Reaching out to new Volusion customers for this forum - Ecommerce Forums

Thread: Reaching out to new Volusion customers for this forum

Reaching out to new Volusion customers for this forum

Does anyone (Erik?) know how to reach out to current Volusion customers and tell them about this forum? Seems that there are fewer and fewer people reading it... most of the "old-timers" have left Volusion and newbies are finding this forum more by accident.

I hate to see this forum become extinct. There used to be a ton of good information sharing.

Plus, it's no fun to vent about V frustrations where there is no one around to read it and comment.

I think that's another one of the reasons why I'll be movin on in early 2018. If Volusion had faith in their platform and welcomed valid criticism, they would have no trouble hosting their own forum instead of making its users go elsewhere. I think Shopify has a vibrant forum where users exchange ideas and thoughts. Here, it just seems as if the clientele are being forced to walk the plank one-by-one until the decks are cleared.

Marc

It certainly appears that way if you look at this forum. However, Volusion does seem to be holding its own as an e-commerce platform with regards to number of users.
    I'm still here because it's still really hard for me to make the jump with regards to having to learn an entirely new back end (and moving from one set of problems to another.)

Been working on making the jump for years, finally getting it done by the end of this year.
    Best thing to do would be to bid PPC on the name Volusion Forum, and that might bring people.

oxx155... where are you jumping too? I'd be interested to know how the process is going and your perceived pros and cons.
    Good luck with the switch. We will miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieF View Post
    oxx155... where are you jumping too? I'd be interested to know how the process is going and your perceived pros and cons.
    Good luck with the switch. We will miss you.
    Moving to Magento. Spent a lot of time looking at Miva, BigCommerce, Interspire, and others.
    Magento just has the support of a big company, but also the ability to be fully customizable with a third party network that rivals any other.
    We've actually been working on moving for 4 years, but couldn't find the software we wanted, we finally finished getting it developed for us and feel this move will help us double our business in the next 2 years.
    The Mobile version alone is enough to make me jump ship.
    I just don't see Volusion ever changing as long as it has the same owners. They are all about money and not about customers. They also continue to put out updates that cause mass problems, their QualityCheck has remained the same even though they claim to have changed things (even managers).
    I know it seems impossible to move, but Volusion is a sinking ship and you don't want your website to go down with it.
    Just my two cents

Do we have any numbers on how many sites Volusion is hosting now compared to a few years ago ??

Wonder if some "association" out there would monitory the different shopping cart providers. This could give some reality on the table not just gut feelings ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Do we have any numbers on how many sites Volusion is hosting now compared to a few years ago ??

Wonder if some "association" out there would monitory the different shopping cart providers. This could give some reality on the table not just gut feelings ;-)
    I feel this is their issue, it's not about the number of sites on the platform but the quality of sites. Everyone wants a website for their business large or small, there could be thousands of mom and pop shops selling widgets at their local flea market that make a website because they "have to" in this day and age. Most of these users would not even notice the issues in the volusion platform and never complain or look to move away. The sites that are trying to grow their online sales are the ones that run into the problems and are forced to find workarounds or move to a platform that allows them to do what is needed. Most custom coding I have seen people looking for on these forums are ways to get around V's systems (or lack there of).

Most of their built in features are half done and feel like they are there only to so they can say "Look what I can do" to attract people, half of which will never even use them (or complain when they realize they don't work)

So while number of sites hosted on each platform would be a nice number to see, it doesn't give you any info other then which companies salespeople are better at closing.

I would be more interested in the size of all their support and development teams.

As far as reaching out to find new users, Doing a google search for Volusion Fourms, this site is the first three non paid results, ranking better then V's own site. (funny that V is the second paid result, Shopify beats them out in ppc for their own branded search). So any V user that runs into an issue that they are looking to fix themselves will likely find it rather easily without having to go look for them.
    Last edited by Dan2357; 09-15-2017 at 08:12 AM.

I too think Volusion is a slowly sinking ship, as far as my enterprise is concerned. Not sure I need some of the fancy workarounds some web owners need. I just want a company that rolls out features on a regular basis that are well thought out and executed so they are useful and not some selling point on their feature list to entice new customers.

Not sure if I need something as robust as Magento. Right now, I'm leaning towards Shopify as a solution, but dont have the time or skillset to move over right now. I'm looking at a January or February migration once I play around with their trial site and come up with a list of questions that need to be answered. QERetail already quoted me a price to migrate to Shopify and I plan to lurk in their forums to see how customers react to Shopify's features and whether the solution responds in a timely manner.

For some reason, Volusion lost its way over the last few years, beginning when they closed down their forum. To me, that said volumes about how they want to control the tenor and tone of its customers in a public forum.

Marc

Volusions marketshare has shrunk. Big Commerce is now 2X their size. Shopify 4X. Shopify managed to go public. Everyone else has not yet.
    https://trends.builtwith.com/shop

Volusion does not seem to have grown, but not shrunk either from what I remember for number of users.
    https://trends.builtwith.com/shop/Volusion

Has anyone heard or read anything about Lemonstand or Prestashop?

I will be taking my time, but I am fed up with Volusion and now getting serious about leaving in spite of the learning curve, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by oxx155 View Post
    Moving to Magento. Spent a lot of time looking at Miva, BigCommerce, Interspire, and others.
    Magento just has the support of a big company, but also the ability to be fully customizable with a third party network that rivals any other.
    We've actually been working on moving for 4 years, but couldn't find the software we wanted, we finally finished getting it developed for us and feel this move will help us double our business in the next 2 years.
    The Mobile version alone is enough to make me jump ship.
    I just don't see Volusion ever changing as long as it has the same owners. They are all about money and not about customers. They also continue to put out updates that cause mass problems, their QualityCheck has remained the same even though they claim to have changed things (even managers).
    I know it seems impossible to move, but Volusion is a sinking ship and you don't want your website to go down with it.
    Just my two cents
    M1 or M2? We are on M1 at the moment, M2 just didn't seem stable enough to dedicate at the moment.

Can you PM your store? Would be interested in talking about what tools you might be using, what hurdles you had, and such.

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieF View Post
    Has anyone heard or read anything about Lemonstand or Prestashop?

I will be taking my time, but I am fed up with Volusion and now getting serious about leaving in spite of the learning curve, etc.
    Melanie;

Those are the 2 platforms we are exploring, LemonStand and Prestashop. They both seem to have good reviews. A lot depends on your needs. LemonStand is SAAS based and we would not have to work about hosting, updating, security, etc. Prestashop is open source so you will have to find hosting, update, etc.

Magento is too much for us and I would rather not use Shopify. For us, a SAAS model may be best so we can focus on marketing and leave the technology to someone else. To me, LemonStand seems like it is on the rise. It seems really customizable but since it is newer it might be missing some integrations ( I have to investigate this more). One big plus is that we can sell subscriptions or standalone sales on the same platform at the same time.

I am open to V2 but wish Volusion would publish a timeline so we had an idea when V2 will be available.

Good luck in your research.

Paul

Thanks for the info, Paul. Good luck to you and keep us updated on which solution you choose.

I also was happy with waiting for V2, but with all the current checkout issues, I don't see V2 being of much advantage. If you can't check out, it doesn't much matter that you have a beautiful, easy to use cart.