PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Volusion's internal search - any options?

CrashAlpha
07-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Hi,

I am looking for alternatives to Volusion's own internal search engine. Because of the size of our site (currently about 50K products, will reach 100K+ soon) and the nature of our product, we didn't use Volusion search and instead used a custom indexing service called Picosearch. This was working very well for us. Unfortunately, the product has been discontinued.

We tried Google's custom search engine, but you cannot control page indexing at all, and with a site as large as ours, it can take a year for Google to index the whole site, and expired links will take quite some time to remove.

We tried freefind, but it is limited to 25K pages. We also tried Zoom Search, but this will be quite slow as indexing occurs from your desktop, and we are having trouble controlling the results.

A great example of the sort of problem that we have - 99% of our products are sold by dimension, e.g. "#4-40 X 3/16", Button Head Socket Cap Screws, Hex Socket Drive, Coarse Thread, Alloy Steel, box of 400". Volusion (and most search engines) don't know what to make of the hash, slash and double quote symbols. So, strip them out and start matching on 4 40 3 16 - and return confusing results.

Any recommendations?

GGG
07-06-2015, 10:17 AM
Welcome to the forum, CrashAlpha.

Have you done a forum search? My site isn't big enough, but I think this issue may have already been discussed.

Marc_NY
07-06-2015, 11:08 AM
What you could do and it would be a considerable undertaking is to create a suitable SQL query to extract the product code from the Volusion data base based on the search string the customer provides. The SQL query would run from a custom ASP page that would need to be written which would extract the info via the API. This page would return customized search results to the user and format it however you wish via custom HTML.

demitrius
07-07-2015, 06:18 AM
Have you looked into services like Nextopia?

bill9000
10-16-2015, 08:09 AM
Nextopia is definitely the way to go for this. and works just fine with Volusion.