Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Disable CDN Consensus?

Disable CDN Consensus?

So what's the consensus on the CDN? Keep it enabled or disabled?

If we are not accruing bandwidth overage fees, is it okay to keep it enabled or is it slowing down page load times?

It was supposed to improve load times, but is it doing the opposite?

We have disabled it because we were seeing that all of the photos were not loading on the category pages. Sometimes they would eventually load. In other cases they would not load at all. I decided to turn it off when it happened on our site and then even the sites in the Volusion Showcase. I also have a list of Volusion sites I check when we are encountering difficulties. I saw the same issues on those sites as well. In another thread it was reported that Volusion has been aware of the issue for some time now but apparently have not been able to get it resolved. I have not filed a ticket myself. As I understand it this can be a regional issue. I am just concerned about anything that cold possible cause our site to look bad or load slowly. I do not think there is any way to tell whether the CDN is working at any given time in all areas.

Here is the other thread:
    Products Pics Gone Last Night
    AWCthreads likes this.

I am keeping CDN off until I get a resolve from V tech support. They have been very diligent on updating my ticket. The updates are not progress reports, but reminders that they are still investigating the issue.

I read that thread (good info in there Rick) but since I've not experienced missing images, I didn't give it much attention.

However, I am very curious about 3DCart's page load times, so I tested several of Dean's pages now that he is on 3DCart. All Volusion tested pages recommend browser caching - even though CDN is enabled for us. NONE of Dean's pages recommended it. His pages consistently graded in the better-than-80 percentile (about 10-20% higher on average than ours).

Why isn't the CDN used by Volusion recognized as browser caching?????? Is there no caching being done?

My images are all present, but page load times suck. Would disabling CDN improve load times?

Leveraging browser caching is totally different from using a CDN.

Here is a pretty good explanation:

http://fortheloveofseo.com/blog/perf...pires-headers/

And also from Google.

https://developers.google.com/speed/...ctices/caching

Thanks Rick. Your Swedish emarketing tigress friend explained things well. I like the tool she recommends.

How do I set up the expires in Volusion? Does 3DCart have an easy or easier way to do this than V?

Also, according to the report below the CDN is not recognized.

Why would it recommend using a CDN if I already am?

KKS
    Quote Originally Posted by AWCthreads View Post
    I have been wondering the same thing for a long time. All of the SEO analysis tools I have looked at tell me to use a CDN, although I have it enabled. However, the same tools also tell me I have no Facebook and Twitter, so maybe not 100% reliable. ??

GGG
    Call me a cynic, but I'm pretty sure some of those SEO tool companies are trying to get your business.
    KKS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AWCthreads View Post
    Thanks Rick. Your Swedish emarketing tigress friend explained things well. I like the tool she recommends.

How do I set up the expires in Volusion? Does 3DCart have an easy or easier way to do this than V?

Also, according to the report below the CDN is not recognized.

1. Expires are set up at the server level. You can do nothing. Only Volusion can.

2. The reason that CDN is not recognized is likely because only a portion of your Volusion site is CDN enabled, specifically, the product images. All other elements of your site are not using a CDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick H. View Post
    1. Expires are set up at the server level. You can do nothing. Only Volusion can.

2. The reason that CDN is not recognized is likely because only a portion of your Volusion site is CDN enabled, specifically, the product images. All other elements of your site are not using a CDN.
    As to #1 - why can't V set this up? How hard is it? Do expirations vary too much to make the settings universal for everyone or can they set it up so we control expirations?

#2 The CDN covers product and category images. I think I tested the homepage which would not be on CDN I suppose. I'll test some more.

Quote Originally Posted by KKS View Post
    All of the SEO analysis tools I have looked at tell me to use a CDN, although I have it enabled.
    Are you sure its CDN? I always get the browser caching recommendation. I get he CDN very infrequently. In fact, if I understand this stuff correctly you shouldn't need CDN if you can leverage browser caching properly.

KKS
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H. View Post
    Thank you Rick. That does explain it.

I have received information that the CDN issue has been resolved. No reason why..

super
    www.chabileather.com
    AWCthreads likes this.

GGG
    Thanks, supercool.

I'll enable again and keep an eye on...

KKS
    I am noticing some product photo latency in my store today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast