Force Secure Checkout - Ecommerce Forums
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Force Secure Checkout

  1. #1

    Question Force Secure Checkout

    Do I want this on or off for my store?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    DeanP
    Guest
    Assuming you're taking credit cards, yes, you definitely want that - so be sure to check that box. You may also want to force the secure shoppingcart.asp page and secure logins.

  3. #3
    And also make sure your navigation links are not using relative URLs but absolute URLs, otherwise if they are on a HTTPS page and they click on a relative URL you may end up with the "non-secure page" messages.
    Thanks,
    Erik Ellsworth
    CEO
    Convergent7
    Free SEO Analysis

  4. #4
    Thank you Dean. If I am allowing anonymous checkouts, does the secure login affect that?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by eellsworth View Post
    And also make sure your navigation links are not using relative URLs but absolute URLs, otherwise if they are on a HTTPS page and they click on a relative URL you may end up with the "non-secure page" messages.
    Thank you Erik. How do I make my navigation links absolute URLs?

  6. #6
    I looked at the Force Secure Logins and see this note:

    "This feature is enabled for all merchants which have an SSL installed and who's default.asp contain no hard coded source references to http URLS. This includes Google analytics, CSS and JavaScript references"

    My main menu is hard coded with http URLs. Does that mean my default.asp precludes forcing secure logins?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by KKS View Post
    I looked at the Force Secure Logins and see this note:

    "This feature is enabled for all merchants which have an SSL installed and who's default.asp contain no hard coded source references to http URLS. This includes Google analytics, CSS and JavaScript references"

    My main menu is hard coded with http URLs. Does that mean my default.asp precludes forcing secure logins?
    If your menu is hard-coded with absolute URLs then you're good to go. Easy to confirm...just go to the cart or checkout page (as long as it is HTTPS) and then click on your logo or other visible links and see if the HTTPS goes away.
    Thanks,
    Erik Ellsworth
    CEO
    Convergent7
    Free SEO Analysis

  8. #8

  9. #9
    DeanP
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eellsworth View Post
    ...if they are on a HTTPS page and they click on a relative URL you may end up with the "non-secure page" messages.
    I think you have that backwards. If you're on HTTPS, and click a relative URL, then you stay on HTTPS. If you click a static HTTP URL while on HTTPS, then you'll get the notice as you move from secure to non-secure.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanP View Post
    Assuming you're taking credit cards, yes, you definitely want that - so be sure to check that box. You may also want to force the secure shoppingcart.asp page and secure logins.
    I checked all 3 of those boxes in the variables and now when I log in, I get the message that there are un-secured elements on my page. Interestingly, even the Wells Fargo login page gives me this message in Firefox for Mac.

    How exactly should my menu and footer links be written? I have them all hard coded right now with http:// or https:// for links to login, cart, Facebook and so on.

  11. #11
    DeanP
    Guest
    I'd need to see your page, but it's most likely because you've got non-secure content hard-coded into your template somewhere. I wrote about identifying and fixing that here.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanP View Post
    I'd need to see your page, but it's most likely because you've got non-secure content hard-coded into your template somewhere. I wrote about identifying and fixing that here.
    I have that page in your blog bookmarked and meant to review it. Thank you for the reminder.

  13. #13
    DeanP
    Guest
    It's not overly technical, so I figure you can research the problem on your own with my post as a guide. After all, it's best to (learn to) be able to identify and fix that sort of problem on your own. But if it's something you're uncomfortable with doing, I'm happy to look at it for you. Just let me know.

Similar Threads

  1. Only secure content is displayed
    By shamieya in forum Store Design
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2012, 06:59 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 08:03 AM
  3. Show gift options during checkout - force on?
    By Phil in forum Setup & Configuration
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 12:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •