Using Social Media to Get More E-Mail Subscribers - Ecommerce Forums

Thread: Using Social Media to Get More E-Mail Subscribers

Using Social Media to Get More E-Mail Subscribers

With the death of Google organic traffic we have been turning to every other avenue of traffic we can think of to boost sales. Right now our email subscribers are probably over 40% of our sales, so we are trying to build that list as it has really worked for us. We have been trying to find ways to get new email subscribers through social media, but so far we haven't figured it out. We have sent out Facebook email blasts trying to entice followers to sign up for our newsletter/sale ad by offering a secret discount coupon. No takers on that yet. Has anyone had any luck using social media to get new email subscribers? If so, are you using any specific Facebook apps to do this?

Mike

Contests seems to be part of the magic sauce for social.

Quote Originally Posted by ritchey View Post
    Contests seems to be part of the magic sauce for social.
    Okay, I feel really dumb, but what type of contests? That sounds intriguing, but new to me.

Mike

I am still figuring this out, but what I have heard is running contests is a way on FB and Pinterest to get E-Mail addresses. Give something way with a monthly drawing. There are Facebook apps to help in managing this.

With FB, it also seems important to pay, or you don't play much. Such as boosting posts. FB advertising, if done right with lots of targeting and testing, can be good too I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by ritchey View Post
    With FB, it also seems important to pay, or you don't play much. Such as boosting posts. FB advertising, if done right with lots of targeting and testing, can be good too I have heard.
    We're still in that "testing" phase. We post sale updates and make other promotional posts on Facebook, et. al., and now we are boosting posts and have opened a Facebook store. Unfortunately, we haven't really seen any good quality traffic from any of this. We get a few sales here and there, but not much.

I'm going to look into the contest idea. The problem is that to really test it we would have to give something pretty expensive away. I wouldn't mind that so much if we had been seeing a good ROI on Facebook. Ultimately, I've got to get more quality subscribers on my newsletter whether it's through Facebook or any social media outlet.

Ten years ago when we started this company, all you had to do was build a good site with some good content, get a few links back to your store, and you could rank well and make a lot of money. Now this is all so huge and spread out that it is overwhelming. Nothing favors the little guy anymore. I work twice as hard and make less money.

Mike