, 03:55 AM
No, it would be essentially instantaneous.

Your potential solution wouldn't require a scheduled CSV upload from Store A to Store B but would actually push the data over when sales occur? They would essentially have matching stock (within a few minutes)? How much coding would that require?

wholesalemart
05-20-2015, 11:12 AM
Has anyone checked out our Americommerce? You can setups multiple stores etc. I just setup a trial store. I'm impressed with all of their features and everything. Has a lot of things that Volusion doesn't.

ritchey
05-20-2015, 04:24 PM
Americommerce seems to be much smaller than the other players such as Shopify, Big Commerce, and even 3dcart.

http://trends.builtwith.com/shop/Shopify

http://trends.builtwith.com/shop/BigCommerce

http://trends.builtwith.com/shop/3D-Cart

http://trends.builtwith.com/shop/AmeriCommerce

tandt
05-21-2015, 02:08 AM
Americommerce seems to be much smaller than the other players such as Shopify, Big Commerce, and even 3dcart.

http://trends.builtwith.com/shop/Shopify

http://trends.builtwith.com/shop/BigCommerce

http://trends.builtwith.com/shop/3D-Cart

http://trends.builtwith.com/shop/AmeriCommerce

At the risk of being shot down by you folks :), I just wonder what the size of a platform has to do with how well it functions? Our experience with Volusion (one of the so-called 'big' players) has been far from great (as with many other store owners). We're about to go live with a 'small' UK platform and have found - (1) It's as solid as a rock (2) Excellent features - not a watch app in sight! (3) Superb support from people who know what they are talking about (4) New feature suggestions encouraged and implemented quickly (5) Excellent discount and promotion tools (so important once a site is up and running) (6) A community forum with no mentions of "... how can I make this work, can anybody give me some code to get this where I want it, PayPal orders are not coming through, etc. (6) Super fast platform (7) No bandwidth fees, etc. In short, it just works!
All IMHO of course.

GGG
05-21-2015, 05:01 AM
At the risk of being shot down by you folks :)

I'll get my ruler out if that happens, tandt!

Americommerce has much to offer. I just haven't been able to figure out if they're any good at SEO.

ritchey
05-21-2015, 07:53 AM
My worry with small players are:

1. Will they be around for a while?
2. Will continue adding new features that make sense?

My SWAG on the Industry:

1. There will be only a couple of big players, say 3, in the near future. My gut feeling is there will be a Cull in the near future and some industry consolidation.They will destroy the competition through features & price. Winners for this look like Wordpress and Shopify. Big Commerce I wonder about their burn rate.

2. There will be some small niche players. This is why Volusion is betting the company to go into Mozu, they see as a profitable niche that will escape the commodization of shopping cart providers, and using the SMB Volusion solution as a cash cow to fund this.

3. So far the shopping cart industry has proved that a strong involved found is needed to drive implementation. When a big company buys a shopping cart, the cart suffers.

[QUOTE=tandt;28966]At the risk of being shot down by you folks :), I just wonder what the size of a platform has to do with how well it functions?

GGG
05-21-2015, 10:28 AM
I guess it's possible that Capital One could dump Americommerce or change the direction... nickel/diming.

Would be interesting to see what the store owners had to say since the acquisition.

ritchey
05-26-2015, 12:37 PM
Capital One seems to be focused on offering more services to SMB customers. I just read about a digital wallet they came out with. And they bought a usability company. It will be interesting to see what happens.

What I have seen for corporate acquisitions, is they usually don't work, usually due to culture issues. Cisco is an exception, where they basically nuke everything when they buy a company, except Engineers.

Marc_NY
07-12-2015, 02:13 PM
Getting back on topic here. I wrote the main part of the script which handles the syncing of the inventory data as soon as an order completes, (orderfinished.asp) page is reached. Inventory sync time from when the order was placed to when stock levels for the items in the order where synced to the other store is less than one second, maybe two if you want to count the initial call to the server.

The way it works is as follows.

We have Store A and Store B

Assuming we start with inventory level on both stores exactly the same and all product codes are exactly the same

1- Order placed on A and customer is sent to orderfinished.asp
2- Store A server is send order info ( order #, order total an customer email address ) Used to verify "good call" and not someone trying to fake initiate a sync request. There are a few different method used but I won't get into it.
3- Server on store A verifies that it is a "good sync call" and using data supplied grabs the order data via an SQL call. Order data is basically the product codes of each item in the order and new stock status in the product table. Obviously GFT or downloadable items don't count and are not included.
4- Once store A has this info it sends the data to Store B via a HTTPS Post request . Again several methods are used make sure the request in genuine and not spoofed.
5- Store B receives the product codes and stock levels and updates its inventory levels for those items via a SQL update query.
6- Once finished updating store B responds to store A "all done" and the order on store A is flagged as synced so it doesn't get synced again at a later time.

