Paying $4,000 to Volusion for This - Ecommerce Forums

Thread: Paying $4,000 to Volusion for This

Angry Paying $4,000 to Volusion for This

Um, Volusion responsive theme owners, check your templates and CSS please.

I have a client that just paid Volusion ~$4,000 to have her legacy design recoded into a responsive HTML 5 template. Read that again.

This is the product Volusion delivered:

volusion-css.jpg

If you are a CSS virgin and this means nothing to you, take a look at the CSS used on a free 3dcart template:

3dcart-css.jpg

She asks me to please change the color of the product price, and I'm like...

cat-gasp.jpg

And that's just the CSS. Look at the gems they left in the template file:

volusion-hello-template.jpg

Mistakes are expected, forgivable, made by professional people every day, and I don't think people should hang for them. But this is not a mistake made by a professional team, this is slop made by rookies who don't care about your business, your code, or even about how your code reflects their business. This is the worst thing I have ever seen come out of the Volusion brand. The worst.

The stuff left in is unforgivable when paying $4,000 for services.

Regarding the code formatting without separate lines, isn't that how it comes out when minified for enhancing speed? Makes updates more challenging. Is there a code 'expander' for minified code maybe?

No, that is the code displayed in Admin > Design > Live File Editor, way before minification. In fact, below all that mess toward the end of the CSS file there are several lines that are spaced legibly - maybe they copied those lines from WordPress. No professional gets their code published when it looks like a wall of text.

It was literally unbelievable; I opened the page in 3 different browsers thinking it was a plugin or rendering issue on my end, and not that it was the product of professional codemanship.

My understanding is that the 'wall of text' is an element of minification. Removing all of the line breaks and indentations makes it faster for bots to crawl and I think browsers to download.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mini...ih=676#imgrc=_

Well, somebody mucked this up. The paid 'Royal' template looks like that mess via FTP download, but appears fine in the file editor. I guess the coder didn't know how to implement properly? My nigh 4k would be making a phone call.

Still combing through my template to dump the other stuff... I think I have most of it gone now.
    Last edited by GGG; 06-15-2015 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KKS View Post
    My understanding is that the 'wall of text' is an element of minification...
    Right, but minification exists because you can't work with minified code, which is why you don't sell someone minified code.

This is what I think they did: They copied the CSS from an existing template - probably and stupidly doing so by copying minified code - and pasted it. Then they pasted in the client's unique CSS below that; this unique code was probably written in something that does space out CSS properly, like Dreamweaver or Notepad++.

So that's 268,921 characters total, 1.6% of which (4,300 characters) was written specifically for the client.

Everyone does this - use a template as a starting point and then change it based on client needs. It's not bad business or misleading, but you're supposed to wipe and flush the toilet afterward. That way no one can give shit about charging $4,000 for something that was 98.4% complete before you even started it!

What is bad business is the finished product, which is unusable and sloppy. And the "Hello World Lorem ipsum" bit... I'd write that on the project manager's pink slip. That employee won't be missed.
    Last edited by deanp; 06-15-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deanp View Post
    Right, but minification exists because you can't work with minified code, which is why you don't sell someone minified code.
    I agree that they shouldn't have delivered the code to the client as a wall of text.

The Hello World mess left behind is inexcusable for that bill.

Dean,
    What is the URL for the Volusion-designed site? I'm curious to see how it compares with other responsive sites I've seen, many of which have been done cheaper, faster and with less issues.

Thanks,
    Marc

For a Custom Design a US based team charging $4,000 makes sense. If you think of basically 40 hours at $100 per hour charge rate.

Rough SWAG on Volusion's Cost:

Sales & Marketing Hours: 5 hours (not every customer contact buys)
    Design Time: 4 hours (talking to customer, mock up, customer approval)
    Programming Time: 24 hours
    QA Time: 2 hour
    Changes: 5 hours

Volusion's responsive site I have heard takes a lot more programming time than a regular template site. Your basically designing three views / sites, desktop, tablet, and mobile.

Using an overseas team would bring down the cost tremendously.

And this assumes Volusion is doing proper programming, vs. doing the slash and burn job done above.
    Last edited by ritchey; 06-17-2015 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning2000 View Post
    Dean,
    What is the URL for the Volusion-designed site? I'm curious to see how it compares with other responsive sites I've seen, many of which have been done cheaper, faster and with less issues.

Thanks,
    Marc
    I, too, would be interested in seeing the site if you wouldn't mind messaging it over to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning2000 View Post
    Dean,
    What is the URL for the Volusion-designed site?
    I can share that in a PM; you're welcome to message me.

@Ritchey - Volusion ripped off a live site with minified CSS. That definitely didn't take 40 hours, and it's definitely not worth $100 an hour. >