Multiple Store Inventory - Ecommerce Forums
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Multiple Store Inventory

  1. #1

    Multiple Store Inventory

    I know this has been an issue with Volusion and I've seen posts about it in the past, but just wanted to see if there's been anything lately that can help. We currently are running two separate Volusion stores selling the exact same products. Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle keeping the inventory correct? I really only need the inventory to be correct in one store, and at one or two times a week.

    I've heard about doing it through a CSV file, but I don't really understand how that would work. If, say, Store A sells 10 Widgets, and Store B sells 2 Widgets, how would I get one to be at -12? I can download Inventory CSV from Store 2 and upload it to Store 1 but that would just change Store 1 inventory from -10 to -2. I feel like I'm missing something blatantly obvious. But that's why I'm asking here.

    Or wondering if anyone else had any other ideas on how to keep up with inventory.


    Thanks
    Last edited by fraby; 07-08-2015 at 01:42 PM.

  2. #2
    Been on my wishlist for years now...

    Most people will suggest stone edge (if that's even their company name anymore), we tried it a bit ago and found it clunky and convoluted for what we needed, also $$$, it might be better now, but we haven't looked back at it.

    Hopefully if V ever decides to use the REST API, we will be able to use many more third party solutions.... (don't hold your breath).

  3. #3
    If you think of it in that respect then it is not going to work as it should.

    The way it would work is assuming both stores start out with the same inventory quantities and one store would/should act as a "master" and the second a "slave". The master is where you would receive items and make adjustments, etc and then sync it to the slave. So when you receive a PO or adjust inventory levels in the master you would somehow "to be written" have a script run which sync's the new inventory from the PO or other adjustment over to the slave. This would be near instant from the time the inventory was updated on the master. Probably like a few seconds in reality.

    From an customers ordering perspective, an order from the slave or master for that matter would runs a server side script which would get each item in the order and take the new quantity of the item and sync's it with the other store. So now the other store has the new inventory level. All this again would be near instant.

    This is about as simple as I can explain it so even a Grandma can understand it but make no mistake, it is not a simple task to write, it is quite involved and would be a considerable undertaking.

    Sorry, no freebies here.


    Quote Originally Posted by fraby View Post
    I know this has been an issue with Volusion and I've seen posts about it in the past, but just wanted to see if there's been anything lately that can help. We currently are running two separate Volusion stores selling the exact same products. Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle keeping the inventory correct? I really only need the inventory to be correct in one store, and at one or two times a week.

    I've heard about doing it through a CSV file, but I don't really understand how that would work. If, say, Store A sells 10 Widgets, and Store B sells 2 Widgets, how would I get one to be at -12? I can download Inventory CSV from Store 2 and upload it to Store 1 but that would just change Store 1 inventory from -10 to -2. I feel like I'm missing something blatantly obvious. But that's why I'm asking here.

    Or wondering if anyone else had any other ideas on how to keep up with inventory.


    Thanks

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBeauandBelle View Post
    Hopefully if V ever decides to use the REST API, we will be able to use many more third party solutions.... (don't hold your breath).
    You will never be able to do that with there new API. The new API is useless for the most part.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc_NY View Post
    This is about as simple as I can explain it so even a Grandma can understand it
    GASP! Never... ever... never... insult my client base. Obviously, you have not yet recognized my absolute brilliance in non-coding issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc_NY View Post
    You will never be able to do that with there new API. The new API is useless for the most part.
    I thought Mozu was using the new API? How are they able to pull off a multi-store inventory synch using one catalog? Or are they failing miserably?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    I thought Mozu was using the new API? How are they able to pull off a multi-store inventory synch using one catalog? Or are they failing miserably?
    Backend at server

  7. #7
    Marc, that sounds very similar to what we were doing for the last year. I paid a company to run a script every time an order came through on one of the two stores, that would send the inventory information over to a separate database they were hosting. So this separate database was basically my Master inventory. Anytime that inventory was updated it would push that information back to both of the stores. So when I had to manual edit my inventory I would have to use that database. The only problem with that is that the API would miss and order every once in awhile. The company told me that it was probably because the customer would close the OrderFinished page too quickly. So, they put in a command that would run every night at midnight to update any orders that it missed during the day, and then update the inventory for those missed orders. I ended up just deleting the scripts and the database recently though because I couldn't account for those missing orders during the day if I needed to count our inventory.

    I don't know much about the API and programming side of things so this may sound a little dumbed down.

  8. #8

  9. #9
    Ahhh, I didn't think of looking in the API Programming section for this topic. Thanks

  10. #10
    Stone Edge is now called Monsoon Commerce. Price now I think is $10K. Maintenance about $1K a year.

    If you have a large operation, it will replace a person through the time saved. It does bar codes, ordering, drop shipping, etc. It's amazing what it does. It needs a techie to implement. The latest version has pull down menus etc.

    I bought a copy, but other things came up so it never fully got implemented. I am going to investigate selling it, hopefully for $5K including two scanners and 5 copies of MS Access. PM me if your interested.

    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBeauandBelle View Post
    Been on my wishlist for years now...

    Most people will suggest stone edge (if that's even their company name anymore), we tried it a bit ago and found it clunky and convoluted for what we needed, also $$$, it might be better now, but we haven't looked back at it.

    Hopefully if V ever decides to use the REST API, we will be able to use many more third party solutions.... (don't hold your breath).

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by ritchey View Post
    Stone Edge is now called Monsoon Commerce. Price now I think is $10K. Maintenance about $1K a year.
    Support plans are tiered now. $1,300, $2,800 and $6,000 a year.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by OHC View Post
    Support plans are tiered now. $1,300, $2,800 and $6,000 a year.
    Do you have any experience with them?

Similar Threads

  1. Multiple Gift Certificates with odd amounts?
    By bpanders in forum Site Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2014, 02:13 PM
  2. Multiple Warehouses for the same product code
    By psaad in forum Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-19-2012, 02:31 PM
  3. Managing inventory with multiple volusion stores.
    By CarlWister in forum Inventory/Order Management
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-03-2012, 06:06 AM
  4. Multiple H1 Tags
    By AWCthreads in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-24-2012, 08:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •