PDA

View Full Version : Site Chat - Should you Invite?

ritchey
06-01-2015, 05:58 PM
Curious if it helps sales a lot by being proactive to visitors on your site, after X minutes, to do a chat.

Asking them if they have any questions?

Or is it just creepy?

Personally, I hate it. But I need to remember, I am not my typical customer.

Interesting, supposedly 6X the sale rate for customers contacted via Chat.
http://www.velaro.com/resources/proactive-chat-whitepaper/

And David's Bridal supposedly implemented it, and got a 30-50% increase in conversion rate, and 10-20% high order sizes.
http://www.roosit.nl/files/en/documents/Forrester_making_proactive_chat_work.pdf

Marc_NY
06-01-2015, 06:13 PM
No it down right annoying, it's like having someone following you as you come into a B&M store. Make the chat link/image readily visible and let them contact you.

GGG
06-02-2015, 04:35 AM
I despise it (I'll usually leave the site), but reigny has a different take. I'll be interested to see how others here respond... experience regarding.

KKS
06-02-2015, 05:04 AM
I am increasingly annoyed by chat features and other pop ups on ecommerce site. This past week, I had to do a lot of online shopping and was annoyed that my view of product pages was obstructed and I had someone annoying me constantly offering help.

*judging from my overuse of annoyed, I would say that it really irritates me!! lol

marc.vasquez
06-02-2015, 05:39 AM
We have done some reading on this too - and popups or invites are usually perceived as annoying - but they work. We get on average 12 - 15 live chats a day presently. We pop once when you visit after about 45 seconds - 1 minute. I have some pages with additional triggers for products that often have a lot of questions or where we find customers calling / emailing about. It has been mostly beneficial, few complaints about the experience. I just activated the follow-up email survey and have been getting very good scores and feedback. It also offers us an opportunity to "reward" the chat, with a coupon or offer when they take the survey.

reigny
06-02-2015, 07:40 AM
I'm very careful with proactive chat but for what I sell, it's sometimes essential. If I see that a person is coming from a search such as "how to..." or "how can i..." and find my site, views multiple pages and is on the site at least 8 minutes I will initiate a chat conversation. If i see a customer on the contact us page I will initiate a chat conversation. My products are very unusual and most customers don't know anything about what they need. I personally hate automated popups as soon as you enter a site. My chat says "hello I am a live agent" so they know if they click they get a real person. I also like to creep them out sometimes and say "i see you are looking for orthopedic blah blah..." if they are on the orthopedic page :D

A popup within the first 45 seconds to one minute would probably make me leave the store immediately.

ritchey
06-02-2015, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the great feedback!

Sounds like if done right, it's good.

I like the 8 minute rule.

Now the headache of how to get coverage during non 8-5 hours, when most of my shoppers buy...

HerbC
06-05-2015, 08:37 AM
I'm new to all of this (6 months in) but so far every single person I've invited has left immediately. I've usually waited a bit before asking. Like, if they have been through 10-12 pages I may ask if they have any questions. Gone.

I've thought about turning the chat off for all the more it gets used but if it gets one sale it would be worth it i guess. I'm using a free chat system so it's not killing me to have it on.

I agree it's creepy. Like someone is spying on you and suddenly appears.