Child products, discontinued items, and feed management for SEO - Ecommerce Forums

Thread: Child products, discontinued items, and feed management for SEO

Child products, discontinued items, and feed management for SEO

I'm going to remove thousands of sku's from my store. While the SEO value is very high to keep items as inactive, managing feeds is a nightmare.
    I have regular products and then some parent products with child products; Parent products, discontinued products and discontinued child products cannot go in any feed. Does anyone have suggestions to automate which products feed and which don't? I'm open to using a 3rd party feed supplier, but right now I export and use an excel schema that I had created. It still requires manual work and some expertise. I want something that anybody can be trained to do.

If not, how bad do you think it would be to just delete them?
    I did a 301 redirect test on a small group and Google didn't seem to like it. Plus, I use SEO friendly URL's in my feed. To export/modify/import a large group to redirect, Volusion doesn't supply that URL.

Why not simply create a SQL query that gives you exactly what you need and cut out all the in between BS.

I did a similar project which relies on a custom SQL query to generate data for the Google Review feed in XML but a CSV could also be generated.

http://www.convergent7.com/forum/vol...records-3.html

Thanks, that's ideal. I outsource custom SQL & API work- feel free to contact me if you can help me to create better Google/other feeds. Thanks