New Google Search Console Warning about Robots.txt - Ecommerce Forums

Thread: New Google Search Console Warning about Robots.txt

New Google Search Console Warning about Robots.txt

We just got what seems like an odd warning email from Google Search Console:

Search Console has identified that your site is affected by 1 new Index coverage related issue. This means that Index coverage may be negatively affected in Google Search results. We encourage you to fix this issue.

New issue found: Indexed, though blocked by robots.txt
    When I click on the "Fix Index Coverage Issues" button, it takes me into GSC and shows a ton of URLs for ShoppingCart.asp and Emailafriend.asp. These have always been blocked by our robots.txt because, ostensibly, the number of potential combinations is almost infinite and it doesn't target specific pages and unique content on our website.

So, is Google now wanting to index these items, or are they just too stupid to see that this is NOT what they want to index. If they do want it, then what about the many other Volusion "pages" like wishlist.asp? This whole thing is very strange.

Mike

The complexity of Google search, adwords, etc is so far beyond me these days, that I have nearly ceased reading their emails. I gave up trying to keep up, about 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
    We just got what seems like an odd warning email from Google Search Console:

When I click on the "Fix Index Coverage Issues" button, it takes me into GSC and shows a ton of URLs for ShoppingCart.asp and Emailafriend.asp. These have always been blocked by our robots.txt because, ostensibly, the number of potential combinations is almost infinite and it doesn't target specific pages and unique content on our website.

So, is Google now wanting to index these items, or are they just too stupid to see that this is NOT what they want to index. If they do want it, then what about the many other Volusion "pages" like wishlist.asp? This whole thing is very strange.

Mike
    Same here. I don't think I'm going to do anything about it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by reigny View Post
    Same here. I don't think I'm going to do anything about it right now.
    Okay, I'll hold off for now and see what other notifications we get.