Abandonned Cart Retention Letter - Ecommerce Forums

Thread: Abandonned Cart Retention Letter

Abandonned Cart Retention Letter

Has anyone else noticed that there is now an Abandoned Cart Retention letter embedded in the Abandoned Cart feature. Has this already been enabled and incorporates our Company logo or is this something we have to build out? The preview function is a bit lacking and I, for one, would like to get this up and running as quickly as possible to increase revenue.

Marc

It uses your company logo.

I've been using it for a while. The main thing I do not like is that there is a 12-hour period before you can send the letters out. Also, there is no way to tell by looking whether the person has actually placed an order (so you would then not want to send out a letter). You have to go to your orders page and do a search to verify.
    OTOH, I can pick and choose who I want to send to and avoid the obvious fake emails and worthless carts.
    Given that it is free and you can customize the letter itself, and my return is > 20%, it is worth the hassle. I've tried some of the automated websites, but for me the cost is not justified.

I spoke to V and they said much the same thing. Is there a reason why there is a 12-hour delay before you can send out the retention letter? I seem to recall getting these types of letters within minutes of leaving a site after abandoning a cart. Also, apparently it must be a bona fide customer that has shopped with you before, not simply a cart left by an anonymous shopper. This seems strange as well, particularly if you cannot reach out to the customer for a half a day to tempt them back. On the plus side, you can offer the customer say a baited discount to get them to complete their transaction with you, which no one else sees.

Again, this seems like a half-hearted venture just to say they have this feature to would-be merchants without making it as robust as possible, much like the eBay integration. Its great that its free, but if isnt truly usable within a bankable period, what good is it to the average merchant?

Marc

I have gone back and forth with this one.. I tried doing it manually for a while but cross-referencing to ensure there wasn't an order placed and they used a different PC, etc.... currently trying out AutoResponder Max but not liking that interface too much more...

Yup, like Lightening said, a half-hearted venture. It is fine for small businesses. I spend about 10-15 min per day manually checking and then sending out the letters. Not sure why the 12 hours wait.
    I have noticed that the time line does not appear to be accurate. the Last Modified time stamp does not appear to truly reflect the time the user was actually doing anything. I have to backtrack and look at entries previous to the one's I marked as abandoned, because sometimes I find carts that I did not send a letter to- ones that weren't there the last time I looked... not ones that I missed!
    I still prefer this to paying.

I used autoresponder max for a couple of months. The cost was far too high for the return that I got (about 1/2 what I get doing it manually), believe it or not. This company has great ideas that were implemented poorly. OK, that was about 2 years ago. Perhaps they have improved since then. But at, I think it was $99/month... definitely way too costly for me.

FYI I just found out there is a config variable to change the abandoned cart retention letter waiting period!

From this doc: https://support.volusion.com/hc/en-u...ned-Live-Carts

By default, a cart must be abandoned for 12 hours before the Send Retention Email link will appear. If you want the option to send retention emails sooner, you can update the Retention Email Waiting Period in Hours config variable. To do so, go to Settings > Config Variables and perform a search with the term "retention" in the Name field. Modify the numerical value in the field next to Retention Email Waiting Period in Hours and save.

They also include code for deleting old carts. This example says delete all carts > 2 days old.
    delete from cartidlog where lastmodified < DATEADD(day,DATEDIFF(day,0,GETDATE())-2,0)

I have no idea when this was added, but am glad it is there. Wish they would have told me about it though!

Does anyone have code that can be added to the abandoned cart letter that will display the contents of the cart in the letter, rather than just providing a link to your cart?

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieF View Post
    Does anyone have code that can be added to the abandoned cart letter that will display the contents of the cart in the letter, rather than just providing a link to your cart?
    Just use www.vextras.com - this solves all the problems listed above and is cheap.

I've been using vextras for a year now... really like them a lot. dmoore... did you notice that you were replying to a post made in 2015? Are you just catching up or trying to revive this forum? hooray!

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieF View Post
    I've been using vextras for a year now... really like them a lot. dmoore... did you notice that you were replying to a post made in 2015? Are you just catching up or trying to revive this forum? hooray!
    No, I still use this forum to answer questions and do some unique things.....