Hide When Out of Stock - Help - Ecommerce Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hide When Out of Stock - Help

Hide When Out of Stock - Help

I have a few products in my store that are out of stock. I will not be getting more inventory but I do not want to delete the products because they are indexed and ranking well in google and I'll take the traffic.

I can simply hide the products, but I'd like to use the Hide When Out of Stock button instead. I have Do Not Allow Backorders set but the product is not hiding. Is it because it's already 0 product? I'd like to use this setting to hide my products that go out of stock but I need to make sure it's functioning properly.

I think that 'hide product' may be a default when the conditions of the other two are met, so maybe you need to check it if you unchecked it in order to hide it?

We always have do not allow backorders set, and hide product when out of stock...then it automatically hides product when out of stock happens...and we're then able to change add to cart replacement text and refer to different product if stock is permanently discontinued. Google will eventually take out of index, but has taken months for us in some cases.

If just brief out of stock issue we have to 'uncheck' hide product since has automatically defaulted if we want the product to continue to display on storefront. Will replace add to cart button with anticipated date of arrival.

Not sure if this makes sense...

Some more tidbits from my personal notes:

Don't forget that 'Hide When Out of Stock' will not work if the count has been manually changed to 0 or less. It only works when stock has been initialized > 0 and has been lowered to 0 through order fulfillment. If that is the case, you would need to use the 'Hide Product' setting.

Also, a 'null' value means unlimited, so make sure the thing is O.

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    Some more tidbits from my personal notes:

Don't forget that 'Hide When Out of Stock' will not work if the count has been manually changed to 0 or less. It only works when stock has been initialized > 0 and has been lowered to 0 through order fulfillment. If that is the case, you would need to use the 'Hide Product' setting.

Also, a 'null' value means unlimited, so make sure the thing is O.
    Thanks Kelly. I'm thinking this is my issue. Perhaps I will manually hide the items that have 0 stock and assume that if everything is set correctly, when i run out of stock via fulfillment this option should work.

I've been using it since we opened. It does work unless manual change...promise.

I've been using it since we opened. It does work unless manual change...promise.
    Somehow I trust you....

Reigny, if you want to keep producst "as-is" showing in Google etc....go to products>>product display>AddtoCartBtn Replacement Text and type a message in there.

Don't hide it. It will keep your product visible, but let customers know whatever it is you want them to know.

Quote Originally Posted by AWCthreads View Post
    Reigny, if you want to keep producst "as-is" showing in Google etc....go to products>>product display>AddtoCartBtn Replacement Text and type a message in there.

Don't hide it. It will keep your product visible, but let customers know whatever it is you want them to know.
    Thank you but I think I will hide it. I have so many variations of these products that taking them away will not be an issue whatsoever. It's a set of dog socks and my customers have more than enough to choose from with a few of them being hidden. https://www.alldogboots.com/Dog-Socks-s/75.htm

Quote Originally Posted by reigny View Post
    Thank you but I think I will hide it. I have so many variations of these products that taking them away will not be an issue whatsoever. It's a set of dog socks and my customers have more than enough to choose from with a few of them being hidden. https://www.alldogboots.com/Dog-Socks-s/75.htm
    You can hide it, but it will still show in search. You'll still want to make it so it cannot be purchased and then you can inform them why.

If the page does rank well and perhaps has some backlinks, I would leverage that benefit as much as possible to other products/categories on the site. Just a thought.

You can hide it, but it will still show in search. You'll still want to make it so it cannot be purchased and then you can inform them why.

If the page does rank well and perhaps has some backlinks, I would leverage that benefit as much as possible to other products/categories on the site. Just a thought.
    Yes, I want it to show in search. They can't purchase it if it's out of stock. But yes, I can change the AddtoCartBtn Replacement Text and then direct them to another style. It's a good idea. Thank you

awc, you been out in the heat again with your shirt off darlin'? Isn't this pretty much what I said in my first post?

I think that 'hide product' may be a default when the conditions of the other two are met, so maybe you need to check it if you unchecked it in order to hide it?

We always have do not allow backorders set, and hide product when out of stock...then it automatically hides product when out of stock happens...

Not sure if this makes sense...
    It didn't.

It did to reigny, because I already know what she knows...including use of the add to cart replacement text...but you probably didn't know that I knew that...or that she did either.

Ha...Happy Friday the 13th!

It didn't.
    It did.

Did you also know that the 'Email-me-when-back-in-stock' works the same way? Ie: it won't get triggered by manual stock adjustments. It's a downside to using a third party back-end such as StoneEdge, because the stock adjustments are in effect 'manual' from Volusion's point of view.