Do you know SQL and Volusion and Looking for Additional Income? - Ecommerce Forums

Thread: Do you know SQL and Volusion and Looking for Additional Income?

Question Do you know SQL and Volusion and Looking for Additional Income?

I often have many business questions that I know that Volusion can help me answer if I only knew how to extract the data to answer it. I see a real opportunity for some smart person that understands Volusion and is also good with SQL to develop pre-canned solutions for data mining of Volusion data. It seems there could be a question posted, then if there were not already a canned solution (developed from another customer), the customer could be informed to "purchase" product solution X which is $10 or $15 or $20... Then they would complete a detailed feedback form (what data, what time frame, format of data, how data should be sorted, etc) and then the vendor would post a solution to the customer (download of PDF, video, etc.) Then no only does that customer get their solution but then others can browse the list of pre-made solutions and get ideas on the methods they might use to mine their own data.

Thanks,
    David

Interesting idea. We (Convergent7) have helped a lot of clients with this type of work in the past. I know there are a few others on the forum that know SQL and the Volusion database as well.
    I like the implementation idea though. While we have a repository of code internally at C7 we have not really publicized that much. We are in the process of doing a major overhaul of our site and will be offering a variety of other solutions (mostly customization code). This might be something we could look at offering if there were enough people interested.
    <div style="float:left;">
    --
    <a href="https://plus.google.com/+ScottWilliamsC7/" rel="me">Scott Williams</a>
    Technical Marketing Manager
    <b>Convergent7</b>
    </div>

Well, just having the solution out in the open sure makes it more likely to sell than waiting for a customer to just happen upon you, then want that specific solution (such as a query.) It also lets you determine yourself, how much value a query would have to other customers - so maybe for something you know that would be useful to lots of others, then you offer it at a lower price knowing you'll have no problems selling it vs a very industry specific query that you request more for.

We do this exact thing, only we don't create the content. We find customers that develop add-ons to an software application, we then clean them up, package them (standardized wording, formatting, etc), then sell them. We then pay a commission or we buy the add-on outright if we think there will be lots of sales. There isn't anything as satisfying than having an order come through for a bunch of these and my only effort is to close the order and collect the money.

I'd also assume this leads to questions like - hey, since you guys are good at this, can you do this on my website (SEO, mass change products, logos, tweak things, etc), all which could again, be packaged and literally be "sold" on the website as a product (they would of course need to be well defined.)

Now that I say this, I really wonder why it wouldn't have already been done before.

Yes, thanks for the input. One of the challenges is that so often the SQL queries wind up being very unique to a client's needs. We have been hard at work to fully update the site to make clear the variety of services and "products" we offer.
    --
    <b>Convergent7</b>
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by swilliams View Post
    Yes, thanks for the input. One of the challenges is that so often the SQL queries wind up being very unique to a client's needs. We have been hard at work to fully update the site to make clear the variety of services and "products" we offer.
    I suspect a standardized template with standardized variables (<your domain>, <product ID>, <date>, etc) could be used to make it easy for each customer to modify the template. If you were really slick, drop some code onto the site, then have prompts that allow the user to create a custom version of the code - with authentication occuring through volusions product ID function.

I would love if there was a site with a list of reports and I could order the ones I want. For an additional cost, I may be able to add some customization. Most times, I can work my way around enough to figure out how to update something later...it's just that upfront creation.

Free Money to all the smart SQL people out there...

If there was a list I know I would buy a bunch of them.

You know, I wonder if I should just post this onto something like elance for one of the Volusion "consultants".

If you contact Erik or Scott directly through convergent7 they would probably give you a quote on how much to develop.

Marc could also do something like that I am sure.

elance and guru are other resources to find somebody to do some sql. What you described is not a super fast job. Formatting is always a headache in reports. What I found it is takes as much time to figure the specifications, as to code it. And the headache on coding is figuring out where the data is.

Thanks Ray. Yes, we have some of these developed already and often write custom SQL for clients' various needs.
    --
    <b>Convergent7</b>
    </div>