Social Buttons Bad For Conversion? - Page 2 - Ecommerce Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Social Buttons Bad For Conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by GentleBath View Post
    The actual conversions on our site related to FB, Pinterest are always at the very bottom if they have even contributed at all, so I suppose for our products it is not a help for actual sales.

I read this article the other day that pretty much says Google is not counting the actual likes and what not. Many other things to worry about for sure!

http://searchengineland.com/googles-...nternet-182370
    This just made my day and makes me want to ignore Twitter even more than ever. Facebook brings a fair amount of traffic to me, but not immediate conversions. Pinterest brings me traffic, but no conversions. Granted, I don't put a whole lot of effort into either and I know some stores are doing very well converting traffic from both.

Might be as one of the comments in the article suggested that Google is saying this to promote Google Plus. I can't seem to gain a foothold with Google Plus. It sort of reminds me of Twitter, more bullhorn and less interaction.

Granted, I am completely biased because I don't enjoy social media for personal use. I hate the juvenile race for Likes and followers, especially when I know many are bought.

KKS - I know, it made my day too! I really think it is worth any spare time I have (or even don't) to write articles for my site. I swear that when I post a new article my traffic and sales get a bump! And... that is when I don't mind sharing on FB etc, and where I WANT the share buttons. Information I think is more worthy of sharing. And, I think Google agrees, it seems that 99% of articles about SEO are saying "content' is King! Now that is a goal that I would support working towards!
    Brenda
    The Gentle Bath & Company

Quote Originally Posted by KKS View Post
    This just made my day and makes me want to ignore Twitter even more than ever. Facebook brings a fair amount of traffic to me, but not immediate conversions. Pinterest brings me traffic, but no conversions. Granted, I don't put a whole lot of effort into either and I know some stores are doing very well converting traffic from both.

Might be as one of the comments in the article suggested that Google is saying this to promote Google Plus. I can't seem to gain a foothold with Google Plus. It sort of reminds me of Twitter, more bullhorn and less interaction.

Granted, I am completely biased because I don't enjoy social media for personal use. I hate the juvenile race for Likes and followers, especially when I know many are bought.
    Absolutely. Although no one with a single brain cell these days would risk buying likes particularly on G+ as google are extremely tough on people who do. I have known people who's profiles have grown too rapidly and it has resulted in Google stripping them of all their pluses on pages even including the pluses that grew organically which then definitely does have a negative impact on search and also bans and closures on pages which again would impact search.

I am finding this totally expected of Google, why should they promote Twits/FB what is in it for them...no money. I am not bothered myself as ironically G+ is the only social media I can get on with. Mainly because it started on a much more intelligent basis of everyone in SEO joining because of the obvious implications and none of the kids.

The landscape however is changed quite a lot now from what it was say a year ago, when I started before then for example it was easier to get a foothold, and you are now getting people coming in trying to use it just like facebook which definitely doesn't work as there is a very different kind of ecology there.
    Last edited by Kitty; 02-06-2014 at 03:23 AM.

I think it's especially important to focus your social efforts on your target demographic...where your customers are most likely to be found, then determine what your customers most enjoy from your social efforts, and build on it.

For us, that's Facebook. I've never used FB as a tool to 'increase rankings'...thankfully it looks like Google could care less anyway. Thanks for the link, Brenda I use it for branding, and I also use it as a research tool to see what other products we can provide that our customers may enjoy. We have an extremely good conversion rate from Facebook...so far all 'unpaid'. Thus, our 'like' and 'share' buttons will stay on our product pages...and I don't really care what the latest study says. I believe that every store is unique.

For us, Twitter and G+ not so much. Pinterest increases our traffic, but does little for conversions...merely branding. In fact, those tools are so inconsequential to my sales and my customers that abandonment due to the appearance of those social buttons on our product pages would be so minimal as to laugh at. Could I increase conversions/sales via those social outlets? Of course I can...if I choose to spend the time and money making a size 8 foot fit into a size 6 shoe. So please tell me what I would gain in the long run?

In my humble opinion...if you have a limited amount of time and budget, simply find the social outlet most appropriate for your store and go with it.

As to pop-ups...one or two, how many seconds, blah, blah, blah...from an avid online shopper's perspective (my individual demographic...just me)...I bail. I'm pretty sure I'd do so unless the pop-up said 'everything is free today'...they instantly remind me that I'm visiting a site who is trying to push me into buying a product, forcing me to join a FB page, forcing me to give up personal info for a coupon, and receive more spam in my email. For me...it's like walking into a brick and mortar with a commissioned salesperson hovering over your shoulder...back off unless I ask for your help.

I'm sure study after study will prove me wrong...and please no solicitations in my email/inbox to prove the error of my ways. It's my store and I do what I want...or not. Slowly, but surely.

Kitty, you are definitely rocking the G+. I think you diagnosed my problem: I'm approaching it like Facebook. Seemed like Google made so many formatting changes to G+ last year that I was put off spending more time learning about the ecology.

With my site, the day job and friends that I help out I've got Analytics access for about 30 sites, in every single one the conversion rate from Social is a tiny fraction of the site average. Other people are saying the same:

http://www.ecommercejuice.com/2013/0...mmerce-or-not/ - not a great article but they reference a report by Monetate who are credible.

Matt Cutts says social is unimportant for SEO (except *maybe* G+) and the data says it's not much use for driving sales.
    There's an argument for brand awareness I suppose, some argue that it has a place as part of customer service but I'd rather not air dirty laundry in public.

Social is way down my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    With my site, the day job and friends that I help out I've got Analytics access for about 30 sites, in every single one the conversion rate from Social is a tiny fraction of the site average. Other people are saying the same:

http://www.ecommercejuice.com/2013/0...mmerce-or-not/ - not a great article but they reference a report by Monetate who are credible.

Matt Cutts says social is unimportant for SEO (except *maybe* G+) and the data says it's not much use for driving sales.
    There's an argument for brand awareness I suppose, some argue that it has a place as part of customer service but I'd rather not air dirty laundry in public.

Agreed, I feel too that the place for CS is not on FB or any social media if customers have to resort to that there is usually something wrong.

Thanks KKS but sadly I need to get back on track as you know had other priorities and at moment my main priority is still getting responsive and need to do some restructuring then I can start focussing on G+ properly again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    the conversion rate from Social is a tiny fraction of the site average.

100% agreed, Ben. So I choose to prioritize the little time I spend on the social outlet that works the best for us.

I'm happy to be seeing so much good info in this thread, as opposed to just SOCIAL IS DUMB! Makes me happy.

There are some comments above that are totally spot-on -- social is only helpful dependant upon your demographic.

For example -- if you're selling something like technology in the B2B space...maybe LinkedIn is a better place to focus your efforts than Facebook.

Of course, it's always important to remember that all marketing is ultimately B2H (biz to human), and that social can really help foster actual personal connections.

It's also a great way to give your brand exposure, build authority, and build trust in a specific niche. Of course, this is totally dependant upon whether your company and your niche are primed for a specific social network.

Google+ is super crazy important for SEO and online marketing in general, but that's its own nut entirely. Definitely worth cracking, though. Google+ is pretty interesting in terms of the ways in which the behavior of its users has helped it to distinguish itself from Facebook.