Review of the Handy Score Cardboard Scoring Tool - Ecommerce Forums

Thread: Review of the Handy Score Cardboard Scoring Tool

Review of the Handy Score Cardboard Scoring Tool

We produce all our boxes (excluding USPS) from cardboard pads (4x8) and we've always just used a simple tool. We found this tool called the "Handy Score" and here is my review of it:

I welcome any feedback or suggested tools for working cardboard pads or boxes.

I personally think that tool would be pretty useless. I use a simple razor blade type box cutter and score the inside of boxes to cut them down to size all the time and don't really see much need for a better/different tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc_ASN View Post
    I personally think your making too much of nothing. I use a simple razor blade and score the inside of boxes to cut them down to size all the time and don't really see much need for a better tool.
    You say, score to cut them down... You mean you just score one face of the material to create a bend/score point for the flap to fold over?

Well yes. I use the blade to cut the box down if the height is to high then cut the corners to the new height and then score the inside of the box and fold in the now scored flaps.

I am not really in a business where the look of the final box is all that important so as long as the product gets there in one piece, who cares.

I do this practice mostly with international order as I try and get the dimensions as small as possible to keep the freight costs down for the customer.
    Last edited by Marc_NY; 03-06-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Well yes. I use the blade to cut the box down if the height is to high then cut the corners to the new height and then score the inside of the box and fold in the now scored flaps.

I am not really in a business where the look of the final box is all that important so as long as the product gets there in one piece, who cares.
    How do you score the inside of the box while not cutting through the back face (folded edge) of the box AND keep the line straight at the same time? Normally people use a cutdown tool:

41YW5RyZVDL.jpg

It may not be perfectly straight but for our purposes a simple box cutter does the trick. I have about 3 box cutters and I have trouble finding them as is. Don't need any other tools to keep track of.

You really do not need much force to score the box enough to get it to fold easily. I guess I just have a lot of practice, which keeps me from going through the box when scoring it on the inside.

Ha, I just cut down a USPS box today. It was a little too big and I did not want to pay for a few pounds of filler (it was a fragile shipment). I ended up using a ruler and the back edge of the box-cutter. It was not too pretty and I am glad I don't do a lot. If I did I would dig around and find my Crafting Scoring Tool. It plastic and you can press fairly hard with it without cutting through.

DMoore if you are looking for a better scoring tool, I'd recommend a smooth Plastic one - they won't rip like the one you tried. Nice to see reviews on all of your gadgets though - keep up the good work. Saves us from wasting our time and money when you find a dud!

That also reminds me - is there a rule about modifying Priority Mail Boxes? I do it occasionally and I never pay Flat Rate if I have modified one, but their box sizes are so strange. Sometimes it is so hard to get one to fit but one will be so close. I always pay for actual size and wt so I figure it's fair game, but???? My thought is why should one size be ok but another not - all of the boxes are so close in size or so strange.
    Brenda
    The Gentle Bath & Company

Quote Originally Posted by GentleBath View Post
    That also reminds me - is there a rule about modifying Priority Mail Boxes? I do it occasionally and I never pay Flat Rate if I have modified one, but their box sizes are so strange. Sometimes it is so hard to get one to fit but one will be so close. I always pay for actual size and wt so I figure it's fair game, but???? My thought is why should one size be ok but another not - all of the boxes are so close in size or so strange.
    I never use the flat rate boxes because they are rarely a good deal and other than having to fill a flatrate box with void fillter, I don't see an advantage to cutting one down since they are solely weight based. You'd be better off looking at another size box like the region rate A and B boxes.

I gave this comment some thought...I think we, as retailers, can "get away with" some things that customers will accept without any or too much complaint but given the incredible competition and how a box and it's packing, taping and labeling make the first impression with a customer - if it is possible to do it "right" without any additional or very low cost - why not?

I have a vendor that I use reluctantly because they just seem "cheap" - the orders arrive packed in what looks like trash and with recycled (cut off/marked out labels) boxes and it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I know if I'm thinking this about my vendors that my customers think the same things about our company. So, we have done everything to get our packages to look as good as any major retailer (amazon) would ship. How much differences does it make? Who knows, since it would be nearly impossible to capture that data but I'm convinced that it all matters.

Again depends on the market but I know for all my customers the packaging makes a huge difference in customer satisfaction. Like Dmoore we are always striving to improve presentation in any way we can.