Cart Timer - Ecommerce Forums

Thread: Cart Timer

Cart Timer

Hi there. New here. Trying to help an acquaintance with her Volusion site. She runs some specials with her customers where the items get posted at a certain time, and her customers come rushing in for the products. Well, her customers are finding that due to the swarm, they'll have items in the cart, and by the time they are ready to checkout, the item(s) is sold out.

So they have pushed for a cart timer. Once they put an item in the cart, it is reserved. After a set period of time, the cart can expire, but until then, the item is theirs until they checkout.

I know this option is available in other systems, but doesn't appear to be available in Volusion. Does anyone know of an option to make this happen? A Volusion App or add-on that works some magic? Some custom code?

I'm comfortable with development and have some ideas, but hoping there is a better solution out there.

Right now, my idea is:
    • Capture the clicks of "Add to Cart" and script adjusts stock quantities immediately via API/SQL.
    • Create a separate database that houses the start times for cart's cartID.
    • Counter script running in the background to show a countdown timer to the user and maybe alert them when time is near or up.
    • Server script running that would run on a regular basis (every minute) to wipe out entries that have expired and return items to stock if applicable. (assume this will need to run via cron on another hose)
    • And then lastly, we'd capture the clicks of the final "Checkout" button so we could return the quantity back to stock and finalize the purchase. (would have to return the stock, so there is enough quantity to complete the order; basically just releasing the reserve so the items can be bought)

Open to ideas.

See these options for other systems:
    https://wisdmlabs.com/empty-cart-tim...mmerce-plugin/
    https://store.plumrocket.com/magento...extension.html

Wow... that sounds like a lot of work to me!

My 2 cents: fix the problem and not work-around the symptoms.

Get more stock so the item does not sell out so quickly; don't put on sale an item that you cannot afford to offer to everyone who wants it. (you risk pissing off people). It feels like a scam if I am told that a sale starts at 9am and is sold out at 9:15am.

Add text to the "above the price" field that states that items placed in your shopping cart are not reserved until you are actually checking out.

The best example of this would probably be Amazon's "Lightning Deals" where you can actually reserve an item in the cart and it will tell you that you have "X minutes" to checkout or it moves onto the next person.

I have nothing to offer in regards to this, if I had any idea I certainly would not be giving it away for free on here.

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieF View Post
    Wow... that sounds like a lot of work to me!

My 2 cents: fix the problem and not work-around the symptoms.

Get more stock so the item does not sell out so quickly; don't put on sale an item that you cannot afford to offer to everyone who wants it. (you risk pissing off people). It feels like a scam if I am told that a sale starts at 9am and is sold out at 9:15am.

Add text to the "above the price" field that states that items placed in your shopping cart are not reserved until you are actually checking out.
    Thanks for the response. I agree that it could be a lot of work. Without diving into details of the site/store in question, such a "fix" as you propose is not viable. Just think quantity limited. And since the customers already know how it works now, the banner is not needed. They've just been pushing for the timer solution. Since shopping cart timers are pretty common, was hoping to find something for Volusion.

Think of it like Black Friday. You have 20 TV sets that people really want at a deal they can't pass up. If 300 people flood in, and I stick one of those TVs in my cart, I don't have to worry about it getting taken out of my cart when I get to the checkout counter. Of course, when it comes to online service, I still want to be sure that TV isn't stuck in my customer's cart forever. So I need a timer to expire their cart and return the TV to stock.

Quote Originally Posted by demitrius View Post
    The best example of this would probably be Amazon's "Lightning Deals" where you can actually reserve an item in the cart and it will tell you that you have "X minutes" to checkout or it moves onto the next person.

I have nothing to offer in regards to this, if I had any idea I certainly would not be giving it away for free on here.
    Thanks for the response. That is a valid example. As for the free versus cost, the site owner is willing to pay for the feature. I'm just trying to find out if their is a mod already out there to make it happen. She wants it so badly (and some other features), she's willing to move away from Volusion.