PDA

View Full Version : Free Shipping Code Or No Code?

AWCthreads
08-22-2012, 08:10 PM
What's the vote?

Free shipping with a promo code or without a promo code and why?

Ben
08-23-2012, 03:25 AM
My first thought is no code, make it simple and don't make people jump through hoops.

However, if you do it with a code a couple of things may happen:

First, some people who are happy to pay for shipping will not bother finding or using the code and will pay you more (conversely people who want free shipping but can't/don't find the code may not buy at all)

Second and most important, news that you are offering a special deal to those who use the code will spread (particularly if you spread it yourself) so you encourage people to share the code via facebook etc and you may even pick up a few links from blogs etc.

Personally I go with straight up free shipping; no codes, no hassle, just make it simple for people to buy from you.

JBO
08-29-2012, 09:41 AM
We do free shipping automatically at $90 (Fedex Ground or USPS Priority). Our average ticket size is $150 though, so you may be way different. Our smaller orders are $20-$50, and larger are in the $500-$1000 range, so they're big enough to warrant free shipping.

KKS
08-29-2012, 01:26 PM
I agree with Ben that there are pros and cons for both. I do automatic free shipping for a designated order total.

Phil
08-30-2012, 05:52 PM
You can use free shipping to push people to spend a little more. If your average order is $50, then try free shipping at $75 and see how it goes. Try different things using coupon codes before you lock it down with anything permanent.

MILWAR
09-13-2012, 03:28 PM
We're in the same industry as JBO. We have free shipping on anything over $200.

Make it automatic, don't use codes. When you make the description for the FREE shipping method make sure it says FREE in all caps like this (and have them at the TOP of your list):

FREE UPS Ground (3-5 days)
FREE US Postal (8-10 days)
UPS Ground (3-5 days) $13.23
UPS 3 Day Select (3 days) $25.43
etc, etc

Matt