Bounce Rates - anyone else? - Ecommerce Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bounce Rates - anyone else?

Bounce Rates - anyone else?

For nearly 5 days, our bounce rates have been 10 to 20% higher than usual. In fact, never this high since we opened for business. I can't seem to find a cause/page/search term/browser...common denominator and few site changes. The rate is outrageously high whether direct, referral, or search.

Our site speed has actually improved, so I don't think this is the reason.

Anyone else seeing these kind of stats? Any suggestions as to how I should troubleshoot? Current rate is unacceptable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    For nearly 5 days, our bounce rates have been 10 to 20% higher than usual. In fact, never this high since we opened for business. I can't seem to find a cause/page/search term/browser...common denominator and few site changes. The rate is outrageously high whether direct, referral, or search.

Our site speed has actually improved, so I don't think this is the reason.

Anyone else seeing these kind of stats? Any suggestions as to how I should troubleshoot? Current rate is unacceptable.

Thanks
    Did you search by location? Any anomalies there?

Triple G...do you have a conversion funnel and how does it look lately compared to the past?
    Thanks,
    Erik Ellsworth
    CEO
    Convergent7
    Free SEO Analysis

Hi Erik,

No, I didn't search by location yet. That's my project today. No, I don't have a conversion funnel set up yet, but our overall conversion rate is way down from usual. We generally only see low conversions immediately prior to a holiday when people are browsing prior to returning to purchase...and never a high bounce rate. I also plan to do a browser check today to see if there's a site problem that I'm unaware of. I just can't seem to find a common denominator.

When compared to same time last year every single # is up, up, up...except time on site and bounce rate. High bounce rates are most definitely #s that we don't typically see and I'm perplexed. In some cases 28% higher...say what?! Ditto time on site. No massive changes to site design, keywords, etc. Spent time yesterday reading up on bounce rate, but couldn't find anything that might explain it.

Unless a combo of things like Pinterest bounces -given nature of pinning, keyword not provided from Google, mobile visits, location visits...however, we've been dealing with those factors for awhile now and never seen anything like this. Ever.

Whatever it is I need to figure it out stat. This is entirely unacceptable.

Just had a look at our stats and our bounce rate has not changed at all. Been at the same level we have seen for the past 6 months.
    Volusion refugee

Quote Originally Posted by Quadica View Post
    Just had a look at our stats and our bounce rate has not changed at all. Been at the same level we have seen for the past 6 months.
    Ouch! Now I'm really concerned.

Thanks for checking Quad.

Quad...just noticed your signature. LOL.

Spent last night checking location vs. bounce rate stats. I checked for anything over a 50% bounce & there was a large proportion of bounces that came from countries outside US. Not sure there's anyway to prevent this? Our GWT settings are set to U.S....and yes, the majority of those foreign visits came from Google.

I also did a test for all browsers. May be a problem with Chrome and warnings, but since I can't read French I have no idea what it's saying! Plus, I've asked members before to test for me in Chrome and I've always received a "looks ok to me" response. When I've tested on Chrome has come back fine. Beats the heck out of me.

On a side note, I found a thread that I posted in TOF - the old forum - sorry, I'm getting tired of typing it out all the time. It appears that I posted in August 2011 of a similar occurrence that lasted nearly a week...followed by a return to our usual bounce rate/time on site. Hoping like heck that's what's happening this time because I'm truly mystified. I can't fix what I can't figure out as a problem.

I had a look at our overall bounce rate stats for the top 50 countries by visits since Jan 1 and this is how it is currently breaking down:

USA - 35.9%
    Canada - 38.9%
    Average All Other Countries - 46.1%

These levels have been pretty stable going back 18 months. So for us at least it would appear that a 10% higher bounce rate is typical for international visitors.

By browser it breaks down like this:

Firefox - 42.6%
    Internet Explorer - 38.3%
    Chrome - 40.0%
    Safari - 51.3%

So not a lot of difference between the top 3 browsers. Not sure what is up with Safari. Will need to look into that.
    Volusion refugee

Could it be a knock on effect of the problems we had when volusion was down. I know on the 1st and 2nd my traffic died, google couldn't access any of my URLS and banned my products, and for about 3 days afterwards my site speed which is slow anyway was horrific which would increase bounces.

It really worries me that these performance issues happen and the effect this has on the quality perception google has of our sites.

In a recent vid google states that they don't use data like bounce rate from your google analytics to rank search results. I must be an old cynic as I am not convinced........

I'm definitely an old cynic...ha!

The 3rd week of June was the killer for us in terms of bounce rates. Still not quite back to 'normal' rate, but at least falling. Never did figure out why it happened and can't think of anything else to troubleshoot...

Would like to reach Quad's averages

I am suffering from bounce rate issues as well. Something changed about 10 days ago, and now I am seeing the worst sales ever.
    I have not been able to track the problem down, would love some advice if anyone else has seen it.

I have made the decision to jump ship and move to 3D cart, I can't take these issues with V any more.

Hey danglus,

Our bounce rates were returning to normal, but then started to skew again.

However, there's so much going on with Google right now that I don't know if I can blame Volusion for this. For customers used to seeing Google shopping I'm wondering if perhaps clicking on our links and not finding what they want? Or browsing more? If so, perhaps my bad...and not Volusion's. Or general search issues. Would love to know if others experiencing.

Odd that bounce rates are way up for pages that don't typically have a high bounce rate. I can't seem to get a handle on it.

Not that I'm ready to give V a free pass, of course!!

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    Hey danglus,

Our bounce rates were returning to normal, but then started to skew again.

However, there's so much going on with Google right now that I don't know if I can blame Volusion for this. For customers used to seeing Google shopping I'm wondering if perhaps clicking on our links and not finding what they want? Or browsing more? If so, perhaps my bad...and not Volusion's. Or general search issues. Would love to know if others experiencing.

Odd that bounce rates are way up for pages that don't typically have a high bounce rate. I can't seem to get a handle on it.

Not that I'm ready to give V a free pass, of course!!
    Its weird isn't it I wonder if the whole world is getting so conditioned to information overload on sites like pinterest where they skim thousands of images and products in minutes that people are just turning into goldfish with 3 second attention spans....I jest not this is evolution....

Go to GA and look at the number of people visiting your site using the various browsers. Then go to GWT and look at the page load times for the different browsers. Our data is inversely proportional. The browsers taking longer times to load a page are the browsers more frequently used on our site.

Pages are loading slowly and people are bouncing.

Quote Originally Posted by AWCthreads View Post
    Go to GA and look at the number of people visiting your site using the various browsers. Then go to GWT and look at the page load times for the different browsers. Our data is inversely proportional. The browsers taking longer times to load a page are the browsers more frequently used on our site.

Pages are loading slowly and people are bouncing.
    '

Yes, I have got sick of worrying about it. Yesterday I was using GWT and testing various things although my site appeared to be 'up' Google Webmaster tools was having difficulty accessing my site to produce in page analytics. I fear it was timing out.

I am seeing bizarre site page speed differentials in GWT ranging from 1.5 seconds to over 1 minute. I went to various independent on line site speed checkers and got a range of similar bizarre results with no consistency. It is not like one page consistently takes a minute to load in one test it may be 1.5 secs in another 1 min.

I do not know if this is some freak of V's CDN as I am based in UK?? Perhaps they have got things up and running but are just using a minimal amount of servers which is impacting page load time I do not profess to understand what is causing this I just understand it is not good and I agree with AWC that this will be impacting bounce rate.