Fraud ALERT, everyone read this. - Ecommerce Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fraud ALERT, everyone read this.

Exclamation Fraud ALERT, everyone read this.

We are getting inundated by fraudulent orders.
    Here is the scary part. They are coming it with matching billing, shipping, and matching AVS codes.
    They do not match the actual credit card. I've had 2 people call to inform us about their stolen card.
    After talking with them I found out that the information supplied is not even close to theirs.
    The name does not match the cards either.
    Please pass the word around.

What sucks is I shipped one last Friday, that may be fraudulent. I'm just curious how they are going to do a charge back if I sent to the billing address.

FWI they are trying to purchase the gopro cameras on every order. So if anyone else here sells them be especially aware.

I've had at least 50 get rejected for some reason or another and I have canceled at least a dozen because they don't pass the sniff test.

Justin,

Thanks for the heads up.

Can you be clearer for me? Are you saying that all info matches except the name on the card and the card number? I don't mean to be dense here, but I'm not sure I understand what you're saying to look for. How would the transaction be approved?

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    Justin,

Thanks for the heads up.

Can you be clearer for me? Are you saying that all info matches except the name on the card and the card number? I don't mean to be dense here, but I'm not sure I understand what you're saying to look for. How would the transaction be approved?
    The billing address and name supplied on the order does not actually match the card owners information even though we are getting avs matches.

Which payment gateway do you use and have you communicated with them about this?
    What kind of cards are used -- MC, VISA, or AMEX?

We use authorize.net for the gateway and merchant solutions as our processor. I went back through and it looks like they were all visa cards.
    I got the gateway, merchant solutions, and first data Omaha on a conference call. They all passed the buck to each other. Saying that the issuing bank is giving the approval code and its not there fault.

Could this have something to do with the way your fraud settings through authorize.net? Never mind, I'm sure you've already checked.

We have had an increased number of 'invalid credit card number' declines. I'd have to check and see if Visa.

Wonder if this has something to do with all the stolen Target, Neiman Marcus info. We're trying to stay vigilant here...

Justin, I am sorry they are pointing fingers at each other. Are you able to contact the issuing banks?

Quote Originally Posted by KKS View Post
    Justin, I am sorry they are pointing fingers at each other. Are you able to contact the issuing banks?
    No, I have no way of knowing what they are, the 2 people that called were not "willing" to give up that much info.

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    Could this have something to do with the way your fraud settings through authorize.net? Never mind, I'm sure you've already checked.

We have had an increased number of 'invalid credit card number' declines. I'd have to check and see if Visa.

Wonder if this has something to do with all the stolen Target, Neiman Marcus info. We're trying to stay vigilant here...
    Settings are fine, I have a feeling some bank or visa has been compromised directly. Somehow they are making the bogus billing address come back as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    No, I have no way of knowing what they are, the 2 people that called were not "willing" to give up that much info.
    How did they know to call you? Did they see charges on their accounts? If I were them, I would be concerned about their accounts being compromised and give up the info -- they wouldn't be putting themselves at risk.

I would think someone would have to give you the info about the issuing bank in cases where you shipped and a chargeback occurs.

Yes the 2 people that called saw the transaction listed on their on line statements.
    I can't really blame them for not giving me all the details.

Ya I'll find out when I get a chargeback. And I have a feeling I will be getting one of them.
    But I'm not sure what is going to happen because I technically got an clean avs and I shipped the order to that address.

Justin,

Just for kicks, have you checked out who actually lives at the address(es) you shipped to? Are they U.S. addresses?
    Last edited by GGG; 02-01-2014 at 12:43 PM.

The only order I shipped (I can't grantee its bad yet) Its a business address in Huston TX.

Call your credit card processor, and talk to them. It's the next layer past authorize.net For me, it's Elavon. They can see the card # and from that the bank. Authorize.net can also give you the bank.

Very strange on everything matching...

Names are not checked in AVS, unfortunately. On AVS there are different levels. You can do exact match on address, zip cod only, or 1 element such as street number, city, zip code, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    The only order I shipped (I can't grantee its bad yet) Its a business address in Huston TX.
    I live in "Houston" texas and I'd be happy to help if I can.

If you use UPS, you can do a mid-delivery intercept and get the order sent back to you.

David