I bought a new domain from Godaddy. Should I let Godaddy or Bigcommerce host it? - Ecommerce Forums

Thread: I bought a new domain from Godaddy. Should I let Godaddy or Bigcommerce host it?

I bought a new domain from Godaddy. Should I let Godaddy or Bigcommerce host it?

Godaddy is one of the largest domain hosts. But since I've signed up for BC's Silver plan, what would be the best way to host the new domain from the perspectives like security, reliability, SEO, convenience, etc? I'd really appreciate if you'd share your own experience.

Thanks,

Simon

Are you asking who should host it or who should be your registrar?
    Thanks,
    Erik Ellsworth
    CEO
    Convergent7
    Free SEO Analysis

Hi Erik,

I'm asking for both hosting and registration. I bought a new domain via Godaddy Auction, but am not sure if I need to get it registered after the transaction, or it's automatically registered. But my most pressing question is if I'd better have Godaddy or Bigcommerce to host the domain for the sake of security, convenience (as i build this domain website on BC platform).

I assume I can register the domain with Godaddy and a different company for hosting, right?

thanks,

Simon

I'm confused. What are you planning to do with the domain name? Open another store? Redirect the URL to your current store? Hang onto it to block competitors from purchasing? Cash park it? Use as an affiliate? What's your goal here?

???

EDIT: I would never use the same company as registrar and host...

Sorry, I’d have made my question clearer.

A short question is I wanted to build a new online store with the domain purchased via Godaddy Auction, using Bigcommerce’s platform. Because BC is a host shopping cart solution, so I guess I have to have this site hosted with BC (I already bought its silver plan). But my little concern was if I should also use BC as registrar.

A long story is my current online store (using a different platform than BC) has been hit by Penguin and it seems it’d never recover regardless of my effort including sending a disavowing file. So I’m going to transfer all product/customer data to the new store. But I don’t want to 301 redirect, as I’m afraid of importing bad links.

Erik, you already suggested you never use a same company as registrar and host. Is this out of security consideration or something else that I haven’t been aware of?

thanks so much,

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post

Erik, you already suggested you never use a same company as registrar and host. Is this out of security consideration or something else that I haven’t been aware of?

thanks so much,

Simon
    That was me being paranoid. The domain is already registered via GoDaddy (assuming you've completed everything properly). I'd just point it to BC servers and be done with it. Is BC even a registrar? I've never looked. However, even if I had GoDaddy host a site, I wouldn't register the domain there. Too easy theft!

However, you bring up a whole slew of other questions that I wouldn't touch without hiring an SEO professional before implementation.

I'm not sure if Bigcommerce does domain registration. I would recommend using GoDaddy for the registration (it seems like it should already be there if you won it via their auction). Even if BC could be your registrar, that could make it more complicated in the future if for some reason you were to change platforms.
    Also, you will have no choice but to have Bigcommerce host the site as you rightly point out that it is a hosted platform.
    <div style="float:left;">
    --
    <a href="https://plus.google.com/+ScottWilliamsC7/" rel="me">Scott Williams</a>
    Technical Marketing Manager
    <b>Convergent7</b>
    </div>

Erik and Scott, it's all clear, many thanks! Besides, it's quite interesting to know it'd better not use a same company as registrar and host to be safer.

Have a good day!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Besides, it's quite interesting to know it'd better not use a same company as registrar and host to be safer.
    To be clear, I think this is more the case if you are on some sort of hosted platform. I would have no problem hosting a Wordpress or pure HTML site on GoDaddy hosting if registered there. But the risk of some hosted platform company (that does not have a primary role of registrar) having control over my domain would make me nervous.
    <div style="float:left;">
    --
    <a href="https://plus.google.com/+ScottWilliamsC7/" rel="me">Scott Williams</a>
    Technical Marketing Manager
    <b>Convergent7</b>
    </div>

Well i might suggest that if you divert the URL to your present store? Hold onto it to prevent opponents from purchasing it.