Need FTP access to your Volusion ecommerce store? Follow our quick tutorial on setting up a FTP account to get the backstage access you require.
Why Do I Need FTP Access?
For many Volusion store owners you may never need FTP access but there are many reasons why you might:
- Ability to upload images in bulk
- Add custom code or files
- Add HTML verification files (e.g. Google, Yahoo, and Bing)
- Add or update Volusion email templates
- Upload custom templates
If it’s time to access your store via FTP you may begin to wonder, where do I add this user?
Creating a Volusion FTP Account
Where most people struggle with FTP account creation is that you do not create the account inside your store. Volusion requires you to create your FTP account from within your merchant login ID which can be different from the login ID you currently use to access your dashboard on a daily basis.
To create your FTP login you’ll need to:
- Login in to your Volusion merchant account at: http://my.volusion.com
- Click “Manage FTP” from the left navigation
- If you have more than one domain, you will need to select the correct domain name. Otherwise click “Add” to create a new FTP account
- Now add a user name and password. You can fine tune the permissions to only allow read access and also restrict access to only certain folders. For example, if you are using a custom sitemap program and auto uploads the XML file you would want to limit that account’s access to prevent abuse if that account got compromised. Note: both the username and password must contain at least 8 characters each and also must contain upper-case and lower-case letters and at least 1 number.
- Make sure you note your password and then click “Save” to complete the process.
FTP Account Complete
You may now begin to use your FTP account immediately.