Migration to BC - Ecommerce Forums
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Migration to BC

  1. #1

    Migration to BC

    For those who have migrated to BC from Volusion, what can get imported/migrated? Can customer records - i.e., addresses, passwords, order history?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Passwords now days can't be easily exported since they are now encrypted.

    Cart 2 Cart has a list of what they support in a migration from Volusion to Big Commerce.
    http://www.shopping-cart-migration.c...49-bigcommerce
    http://www.shopping-cart-migration.c...erce-migration

    Reviews seems to be a big one missing.
    Last edited by ritchey; 04-14-2015 at 02:40 PM.

  3. #3
    Thanks Ritchie -- BC provides migration service from Volusion - just wondered what they are able to migrate.

  4. #4
    Jumping ship, Birdsafe? ; )

  5. #5
    If you do not mind sharing, why are you thinking about moving?

  6. #6
    Been looking at other platforms for a while, since BC went with unlimited bandwidth -- even though that hasn't been an issue with Volusion for us -- it looks like we could cut monthly costs. Plus dealing with some quirky issues with V on customers who can't check out, and the increasing number who use mobile and have trouble -- and I'm not on a responsive design and read the handwriting that if you aren't on responsive with V your mobile experience is going to continue to degrade. The latest issue with Google Trusted Stores, which I think has been a big plus for us seems to have them dumbfounded -- though I'm not sure at this point BC is doing anything different.

    So if I am going to go to a new theme to get responsive technology, why not take the extra step and look into something that might improve things and lower costs? The migration will be the tipping point, not sure I want customers to lose Order History and such in the transition. BC is most attractive because you can duplicate the URLs and not lose traffic (hopefully).

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdsafe View Post
    Been looking at other platforms for a while, since BC went with unlimited bandwidth -- even though that hasn't been an issue with Volusion for us -- it looks like we could cut monthly costs. Plus dealing with some quirky issues with V on customers who can't check out, and the increasing number who use mobile and have trouble -- and I'm not on a responsive design and read the handwriting that if you aren't on responsive with V your mobile experience is going to continue to degrade. The latest issue with Google Trusted Stores, which I think has been a big plus for us seems to have them dumbfounded -- though I'm not sure at this point BC is doing anything different.

    So if I am going to go to a new theme to get responsive technology, why not take the extra step and look into something that might improve things and lower costs? The migration will be the tipping point, not sure I want customers to lose Order History and such in the transition. BC is most attractive because you can duplicate the URLs and not lose traffic (hopefully).
    I went through BC (rather than Cart2Cart) to migrate my store over only to later find out that BC goes through Cart2Cart to get this done. Honestly it was a messy process but to be fair, I do have a lot of child products, color swatches and subcategories.

    I originally looked to move over to BC because of their new advanced reporting tools but that's been pushed into their Enterprise Plans.

    Midway through considering BC, they had a massive data center disruption and I was unable to access my store for 3 days (some people as many as 5 days).

    Now I see that they've released new plans and only offer an SLA on their Enterprise Plan.

    Long story short, I've moved on to considering Shopify BUT although they have some beautiful designs there are some major concerns here as well (most notably their shared SSL certs and re-directing during checkout).

  8. #8
    Surprising...

    >they had a massive data center disruption and I was unable to access my store for 3 days (some people as many as 5 days).

    Interesting:
    http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/volusion.com.html

    http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/bigcommerce.com.html

    http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/shopify.com.html

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by ritchey View Post
    Surprising...

    >they had a massive data center disruption and I was unable to access my store for 3 days (some people as many as 5 days).

    Interesting:
    http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/volusion.com.html

    http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/bigcommerce.com.html

    http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/shopify.com.html
    Hi Ritchey, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. To be clear, BigCommerce.com wasn't down, however, many of their merchants sites were... including mine (although my site isn't live yet anyways).

    I tried calling several times but couldn't get through during the disruption (I'm sure their phones were blowing up) and their LiveChat was down as well. I was only staying updated by following their Facebook and Twitter posts.

    You can read more about it here:
    http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y15/m04/i07/s03
    http://www.crn.com.au/News/402665,ib...er-outage.aspx
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ecommerce/co...day_of_system/

    They were quick to offer a refund when I asked, although I haven't cancelled my service with them just yet.

  10. #10
    At least BigCommerce owned up. That is something that Volusion would never do as they sweep things under the rug.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H. View Post
    At least BigCommerce owned up. That is something that Volusion would never do as they sweep things under the rug.
    This is true, although while I have my frustrations with Volusion and bandwidth charges here and there, I've never had my site go down for 3-5 days. That would be catastrophic for our business. They are also generally pretty easy to get ahold of. I've never had an instance where I simply COULD NOT reach them as I did with BC.

    Mostly it seems that BC pointed the finger at IBM and the accountability they took was "our bad for trusting IBM".

    Seeing that they just moved their SLA into the Enterprise only plan this makes me wonder a lot about what their plans are moving forward. I wonder if they've grown so much that they weren't prepared for the data load... It also makes me wonder a lot about the "Unlimited Bandwidth" business model, although I'm checking into that with Shopify now as well.

    Ultimately it may be time to go Magento but I don't think I'm IT savvy enough to manage that.

  12. #12
    Thanks for the details. This thread is the first time I have heard of downtime at Big Commerce. Almost everything else I have read has been very positive. I have heard they are not releasing new features as fast as they used too.

    >Hi Ritchey, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. To be clear, BigCommerce.com wasn't down, however, many of their >merchants sites were... including mine (although my site isn't live yet anyways).

Similar Threads

  1. Migration away from Volusion - Best alternatives?
    By ClarenceRadioRobot in forum Volusion News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-07-2014, 03:27 AM
  2. 3dCart Could Be More Migration Friendly
    By Rick H. in forum Site Performance
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 06-06-2013, 01:02 PM
  3. 3D Cart's Migration Special is Awesome
    By deanp in forum Ecommerce Industry
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-09-2013, 11:54 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •