PDA

View Full Version : Our Experience Using Reviews To Increase Conversions

pauldfw
08-10-2016, 12:12 PM
Hello;

I have gotten a lot of great info from this forum, so I wanted to tell about our experience using reviews. Specifically, using reviews to increase conversions from Shopping ads in Adwords. Hopefully, this will help.

A while ago, we started having our products reviews appear in our Shopping ads in Adwords. These are the stars that appear under the product name in Shopping ads. When we did this, our conversion rate increased. Shopping ads for a few of our most reviewed products now average between 10 and 12% conversion rate, which for us is good. Plus, for some products which have the most reviews the ads starting appearing when users typed a "Best of X" query in Google.

We get customer reviews by using Brand Labs Autoresponder Max. We dont give anything away or offer extra discounts for customers to write reviews. We just ask nicely. You could also use MailChimp/Vextras to do this. I dont know if Volusion can do this. But paying a bit extra to do this was worth it for us.

We got the reviews to appear by using Marc's Google Shopping Ads Review Feed. See this forum post (http://www.convergent7.com/forum/volusion-forum/inbound-marketing/shopping-feeds/3056-google-shopping-ads-review-feed-volusion-review-records.html).
It was very easy to set up. I regret delaying because I was worried it would mess something else up, but it did not. It was a very simple and easy way to get great results. Getting this done was very much worth it for us.

Another benefit to doing this is you will soon (or maybe now) be able to see a Product Review section in Google Merchant Center. Just as you can see now in the Diagnostics tab, showing which products are disapproved, pending, active you can see the same for your reviews. You can see how many reviews are disapproved, active or needs review. When we looked at this section, we noticed most of our reviews were disapproved. It turned out to be a Google problem and they fixed it. Once all of our reviews appear rather than only some, it helped to increase conversions.

Just wanted to share our experience. If you have any questions, let me know. Hope this helps.

Paul

ritchey
08-16-2016, 08:39 AM
Are you using Volusion's Reviews, Yotpro, Shopper Approved, or Power Reviews?

pauldfw
08-16-2016, 10:03 AM
We are using Volusion Reviews. Previously, we used PowerReviews but switched to Volusion. For us, Volusion reviews are good enough and the money we would have spent on a review service is better used elsewhere.

Paul

Mike R
08-16-2016, 12:48 PM
We are using Volusion Reviews. Previously, we used PowerReviews but switched to Volusion. For us, Volusion reviews are good enough and the money we would have spent on a review service is better used elsewhere.

Paul, I'm a little confused. If you're using Volusion reviews, why do you need Brand Labs Autoresponder Max? We use Volusion reviews and have customized the automatic email Volusion sends out to encourage the customer to leave a review. Is the Brands Labs program more robust than the rather stripped down Volusion system?

Mike

pauldfw
08-16-2016, 01:11 PM
Mike;

We use Autoresponder Max for several items, abandoned cart email, email asking for review and a couple more actions. We have been using it for quite a while. Autoresponder Max works well, is easy to use and it allows us to send a bunch of different emails to customers for one price.

We have never used the Volusion automatic email. I dont think it matters what you use, but the most important action is to send your reviews to Google so they appear in your shopping ads, which has been a difference maker for us.

Paul

Mike R
08-16-2016, 02:09 PM
Mike;

We use Autoresponder Max for several items, abandoned cart email, email asking for review and a couple more actions. We have been using it for quite a while. Autoresponder Max works well, is easy to use and it allows us to send a bunch of different emails to customers for one price.

We have never used the Volusion automatic email. I dont think it matters what you use, but the most important action is to send your reviews to Google so they appear in your shopping ads, which has been a difference maker for us.

Thank you for the clarification. It sounds like Autoresponder Max would give a lot of options not available through the limited Volusion features.

I don't know if we could make the Google Product reviews work for us, though. I completed the online form and got a response from Google saying our reviews would be ineligible because "The number of reviews . . . submitted in the form contain few or no 1 and 2 star reviews and this provides an inaccurate representation of product ratings for our users." We have hundreds of 5-star, but only (2) 1-star and (2) 2-star ratings. We have received a few other 1 or 2 star reviews over the years, but we have either hidden or deleted them because they were nasty customers saying nasty things that didn't truly represent the product. Most often they are cases of user error or lack of understanding what they bought. When people vent and don't give a true and honest assessment of the product, that is misleading. Google says that they want an accurate representation, but when you give them one they won't accept it.

So, for everyone out there, make sure you sell some substandard products that won't be received well by your customers to ensure that you get the requisite number of negative reviews. Why, because Google says so. I suppose you could also treat your customers poorly and ship their products late to get a few more negative reviews.

No matter what you do, don't be a great company. Nice guys finish last - with Google!

Mike

GGG
08-22-2016, 01:37 PM
Yikes!! Um, I can't do this. If we get poor product reviews, I'll dump the product ASAP in favor of a better one and 301 to a category page. I'm not selling trash... not even for Google. I guess I won't sell at all then? sigh.