The same process, just reversed is used for store B to store A. There could be a store C, D and E... but that is probably not typical thus I didn't write it for more than two stores.

As you can see stock status is nearly instant. You would literally have to be receiving orders every second or less for this not function correctly.

And I can even have your site send you can email notifying you that a stock change has occurred with the items changed and new values.

GGG
07-12-2015, 04:25 PM
Dang, Marc... impressive!!! This may be your most awesome fix yet... and that's saying a lot. I'm ready to open a store B (in my spare time) just to try it out.

A 'please don't laugh at me question'... so would both stores have to have exactly the same products/codes, or could store B have only a partial list of the same products/codes as A with some store B exclusives for kicks? Hmm... wait a sec... thinking out loud... maybe you could just 'hide' the products not available in either store B or store A since just an inventory synch?

Another 'please don't laugh question'... could V's servers muck this up with delays if stores on different servers/response time?

Marc_NY
07-12-2015, 05:19 PM
Yes, one store could have a subset of products of the other store as long as both stores product codes are the same. Also one store could have extra items not found in the other

And yes the accuracy of the both stores is dependent on if the other is up at the time when a sync happens to take place. Potentially the 15 minute window or so each nite they do maintenance could be a factor but most likely both of your stores would be down at the same time so I wouldn't worry about that too much + who is buying nanny stuff at that time anyway.

GGG
07-13-2015, 08:06 AM
Ok, great! Although come Dec. 15 people shopping nanny gifts at all hours :)

Since you know how much I hate the monkey business... my next questions pertain to your earlier post...

a) After adding a new product to store A (that's also going into store B)... could I just slam the same product code (same quantity) into B and would it then update automatically w/o a GM script?

b) If we had to manually adjust store inventory in A... would we be able to go in and adjust manually in B? Either minus or additional stock? (frequent occurrence here since we stock vs. drop ship) Would the inventory sync continue to work after manual adjustments?

Given your previous post above, what couldn't we do without a Greasemonkey script?

JBO
07-19-2015, 09:16 PM
Getting back on topic here. I wrote the main part of the script which handles the syncing of the inventory data as soon as an order completes, (orderfinished.asp) page is reached. Inventory sync time from when the order was placed to when stock levels for the items in the order where synced to the other store is less than one second, maybe two if you want to count the initial call to the server.

The way it works is as follows.

We have Store A and Store B

Assuming we start with inventory level on both stores exactly the same and all product codes are exactly the same

1- Order placed on A and customer is sent to orderfinished.asp
2- Store A server is send order info ( order #, order total an customer email address ) Used to verify "good call" and not someone trying to fake initiate a sync request. There are a few different method used but I won't get into it.
3- Server on store A verifies that it is a "good sync call" and using data supplied grabs the order data via an SQL call. Order data is basically the product codes of each item in the order and new stock status in the product table. Obviously GFT or downloadable items don't count and are not included.
4- Once store A has this info it sends the data to Store B via a HTTPS Post request . Again several methods are used make sure the request in genuine and not spoofed.
5- Store B receives the product codes and stock levels and updates its inventory levels for those items via a SQL update query.
6- Once finished updating store B responds to store A "all done" and the order on store A is flagged as synced so it doesn't get synced again at a later time.

The same process, just reversed is used for store B to store A. There could be a store C, D and E... but that is probably not typical thus I didn't write it for more than two stores.

As you can see stock status is nearly instant. You would literally have to be receiving orders every second or less for this not function correctly.

And I can even have your site send you can email notifying you that a stock change has occurred with the items changed and new values.

So...how does one inquire about trying out this scripting (for a cost, of course)?

JBO
09-10-2015, 09:14 PM
We've contacted several people who claim to be able to do this but apparently all contacts have fallen on deaf ears.

Could anyone here (or know of someone) that can assist us with syncing the inventory on multiple volusion cart systems?

BabyBeauandBelle
09-11-2015, 08:42 AM
We would be interested in this and willing to pay. If you can let me know if this is an up and running tested solution and what we would need to implement it, that would be great. Thanks!

fraby
04-11-2016, 07:48 PM
I would also be interested in paying for this, if indeed it's been tested. I've been manually updating my inventory every morning through Excel. I've been doing it so long it can get it all synced up on both of my sites in under a minute now :) , but I'd love to be able to skip that part of my morning.