I知 going to choose either Bigcommerce or Volusion. Thanks so much for the insights. - Ecommerce Forums

Thread: I知 going to choose either Bigcommerce or Volusion. Thanks so much for the insights.

I知 going to choose either Bigcommerce or Volusion. Thanks so much for the insights.

I知 deciding on which platform I値l migrate to, Bigcommerce or Volusion. I'm happy with the richness of built-in features from Volusion, but I learned complaints that Volusion is rigid for outside designers and their own design services are very over-priced. So I am not sure how my team would be able to tweak the back end to modify things like color, font size, page layout, etc, when it comes to conversion optimization.

Besides, I heard bad stories about Volusion charging high on bandwidth. Some IP's which are sharing the same server might be sucking the BW and there is no way Volusion can prevent this from happening. I expect to see 3,000-5,000 visits/month this year and hope to grow into 10,000 monthly visits. Would BW charge be out of control?

About Bigcommerce, I feel its templates are less esthetically appealing than Volusion痴 paid templates ($695 or $995). Perhaps the reason is all Bigcommerce templates are free.

About the cosmetic features, I知 not looking for a total custom redesign (this would be ideal). As long as a platform (either Bigcommerce or Volusion) can allow me or my team to tweak on things like color, size, placement, I値l be OK with it.

I壇 be most grateful if you could give me your insights, or simply post my question on the forum.

Thank you immensely,

Simon

Big Commerce is very aggressive with new features and some people who moved are very happy. You need to make sure that Big Commerce has the features you need. Big Commerce is out of Australia, and venture backed. Volusion seems to be the largest one in this space right now, but Big Commerce is adding stores fast. Shopify and 3dCart are other stores to look at (I am a big 3dCart fan, and the Executive Responsiveness is A+, and I like where they are going.).

Volusion has positives and negatives, so it depends on your business which cart is right for you.

Challenges for Volusion:
    BW Overages
    PCI Compliance
    Lack of meaningful new features (yes, Paypal was a nice add, finally - I am very frustrated on the review length field not being fixed)
    Lack of listening to end users
    Customer Forum that has issues (which is why this forum exists)
    Hard to customize

Positives for Volusion:
    Easy to Use
    Ability to change / update data easily
    Import / Export Functionality
    Overall features

If you already have a shopping cart, cart 2 cart is a good way to move data between carts.
    Last edited by ritchey; 05-22-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Hi Ritchey,

Thank you very much for your reply. It seems BC is adding new features faster and is more responsive.

From your insightful comments, you like Volusion in Easy to Use, Ability to change / update data easily, and Import / Export Functionality. These are very nice things I very much value if I migrate from a custom CMS into a new open CMS. I知 not looking for a template redesign. As long as a platform (either Bigcommerce or Volusion) is flexible enough to allow me or my team to tweak on things like color, size, icon/button placement after I have done a A/B test, I値l be OK with it.

Not to mention the fact that you think Volusion is better than BC in overall features.

I somehow felt Bigcommerce templates are less appealing than Volusion痴 paid templates. Perhaps the reason is all Bigcommerce templates are free?

In regard to Volusion high BW charge, my site has about 400-500 furniture products and I expect 3K-5K monthly visitors toward the end of this year, and look for 10K next.

Would Volusion BW charge be getting me into trouble?

Thanks,

Simon

At your visitor count, BW should not be a major issue.

I am not up to date on what features Big Commerce has released. There are a lot of happy ex Volusion stores at BC.

Each shopping cart has positives and negatives, and you need to find the right one for you.

There are a lot of happy ex Volusion stores at BC - This explains everything! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ritchey View Post

Each shopping cart has positives and negatives, and you need to find the right one for you.
    They haven't invented the 'perfect' cart for me yet. Can I take the best of all instead

I too am thinking of changing, mainly because of bandwidth charges, but concerned about the cost of transferring it all. I had a designer design my website for Volusion and I love it. I assume if I change to Big Commerce I would have to pay them to redesign it for Big Commerce?

No, we have moved Volusion stores to other platforms and are able to keep a lot of the original design in tact. It isn't easy but can get mostly get you there. You can send me a PM and I can take a look at your store and give you some feedback if you'd like.
    Thanks,
    Erik Ellsworth
    CEO
    Convergent7
    Free SEO Analysis