Help with API programming - Ecommerce Forums

Thread: Help with API programming

Help with API programming

Hello,

We use a design program from HP that allows our clients to design custom wallpaper murals. The HP program calculates the price as part of the design program based on square footage of the project. What I would like to do is grab that price and transfer it to a Custom Wallpaper product in Volusion. Then our customers can continue to checkout using Volusion as usual.

HP has a good support staff for this product.

I don't know anything about API other than doing very basic importing/exporting and keeping GoDataFeed running.

Is there anyone in this group I can pay to get this setup for me? Or maybe there is a better way to do this.

Thanks.....I don't post much, but I always enjoy and learn a lot from this forum.

-Doug

You can update a product price price via the API. Not sure how that would help you as a custom product for one person would be different for another person. Unless you are creating new custom products for each customer. Could get a little unmanageable.

Hi Marc,
    Thanks for the reply. I don't believe we will sell more than 3-5 of this product per day. I was envisioning just one product...."custom wallpaper." Once the client is finished with the HP design process and the per square foot price is calculated on the HP site, then the customer is taken right to the "custom wallpaper" page (the HP software already does all of this). Then pull in the price from the HP program and make that the price for the "custom wallpaper."

Then the customer checks out as usual through Volusion.

The only way to get to that product page would be through the HP design software. There wouldn't be a link to custom wallpaper from the category page.

Is that still too messy? Most of our competitors have the final step "we will send you a quote." I was trying to automate that step so our customers could directly design and checkout without having contact with us.

Thanks for your help.

-Doug

Quote Originally Posted by signartetc View Post
    Is that still too messy? Most of our competitors have the final step "we will send you a quote." I was trying to automate that step so our customers could directly design and checkout without having contact with us.

Thanks for your help.

-Doug
    Piping in because you just pointed out one of my biggest online pet peeves. Great thinking and I hope you can get this done! I despise 'send me a quote' sites/products. Bail.

Doug,

You will have to have your custom design software first create on the fly a new product code along with all the other product data such as Product name, weight, price along with any other needed product parameters. This can be done by posting data to a custom ASP page (which will have to be created). When this data is sent to this page it creates the new product. Once created the software would then have to either have someway of adding that product to the cart directly or be able to direct the customer to this new product page where they could then add it to the cart.