Show gift options during checkout - force on? - Ecommerce Forums

Thread: Show gift options during checkout - force on?

Show gift options during checkout - force on?

Is it possible to set the 'Show gift options during checkout' checkbox to be ON by default? If not through configuration then by javascript? The checkbox is so buried away on the Cart page that many people will miss it completely, and then wonder where their gift options vanished to.

Phil, are you looking to have both gift notes and gift wrapping enabled? We don't offer gift wrap, so ended up just using a field on our checkout page for gift notes.

Seemed a lot less confusing than the current gift option stuff to me.

We're wanting to offer both. Our new site is very biased toward the idea that we'll wrap it and pack it and include your gift message too. We realize that V's implementation is up to their usual standard (sucks) but we're trying to make the best of it. Without customers realizing they have to check that box we're sunk before we've begun!

Actually we've discussed trying to remove the 'gift message per item' field from checkout and just leave the main 'free' message, to make it less confusing. So if anyone's got that figured out we'd like to know how.

Thanks for the help by the way, very much appreciated.
    Last edited by Phil; 06-26-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    We're wanting to offer both. Our new site is very biased toward the idea that we'll wrap it and pack it and include your gift message too. We realize that V's implementation is up to their usual standard (sucks) but we're trying to make the best of it. Without customers realizing they have to check that box we're sunk before we've begun!

Actually we've discussed trying to remove the 'gift message per item' field from checkout and just leave the main 'free' message, to make it less confusing. So if anyone's got that figured out we'd like to know how.

Thanks for the help by the way, very much appreciated.
    Absolutely understand. I'd love to offer a 'gift' receipt per se but couldn't figure out a way to do it without enabling all the gift options...which look like a hot mess of confusion to me from a customer's viewpoint. Instead opted to remove prices from the packing slip via one of Marc's fixes.

Fortunately, we have customers that will checkout as many times as needed to send to different addresses. I hope so, anyway!

uhoh, hope you're not a competitor...

Us, a competitor, never!?

Was able to hide the Volusion entry with:

#v65-cart-shipping-details-text {display:none !important;}

which then frees us to put the checkbox back in at the top of the page with attention-grabbing styling, so that's half the battle won. The checkbox state is not checked by the system, it's triggered by an 'onclick' event, so the way to get it to be on-by-default gets even murkier.

hahaha.

If I was on the other forum, then I'd know who you were.

See how anonymity helps the free flow share of info among competitors?