Get Your Author Snippet on Search Results Pages

Understand Why and Learn How to Set This Up Properly on Your Store

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Quadica
  • 1 Post By deanp
  • 1 Post By GGG

Thread: Bad Company

Bad Company

I recently read the following article: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...ng-Site-Audits

I was concerned by the paragraph that stated:

"Hosting...You should have some version of dedicated, virtual dedicated hosting or your own server. These types of hosting mean that when the search engine spider hits your site it thinks your site is all alone.

Tip: You want to keep your site alone in its room. Google has been known to devalue sites based on the company they keep on a server. Don't let hanging out with the bad kids hurt your site."

I have heard anecdotal references to this before but not any official line ie. Matt Cutts.
    Any of you SEO Experts have any authoritative information on this?

How do the rest of you feel about it if you are not on a dedicated server or are most people on this forum dedicated now?

I can talk about my own personal experience with SEO over the past 12 years of operating the same ecommerce site. And for the most part I have found that worrying about this type of minutiae is truly a waste of time and energy.

When I first started out I spent hundreds of hours studying and researching SEO and tweaking and changing our site to deal with the latest SEO theories or accommodate the latest search engine algorithm update. I fretted constantly about not using my keywords enough times on a page, or the number of backlinks I had coming into my site. And over the years it seem to of worked as our site always placed high in the SERPs.

But about three years ago I completely stopped doing keyword research, counting keywords in pages, counting the number of backlinks we had to our site, or worrying about the latest search engine algorithmic update. Instead I simply focused on providing relevant content for our customers. And you know what? Our site continued to place high in the SERPs. In fact, I would say it even improved for most pages.

So based on my experience, these are the areas that I would recommend other ecommerce merchants focus on:

• Write grammatically correct product and page content that your customers will find informative and useful. Always keep it fresh, accurate and up-to-date.
    • Write 30 words of unique, grammatically correct content that your customers would find helpful for the description metatag for every page and product on your site.
    • Create a unique title for every page and product on your site that is not more than 50 characters long. Again the title should be written for your customer's benefit.
    • Monitor and fix any page errors that show up in Google's Webmaster Crawl Errors tool. You should have no broken links or missing content. Obsolete or missing web pages should always be 301 redirected to relevant replacement content.
    • Be sure that all backlinks to your site go somewhere relevant. You can get a list of links from other sites to your site from the webmaster tools provided by Google and Bing.
    • Finally, be patient! It can take months to see results, but you will see results.

Bottom line? Stop optimizing your site for search engines and focus on optimizing content for your customers.
    GentleBath likes this.
    Volusion refugee

It stands to reason that an Ecommmerce Platform like Volusion won't be picky about who they sell to and unless on a dedicated server each of us is probably sharing with hundreds of poor spammy sites...

...Or people that get damned by the search engines because they haven't put the time and effort into trying to optimise their site either through laziness or lack of knowledge/support and end up classed as spammy sites by google.

You know what never heard that bottom line comment before...ever...thought content was something to put in sandwiches nothing to do with websites honest
    Last edited by Kitty; 07-21-2013 at 10:59 AM.

My Social Networking

Follow deanp On Twitter Add deanp on Facebook Add deanp on Google+
    Add deanp on Linkedin Visit deanp's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    ...You should have some version of dedicated, virtual dedicated hosting or your own server.

...Google has been known to devalue sites based on the company they keep on a server. Don't let hanging out with the bad kids hurt your site.
    The above quotes are a really, really bad way of explaining C-block IP Addresses.

The idea is that two websites with the IP Addresses 192.168.1.20 and 192.168.1.25 are likely too related to one another, and probably on the same server, owned by the same person or company, etc. Thus, site dot20 doesn't gain much credit by having site dot25 link to it. I.e., backlinks on dot25 aren't valuable to dot20.

Much better low-tech explanation here:

http://www.blindfiveyearold.com/what...ock-ip-address

Keep in mind though that this is just one of many current obsessions with SEOs who think they have Google all figured out.

"zomg! u need C-block backlinkz 4 gud SEO!!!!1" Right.

Like usual, IP structure of where your backlinks are is just ONE OF MANY factors in how Google does out rank.

Thanks Dean for offering your usual scintillating clarity. Much appreciated! I guess I am just a bit pedantic my nature is to worry about detail and I like to understand things thoroughly which empowers a person to make educated decisions.

The vid from Matt Cutts on the article answered my questions perfectly too, basically he said don't worry about it they expect on shared hosting that there will be mix of websites including spam sites and if they started damning ip's with spam sites the spam sites would just keep migrating so there would be no point.

As you rightly said the only thing that really has much potential impact is the link sharing across an ip and even that is not that much worth worrying about.

GGG
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    I guess I am just a bit pedantic my nature is to worry about detail and I like to understand things thoroughly
    Amen, sister!
    Kitty likes this.