Let's talk about responsive design - Page 5 - Ecommerce Forums
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Let's talk about responsive design

I am sure with Volusions 'expertise' at marketing if they had Responsive templates coming anytime in the next 3 months they would have already started using it on the sign up page.

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    I can't stand shopping 'classic mobile' sites (I'm the shopper who clicks the full site link) but as an owner I want to make sure that the responsive design we serve up will be the best that it can be.
    So true. But whatever your stance on responsive design as a user, there's no disputing the value of having a mobile-friendly site as a merchant. Especially now with the announcement that mobile-friendly sites will rank higher on Google organic.

Starting April 21, we will be expanding our use of mobile-friendliness as a ranking signal. This change will affect mobile searches in all languages worldwide and will have a significant impact in our search results. Consequently, users will find it easier to get relevant, high quality search results that are optimized for their devices.
    Some might argue that's been the case for awhile, but now it's official per Google.

FYI, here is Google's own tool to check for "mobile friendliness": https://www.google.com/webmasters/to...bile-friendly/

Thanks, GDF.

I'm confident that most of the forum users know how important mobile friendly is.... the tricky part is getting it done.

Here's my take and your choices:

1. Use Volusion's mobile version which we know is loaded with usability issues and is not the path Google wants you to go - Cost: $0
    2. Migrate to Volusion's interim responsive system - Cost: $$
    3. Wait for the AngularJS template system and migrate at that time - Cost: $$$
    4. Leave Volusion - Cost: $$$$$

From the volume of stores we work with mobile and tablet traffic is a large portion and 99% have an absolutely poor conversion rate on the mobile side. You're already losing business...even if you have option #1 implemented.

From a business perspective I don't see how you can ignore option #2. Yes it isn't perfect but it accomplishes two main objectives:

1. Makes your store responsive and provides a better experience than what your clients have now; and
    2. Meets Google's requirements for the 4/21 deadline

Waiting for Option #3: it will be here eventually, but then you have another set of challenges:

1. You have to wait for the official release
    2. Find a developer (yes, your nephew's bff who knows CSS can't do this for you)
    3. Completely rebuild your entire template
    4. Put it on a sandbox and test and refine
    5. Relaunch your store
    6. Hope that AngularJS will not negatively affect your SEO because of the technology and how it is implemented

IMHO the opportunity lost is already costing you and I am very surprised how many people are not moving forward with something to make their store better. What do you think your competitors are doing? Those non-Volusion stores are adapting their stores and getting better. Every day you wait you're falling behind.

You're going to pay...one way or another. Most of your stores go in lockdown by October 1 for the holiday season so that gives you 7 months. Option #3 is a probably a 3 month process...from the day Volusion releases it. And I doubt many of you want to take the risk of launching a completely new platform on September 30...you'll want the dust to settle and make adjustments. So you will want to finish the migration to AngularJS by September 1. You need to get started by the beginning of June.

Does anyone trust a 1.0 release from Volusion? The matter of fact from any software vendor? There will be issues and a learning curve so you're really talking about a 4-5 month process.

Your window is closing folks. Even when it does come out you're talking about 25,000 stores who will be looking for AngularJS developers...might be a little line.
    Thanks,
    Erik Ellsworth
    CEO
    Convergent7
    Free SEO Analysis

Agree on all points, Erik. That's why I ultimately went with option 2 when Google announced. I'll blow more $ after V finally releases the angular... when all is working properly and devs/templates are readily available. I thought you said the slugs (or whatever they're called) were going to help with SEO on the new framework?

Unfortunately, it's STILL difficult to find people who can help with option #2. Total rework of my nav menus, current customizations, styling. God help me because I need a miracle!

I agree with Erik for the most part. I think the only realistic option available for the majority of Volusion users are either option 2 or 4. Option 1 is not even an option and option 3 is not a viable option for Grandma's of the world. It's not an option for me so it certainly not one for Grandma.

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    Agree on all points, Erik. That's why I ultimately went with option 2 when Google announced. I'll blow more $ after V finally releases the angular... when all is working properly and devs/templates are readily available. I thought you said the slugs (or whatever they're called) were going to help with SEO on the new framework?

Unfortunately, it's STILL difficult to find people who can help with option #2. Total rework of my nav menus, current customizations, styling. God help me because I need a miracle!
    Triple G...we're about to finish up 12 responsive sites (non-Volusion) so if you or others are looking to meet the April 21 deadline, please reach out to me as we are setting priorities now for the V sites we're about to migrate.
    Thanks,
    Erik Ellsworth
    CEO
    Convergent7
    Free SEO Analysis

For option 2, do you need to use a Volusion paid template, or is their Free one workable?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc_NY View Post
    I agree with Erik for the most part. I think the only realistic option available for the majority of Volusion users are either option 2 or 4. Option 1 is not even an option and option 3 is not a viable option for Grandma's of the world. It's not an option for me so it certainly not one for Grandma.
    GASP!!!!!!! No way I'm going to let that one pass.

I said when/if it's working properly and templates/devs are readily available for hire and up to speed.... about three years from now. (sarcasm... still smarting from the January 2014 announcement when this thread was started)

If I can't do it, then neither can about 30k or more Volusion stores without devs on hand. So a huge waste of V's time? Most of us are not devs, designers, or coders... just entrepreneurs. I suspect that's why they run optimizely in my admin. Probably an 'average' customer.

I may be a proud Grandma, but I'm not stupid and I'm not above asking questions. Lots of them. I'm not dead yet, so don't count me out. (and YOU'RE gonna' miss me when I'm gone... who else would try your patience!).

Quote Originally Posted by ritchey View Post
    For option 2, do you need to use a Volusion paid template, or is their Free one workable?
    We can work with the free one as a basis of migration.

The premium templates really only add some nice-to-have bells and whistles. They add in some framework stuff and extra JS for functionality but the overall coding is basically the same.

If you like features from the premium templates we can typically just add them.
    Thanks,
    Erik Ellsworth
    CEO
    Convergent7
    Free SEO Analysis

Errg. Just studying the free responsive templates. Specifically, the category pages. Volusion hard coded in some the the css. Seriously? More stupid crap from Volusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick H. View Post
    Errg. Just studying the free responsive templates. Specifically, the category pages. Volusion hard coded in some the the css. Seriously? More stupid crap from Volusion.
    Specifically, the so-called grid they just updated. Unbelievable if it it was any other company. Totally believable with all the stupid shi* that Volusion does.

Volusion mananger to intern on discovering all the senior coders have gone to lunch/ sxsw/ wherever: "Hey, just tweak the category page design will you, the bosses wife says they should be pink".

Volusion intern working on responsive template: "Oh sure, I can just put that in here, ok?"

Manager: "fine, whatever, I'm missing my massage".

Phil, which changes are you referring to? I saw the change of the responsive subcategory thumbnails. I thought that was a new option. Haven't had time to look at it yet. Is that what you are using? Would like to see an example of it in use.