SSL Recommendation? - Ecommerce Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SSL Recommendation?

SSL Recommendation?

We want to buy an SSL certificate. To be clear - not an SSL provided by Volusion or the eCommerce provider.

Any recommendations? Norton? Geotrust? Others?

Minimum ecryption 40 bit or 128?
    Last edited by AWCthreads; 10-21-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Are you after SSL branding or low cost?

We used Thawte and Verisign in the past. However, on our last renewal, we moved to GoDaddy. We got the EV (extended validation) SSL for super cheap - like $70 per year (vs $300+ per year with GeoTrust). The EV turns the address bar green in supported browsers. You can use the GoDaddy seal or a more generic one.

The Norton (verisign) branding is awfully tempting. Unfortunately, its awfully expensive.

What's the minimum encryption you're using with GoDaddy?

just out of curiosity - just wondering why you aren't considering a cert from V? We use them and haven't had any issues in the past and they are inexpensive.

And if you use a 3rd party SSL, there is an install cost I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by AWCthreads View Post
    What's the minimum encryption you're using with GoDaddy?
    1. It's 256.
    2. Volusion charges a $99 install fee for certs that are not sold by Volusion.

http://www.godaddy.com/ssl/ssl-certi...s.aspx?ci=8979

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBeauandBelle View Post
    just out of curiosity - just wondering why you aren't considering a cert from V? We use them and haven't had any issues in the past and they are inexpensive.
    No alarm bells. It's not about the quality of the cert from V.

With low budge certs, encryption levels often start at 40 bit. Then go up to 128 bit (along with the price).

To my understanding a 40 bit encryption is not a sufficient standard for ecommerce but rather 128 bit minimum.

I'm pretty sure ours are 128 and V uses Geotrust as their goto, so when you buy from V, you are getting Geotrust wrapped in a V package.

The part that I like about the GoDaddy offering is that it is EV, and an overall better value.

Warranty is $250K vs $10K.

Two year plan is discounted to $75 per year.

As for buying a cert from Volusion:

1. We give them enough of our money as it is for their mediocre ecommerce platform. Plus PCI fees. Total ripoff.
    2. We already pay $25 per month to remove their link from our site. Total ripoff.
    3. A cert from V is basically more free advertising for V. Screw that.
    4. When we move to another platform, we have no dependence on V for the cert. Nice and clean.

Yes, we have to pay them $99 to have the cert installed, and is pretty much a standard for other platforms, too. But, I would rather not have the dependence on V.
    Last edited by Rick H.; 10-21-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick H. View Post
    2. Volusion charges a $99 install fee for certs that are not sold by Volusion.
    So does 3d.

Sorry Rick, but I couldn't use GoDaddy.

They may provide a great service, but I want something that is recognized as secure (Norton, McAfee, GeoTrust, Thawte etc.).

The GoDaddy brand is about GoDaddy just like Volusion is about Volusion. Neither is branded security.

Understood.

Hence, my original question:

Are you after SSL branding or low cost?

If you are looking for branding, my first choice right now would be GeoTrust.

1. Thawte and Verisign are the same company.
    2. I don't like the Norton or McAfee names as they are associated with their core (original) business, antivirus. Many people love them or hate them. We will no longer put anything on our site that has those names.

GoDaddy has an option to not have their name on the security badge. The actual issuer is Starfield Technologies.

Yep. We're after the brand at an affordable price and GeoTrust is the lead dog in this race right now.

Thawte would also be in the hunt but I'd have to pay a $99 install fee every time I renew, which takes them out of the picture.