Successful Online Merchants Case Studies - Ecommerce Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Successful Online Merchants Case Studies

Successful Online Merchants Case Studies

We continuously work with our merchants on Case Studies to highlight their success as an internet retailer. Hopefully these can help other store owners with tips that they can implement to improve their online stores.

Here is our most recent one,

http://www.3dcart.com/pdf/3dcartCaseStudy-ReadyHeli.pdf
    Jimmy Rodriguez
    3dcart.com

Thank you for the info Jimmy. As you can probably tell from this forum, many of use are evaluating other options in comparison to Volusion. This is the benchmark we have.

DeanP
    I'm liking my 3DCart test store so far:

http://sandbox-deanp.3dcartstores.com/Big-Cats_c_1.html

Case Study on a successful merchant and their experience migrating to 3dcart.

We just posted a new case study to the client spotlight section of our site at
    http://blog.3dcart.com/scrappingcenter-case-study/
    Jimmy Rodriguez
    3dcart.com

And they both happened to have moved from Volusion :-)

Thanks so much for the articles.
    I would love to know more about their search engine rank, conversion rate and average amount of orders after the change over. Did they lose traffic? Did conversion rate improve? Do you have guidelines to help with these issues?

On another subject. After what has happened with our current provider I am very reluctant to recommend another hosted platform to my boss. What are you doing in your organization to make sure as you expand that you do not fall into the same trap of growing too fast? We always felt like our current provider missed the point that we are really partners in business. So for example we need to know their update schedule for planning purposes.
    Last edited by gifty; 10-14-2012 at 06:33 PM.

3dCart does have a forum and there a couple of very active ex Volusion people on there. I have not seen the type of viatrol that was in the official Volusion forum. Their CEO also posts there, as well as other top management people including Jimmy.

The two ex Volusion I asked were overall very positive. SEO seems to be as good as Volusions - I wish 3dCart could do the same directory structure. One mentioned their orders after a transition were up 20%. The other said it just worked.

Quote Originally Posted by ritchey View Post
    And they both happened to have moved from Volusion :-)

Yes. And I am loving it!

Gifty, Scrapping Center was a new store for us so I dont have any specific data for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by gifty View Post
    Thanks so much for the articles.
    I would love to know more about their search engine rank, conversion rate and average amount of orders after the change over. Did they lose traffic? Did conversion rate improve? Do you have guidelines to help with these issues?
    This could be better explained by ex-V merchants that are now at 3dcart, like ritchey mentioned, there are a couple posts about this at the 3dcart forum

We do have many SEO tools in place, setting up the 301 redirects from the old URLs to the new ones is fundamental to this process. Same as updating your XML sitemap with GTS. In many cases merchants also redesign their sites when moving over, so the increase in conversion rates we noticed might not be necessarily due to the change in platform but to overall improvements on the websites.

Quote Originally Posted by gifty View Post
    On another subject. After what has happened with our current provider I am very reluctant to recommend another hosted platform to my boss. What are you doing in your organization to make sure as you expand that you do not fall into the same trap of growing too fast? We always felt like our current provider missed the point that we are really partners in business. So for example we need to know their update schedule for planning purposes.
    We have always been proud of the relationship we keep with 3dcart merchants, as you said, we're partners in business. Not sure if you can do this with your current provider but you can contact our CEO or anyone in our company directly and we'll be glad to have a conversation with you, either if it's to go over an issue or ideas to help you grow your business. We've been steadily growing for the past 12 years, and our goal is to improve the software and add new features that can help you sell more.
    Jimmy Rodriguez
    3dcart.com

Thanks for the great response. I appreciate it.

I have nothing but praise for my entire Volusion to 3D Cart transition experience.

Design was excellent. Support is knowledgeable, proactive, and eager to help - they routinely followed up with me to make sure my problems got fixed and that everything was set to go live.

The difference in speed was literally like night and day. One day we were with Volusion getting ~1200 ms response time, the next day we were with 3D Cart getting around 750 ms. Just like that. No magic, no misunderstanding - just a faster platform. Period.

(EDIT: Those numbers reflect tests all over the globe. US-based tests are lower, of course.)

response-time.jpg

Our traffic and order volume hasn't dipped at all, and the quantity of phone calls reporting checkout problems has dropped to a flat zero. I haven't had a call transferred to my desk in days.

Jimmy and his team really have their act together, and they're responsive to customers on the forums. None of this man-behind-the-curtain charade. It's just a great product produced and managed by great people.
    Last edited by deanp; 11-05-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Hi Dean,

I am really pleased that you have achieved such a streamlined transition. A brave move so close to Christmas and I am glad it has paid off for you. The certainly site does look fantastic.

Just a question are you still hosting on the Cloud?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    I can tell you that with Volusion we had to host all of our template images and tons of other stuff on Amazon, now with 3Dcart that seems to no longer be needed (atleast for now). Somehow we seem to be using less bandwidth, yet traffic and everything is pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    I can tell you that with Volusion we had to host all of our template images and tons of other stuff on Amazon, now with 3Dcart that seems to no longer be needed (atleast for now). Somehow we seem to be using less bandwidth, yet traffic and everything is pretty much the same.
    Ok thats interesting one thing that might help toward that I guess is if the admin is more efficient and uses less bandwidth. I know I seem to be forced to be unnecessarily going back and forth to the same pages whilst managing my site in the V admin. Keep us posted : )

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    Not at this time, no. I want to test 3D Cart's ability to serve out all of my content. Because 3D Cart's pricing and bandwidth allotment is so much better than Volusion, I'm not concerned with overage at this time. Depending on the performance and bandwidth use this first 30 days or so, I may end up offloading some content to CloudFront.