Volusion forced loading of Google Analytics script - Ecommerce Forums

Thread: Volusion forced loading of Google Analytics script

Volusion forced loading of Google Analytics script

I was doing some work on another site over the weekend and noticed that the site was loading ga.js from Google automatically on page load and it is placed in the <head> of our pages. I can swear that it wasn't there the other day. In any case I don't know why Volusion feels they need to force this on us. What if we don't want to run any analytics? What if we don't want to place it in the <head> What if we don't want to use that code at all. Have the Volusion Devs truly lost there mind.

Do they think we are incapable of doing this ourselves?

I haven't found a way to toggle it off in the admin so far.

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
        var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www.");
        document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));
    </script>
    Last edited by Marc_NY; 11-03-2014 at 05:33 AM.

Yes I see it in mine as well now without any account info inserted. What effect does this have if we already have manually put it in there and does that pose a problem?

There should be zero impact on your Analytics themselves. Its just an annoyance that this is on our templates now.

Why force load it? What if we don't want to load it in the <head>? Just angers me that they have to force shit on us like we are some morons that cannot do stuff ourselves.

My guess is Volusion wants to make it easier to install Google Analytics for end users.

Unfortunately they forgot about the customers that don't want Google Analytics, or have it already installed. Not to mention those that have hit installed and customized...

I am not sure if it was always there, but I have seen there is a config variable called "Google Analytics Tracking ID"
    I am guessing that entering your ID in there would automatically push it through to the new code V have added to the head.

No that is for use in mobile.

They've actually been doing this for a long time.

Doing what for a long time?

I checked Wayback and it wasn't there SEPT 7 2014 on one site but was there on OCT 28th 2014 on another site so somewhere between that time they forced it upon us without our knowledge.
    Last edited by Marc_NY; 11-04-2014 at 04:50 AM.

No, they havent been doing this for a long time. It is a recent addition

I looked at my template and now am confused... I have several entries and neither looks like Marc's script:

1) - I think I put this here myself some time ago (I x'd out the UA number for this paste), in the Head area:

<!-- Google Universal Analytics Code -->
    <script>
    (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
    (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
    m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
    })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-xxxxx', 'modernherbshop.com');
    ga('send', 'pageview');
    </script>

2) in the body and not sure where this came from:

<!-- BEGIN Google Analytics Transaction Code -->
    <script src="/v/vspfiles/assets/js/google-volusion-transaction.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
    <!-- END Google Analytics Transaction Code -->

Then I have even more scripts in the ROI_Javascripts article.

Is this bad??