PDA

View Full Version : Child products, discontinued items, and feed management for SEO

ceogolfshop
07-19-2015, 08:49 AM
I'm going to remove thousands of sku's from my store. While the SEO value is very high to keep items as inactive, managing feeds is a nightmare.
I have regular products and then some parent products with child products; Parent products, discontinued products and discontinued child products cannot go in any feed. Does anyone have suggestions to automate which products feed and which don't? I'm open to using a 3rd party feed supplier, but right now I export and use an excel schema that I had created. It still requires manual work and some expertise. I want something that anybody can be trained to do.

If not, how bad do you think it would be to just delete them? I did a 301 redirect test on a small group and Google didn't seem to like it. Plus, I use SEO friendly URL's in my feed. To export/modify/import a large group to redirect, Volusion doesn't supply that URL.

Marc_NY
07-19-2015, 09:11 AM
Why not simply create a SQL query that gives you exactly what you need and cut out all the in between BS.

I did a similar project which relies on a custom SQL query to generate data for the Google Review feed in XML but a CSV could also be generated.

http://www.convergent7.com/forum/volusion-forum/inbound-marketing/shopping-feeds/3056-google-shopping-ads-review-feed-volusion-review-records-3.html

ceogolfshop
07-19-2015, 01:00 PM
Thanks, that's ideal. I outsource custom SQL & API work- feel free to contact me if you can help me to create better Google/other feeds. Thanks