Almost Zero Business for 2 Straight Days - Page 2 - Ecommerce Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Almost Zero Business for 2 Straight Days

With all the checkout problems (and I have them also), how do we find out whether BC (or any other cart for that matter) has similar problems or not?
    Certainly there are plenty of good-sounding reasons to go with BC- no bandwidth charges, responsive design, etc. But how do you show that BC (or any other cart for that matter) does not have the same or similar issues with checkout? That does not seem like something that is so easy to show- particularly because we this problem seems so elusive. I certainly do not trust a BC salesperson to assure me they don't have these problems!

One of the problems we discovered this Mother's Day holiday may be our bad? Or not? Does anyone else give customers the option of residential vs. business on shipping? Customers were calling saying the cart was just sitting there...they hadn't filled in the residential vs. business option and apparently no error message.

I'm now thinking of removing the option altogether.

Of course, usual issues with tax updates regarding 'change ship to address' and blah, blah, blah. Seems like we had many more calls than usual. I can't even think about those who didn't call and just bailed.

sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    I'm now thinking of removing the option altogether.
    I do not have the residential vs business option on my cart. Keep in mind, I do not offer customers choice of carrier and I do not use live rates.

I removed that option long ago. It makes no sense to let the customer decide what to check. They will almost always select res regardless of the actual classification so I would rather just charge everyone the same. Classification should come from the cart software but we all know where Volusion is at with that.

BC's forum is open for the world to see.

From what I can see, BC, Shopify, and 3dCart have a very solid checkout process and are making constant improvements.

From what I read, Volusion's focus is on Mozu...

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieF View Post
    With all the checkout problems (and I have them also), how do we find out whether BC (or any other cart for that matter) has similar problems or not?
    Certainly there are plenty of good-sounding reasons to go with BC- no bandwidth charges, responsive design, etc. But how do you show that BC (or any other cart for that matter) does not have the same or similar issues with checkout? That does not seem like something that is so easy to show- particularly because we this problem seems so elusive. I certainly do not trust a BC salesperson to assure me they don't have these problems!

Our sales are off about 40% this weekend (even factoring in mothers day). Called v, they report all is well. What else do you expect to hear?

Our sales are way down now also (for past 3 weeks!). We usually get a lull as the weather gets nicer, but this is more extreme than we've had before. Not sure what's going on but there seems to be higher Abandoned Carts.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc_NY View Post
    I removed that option long ago. It makes no sense to let the customer decide what to check. They will almost always select res regardless of the actual classification so I would rather just charge everyone the same. Classification should come from the cart software but we all know where Volusion is at with that.
    Same here. Downside is that UPS has about $3 residential charge that makes their rates way too high for some of our items.

Same here, very slow weekend, but I can never tell if it is a lull or problem with checkout. No calls - no complaints and traffic is slightly lower but ppc clicks stable. I checked my GA and it is showing about a 18% bale-out rate on checkout which is average I guess for our site. Today though many more abandoned carts than usual but one day is not enough to see what is really happening.

I am hoping it is a combination of post-Mother's Day and Spring Fever together.
    Brenda
    The Gentle Bath & Company

Interesting read on some potential Google changes:
    http://www.quicksprout.com/2014/05/1...y-penguin-3-0/

The frustrating part of low sales, is figuring out is it Volusion or Google.

Does anyone else give customers the option of residential vs. business on shipping? Customers were calling saying the cart was just sitting there...they hadn't filled in the residential vs. business option and apparently no error message.
    We just removed this because of the lack of an error message when it is not clicked. It was one of the big reasons people had trouble checking out. By the time they were down the page to check out they couldn't see that block any more. So they would push submit and nothing would happen. I submitted a ticket and went back and forth with Volusion but they will not add an error message and suggested that I submit a feature request. Years ago there was an error message when that field was left blank so I am not sure why they changed it. It is bad for us to change because we will either take a hit on every residential address we serve or have our rates high for the businesses.

Maybe the media's assault on online retailers, with their "Heartbleed Exploit" alarm has soured many people on internet shopping. Also, if you are buying the "we are no longer in a recession" balony that the US state-sponsored media outlets are repeating, then you might think everyone's sales should be improving. But they aren't and they won't - as long as anti-capitalist, communist sympathizers are running the show in the USA. Our sales are down, and I know exactly why - and its not because of any software issues. Its the psychological mindset of the consumer - and they are buying food, guns, ammo and other things that will be the new "money" when these commies finish off the dollar. Good luck to you all.

Thats as big a reach as any, I think.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by demitrius View Post
    Thats as big a reach as any, I think.
    That's what I used to think, man. Crazy isn't it?

Crazy is one way to put it.